Any Experiences in Cross-Platform Develoment Tools?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ilari

Re: Any Experiences in Cross-Platform Develoment Tools?

Post by ilari »

That would be another implication. Nevertheless you have to enable the customers of your programs to relink a somehow changed used LGPL library theirselves to your program version, maybe moreover during a very long time.
If you don't modify the Qt libraries, and if you use dynamic linking, you don't have to worry about a thing. This part of the LGPL sums it up:
A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it, is called a "work that uses the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and therefore falls outside the scope of this License.
Pay extra attention to the part that says "falls outside the scope of this License".
smrf

Post by smrf »

Well, I will find out then, whether there is a chance for a dynamic binding only in all targeted OSs ...

Until now, this obscure licensing stuff has not at all been encouraging to me.
ilari

Post by ilari »

smrf wrote:Well, I will find out then, whether there is a chance for a dynamic binding only in all targeted OSs ...
There should be, unless you're targeting DOS or some other ancient OS. You can still include the Qt libraries in your application package, but the users have the choice of replacing those libraries with a newer version of Qt.