Windows 7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Windows 7

Post by fern »

I have been testing it and certainly is a very good product. Any guy being a non freak or geek or expert can use it without qualms. Experts, of course, have another view. They prefer Linux and surely they have good reasons. For the layman, is the opposite. I tried Linux a couple of times and always I felt out of my terrain just trying to start a program. There is, for that layman, as I am, no reason to abandon a long practice just to appear as an expert and get an accolade from them. Even current Vista, after all the patches and upgrades, is working fine.

Fern, Microsoft employee....
ilari

Re: Windows 7

Post by ilari »

fern wrote:I tried Linux a couple of times and always I felt out of my terrain just trying to start a program.
Aren't you the guy who couldn't get Shredder's Linux version to run, and then decided to blame Linux instead of the makers/distributors of the half-assed software package? If so, this argument from ignorance is cute, but also dishonest. If I send you a badly packaged Windows application, and you fail to run it, is it my fault or Microsoft's fault?

BTW, my 14-year-old little sisters use Linux. They must be geniuses.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

ilari wrote:
fern wrote:I tried Linux a couple of times and always I felt out of my terrain just trying to start a program.
Aren't you the guy who couldn't get Shredder's Linux version to run, and then decided to blame Linux instead of the makers/distributors of the half-assed software package? If so, this argument from ignorance is cute, but also dishonest. If I send you a badly packaged Windows application, and you fail to run it, is it my fault or Microsoft's fault?

BTW, my 14-year-old little sisters use Linux. They must be geniuses.
Everyone has preferences. Some people love windows. Some love the Mac. Some love Linux. There are even OpenVMS affectionados.

For some reason, operating system preferences turn into religious battlefields without the slightest provocation.

Search me, I like 'em all.
ilari

Post by ilari »

Dann Corbit wrote: Search me, I like 'em all.
No worries, you're cool in my book. I also like some aspects of Mac, Windows, and Linux. But I may sometimes react if the arguments used in these "religious wars" are only loosely (or not at all) based in reality.

It applies to Windows-bashing as well. For example, I couldn't get a game called Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory to work on Vista 64-bit. So instead of sending a death threat to Bill Gates, I figured out that the problem was the game's insane copy protection system which tries to replace Windows' cdrom driver or something like that.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Linux is OK, but I prefer NetBSD. The new 5.0 is a damn fine OS.

Linux tries to make it too easy to use.
bob

Post by bob »

Zach Wegner wrote:Linux is OK, but I prefer NetBSD. The new 5.0 is a damn fine OS.

Linux tries to make it too easy to use.
Linux is really the kernel. All the other crap gets added on by the distro managers. The linux kernel may well be the best pure O/S kernel in existence.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

ilari wrote:
fern wrote: BTW, my 14-year-old little sisters use Linux.
Wow :wink: That sounds like you have not exposed them to the much easier alternative :D

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
fern

Post by fern »

No need to be harsh and I do not see where my dishonesty lay. Certainly your daughter is smarter than me. Congratulations.

Fern
ilari

Post by ilari »

fern wrote:No need to be harsh and I do not see where my dishonesty lay. Certainly your daughter is smarter than me. Congratulations.

Fern
I didn't mean to be any harsher than was needed to get the point across. I called your argument dishonest because you were expecting something from Linux that you'd never expect from Windows.

Unfortunately I don't have any daughters yet. My sisters may or may not be smarter than you, but they're very open to new things.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

ilari wrote:
fern wrote:No need to be harsh and I do not see where my dishonesty lay. Certainly your daughter is smarter than me. Congratulations.

Fern
I didn't mean to be any harsher than was needed to get the point across. I called your argument dishonest because you were expecting something from Linux that you'd never expect from Windows.

Unfortunately I don't have any daughters yet. My sisters may or may not be smarter than you, but they're very open to new things.
Everything looks foreign when you have not used it.

I remember the first time I used a pc, I created batch files for all the commands like this:

ls.bat:
dir %1

etc.