Mephisto Chess Challenger

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PerroMaster

Mephisto Chess Challenger

Post by PerroMaster »

A few days ago I receive my new toy, the Mephisto Chess Challenger. It works perfectly, and I am very happy :D whit it.
I have only a doubt, I wonder if there is a way to activate or deactivate the permanent brain feature.
It seems that it is in this aspect a little different compared with others computers of the same brand, as are the Chess Explorer and the Saitek Cosmos.

The computer is similar to this one. : http://www.chessusa.com/Merchant2/merch ... ct_Count=2
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Mephisto Chess Challenger

Post by mclane »

i do also have this machine. why should the permanent brain not work with this machine ? its a normal frans morsch chess engine and if you set up the energy-setting accurate, it should work like all the others.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

PerroMaster wrote:A few days ago I receive my new toy, the Mephisto Chess Challenger. It works perfectly, and I am very happy :D whit it.
I have only a doubt, I wonder if there is a way to activate or deactivate the permanent brain feature.
It seems that it is in this aspect a little different compared with others computers of the same brand, as are the Chess Explorer and the Saitek Cosmos.

The computer is similar to this one. : http://www.chessusa.com/Merchant2/merch ... ct_Count=2
Hi Ricardo
while i do not have the Mephisto Chess Challenger ..
i wonder if the computer has an EASY option?
the other Saitek/Morsch computers have this option
turning EASY ON means the computer will not PONDER on the opponents time(Permanent Brain OFF)

Regards
Steve
mclane

Post by mclane »

steve it can be that EASY is part of the different power-saving features and that one of the power-saving modes IS "easy", because this also saves energy.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

mclane wrote:steve it can be that EASY is part of the different power-saving features and that one of the power-saving modes IS "easy", because this also saves energy.
its possible i guess
as i say i do not have the Mep Challenger
it should be EASY for Ricardo to check the instruction manual and read the details of easy mode..i would imagine that one of the easy levels halts pondering on the opponents move(which is the case with many Morsch programs)
it would of course be very EASY to check if the computer is pondering on the opponents time or is not

EASY As Pie Regards
Steve
:o
PerroMaster

Post by PerroMaster »

Thanks Steve B and Thorsten Czub for yours replies.
I did not find the EASY Mode that the other machines have. (I also have the Saitek Cosmos, the Chess Explorer, and the Advanced Travel Chess, all these have the EASY Mode)
Anyway, it is not crucial issue. The machine works perfectly well, and its game is strong, even with only 30 seconds for the computer to calculate its move (of course, I am not Kasparov ..)

The manual of the Chess Challenger is here for download (a pdf file), if somebody is interested on reading it.:
http://www.saitek.com/manuals/CT05V-ChessChallenger.pdf
ernest

Post by ernest »

PerroMaster wrote:The manual of the Chess Challenger is here for download (a pdf file), if somebody is interested on reading it.
Indeed "2.8 Thinking on the Opponent’s Time" seems to be always ON...
mclane

Post by mclane »

and the best thing:you can tune the machine up to 24 mhz only by replacing the quarz.
rightrook

Post by rightrook »

Hi...Don't forget to play some games at the 1 ply or 2 ply levels...if available...

Some of my best games (with portables) were at these low levels where i was able to make a "brilliant sacrifice"....and win the game.... :lol:

Have fun regards...

Robert
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

rightrook wrote:Hi...Don't forget to play some games at the 1 ply or 2 ply levels...if available...

Some of my best games (with portables) were at these low levels where i was able to make a "brilliant sacrifice"....and win the game.... :lol:

Have fun regards...

Robert
At this level I'll gain 9 out of ten games if not 10 out of ten....
Phycision vs dedicated units regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….