Interview with Stefan Meyer-Kahlen

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Glarean
Full name: Walter Eigenmann

Interview with Stefan Meyer-Kahlen

Post by Glarean »

There's a new interview with the programmer of Shredder: Stefan Meyer-Kahlen.

Read it here:
http://glareanverlag.wordpress.com/2009 ... er-kahlen/

(in german - try the translation: http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate ... Cbersetzen

Regards: Walter

AdminX

Re: Interview with Stefan Meyer-Kahlen

Post by AdminX »

Thanks, Nice read. All 6 men shredderbase are completed now in just 40GB! How cool is that? :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

This is old news.. from 2007-11-05 already. It was mentionend in an interview we made with Stefan back then and can be read on the Arena or Shredder page.

Michael
ernest

Post by ernest »

Michael Diosi wrote:from 2007-11-05 already. It was mentionend in an interview we made with Stefan back then and can be read on the Arena or Shredder page.
Don't remember ever seing before, this 40GB figure... Do you have the (precise) link?
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

Stefan Meyer bald one[lol]: Shredder-12 appears at the end of of July. The new engine is improved and in the various rank lists a large leap clear forward will surely make. My judgement however at least just as importantly at the new Shredder 12 the Elostufen, with which one can stop the play strength in Elo, is with which Shredder to play is. That folded in the old Shredder already completely well, but I invested and think here very much work that it functions now still much better. Shredder makes now also the typical errors, which a human player with the adjusted play strength makes. Shredder computed now also the play strength of the user better and adapts when desired automatically to this play strength. That is surely very many more important for the normal user than the last few Elos.
seems he's sticking to his guns on that july date. we'll see if he makes it. i really like what he seems to have to say about creating a human-like playing opponent. i've been waiting for one of the big names to put some real effort into that.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

ernest wrote:
Michael Diosi wrote:from 2007-11-05 already. It was mentionend in an interview we made with Stefan back then and can be read on the Arena or Shredder page.
Don't remember ever seing before, this 40GB figure... Do you have the (precise) link?
It's the 1st link in the post above.

GM: Eine weitere Neuerung kam ab Shredder 10 mit den «Shredder-Bases». Darin werden zu den gespeicherten Endspielstellungen nicht wie in den «Nalimov- Datenbanken» Zugzahlen zum Gewinn oder Remis gespeichert, sondern nur Bewertungen. Das macht den Zugriff während der Partie schneller und bei kurzen Bedenkzeiten besser nutzbar. Wird es die kompletten 6- Steiner, die es von Nalimov gibt, als Shredderbases geben und was kann man sich davon für den Partie-Erfolg erwarten?

MK: Ja, es wird die kompletten 6-Steiner als Shredderbases geben. Wir haben eine Beta-Version sogar schon fertig, die für alle 6-Steiner ca. 40 GB braucht. Leider gab es noch kleinere Probleme, und anderer Projekte hatten Priorität, so dass wir die 6-Steiner etwas zurückgestellt haben, sie werden aber bald definitiv kommen.
Was das alles an Spielstärke bringt, ist eine gute Frage. Ehrlich gesagt hatte ich schon erwartet, dass die 5-Steiner als Shredderbases mehr bringen. Man hat dort schließlich sehr schnellen Zugriff auf den perfekten Wert für alle Stellungen mit 5 oder weniger Figuren.
Meine Einstellung zurzeit ist, dass die Endspiel-Datenbanken für das praktische Spiel sicher nicht schaden, und irgendwann wird es sicher was bringen. Wenn die 6-Steiner nicht helfen, dann vielleicht die 7-Steiner. Wenn die nicht, dann die 8-Steiner… Spätestens bei 32 ist Schluss, und die bringen garantiert was…

Translated by Google

GM: Another innovation came from shredder 10 with the "Shredder Bases". These are the final positions are not stored as in the "Nalimov databases» Zugzahlen to win or draw saved, but only reviews. This makes the access during the game faster and more usable short reflection. Will there be the complete 6 - Steiner, the Nalimov it from there, as Shredder Bases give and what you can for the lot of them, expect success?

MK: Yes, it is the complete 6-Steiner as Shredder Bases give. We have a beta version is already finished, for all 6-men need about 40 GB. Unfortunately, there were minor problems, and other projects had priority, so that we have the 6-men have returned somewhat, but they are definitely coming soon.
What it all to play, is a good question. Honestly, I had already expected that the 5-Steiner as Shredder Bases bring more. It has finally there very fast access to the perfect value for all positions with 5 or less characters.
My attitude now is that the endgame databases for the practical game certainly does not hurt, and eventually it will bring what. When the 6-men do not help, then perhaps the 7-Steiner. If not, then the 8-Steiner ... At least at 32 is final, and what guarantees will ...
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Waste of time

Post by Sylwy »

AdminX wrote: All 6 men shredderbase are completed now in just 40GB! How cool is that? :D

Waste of time ! Tablebases aren't so important for a chess engine. I have a lot of tournaments played-by rotation- using 10-15 top engines with TBS and without TBS. Any impact ! Even Shredder 11 UCI using shredderbases loaded into RAM + GUI linked to TBS - versus Shredder 11 UCI without any help. ANY IMPACT ! At least for a good chess engine !

Only 32 men TBS will be important ! :lol:

Regards,
Silvian
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

You need to make baby steps.

It might not help in useless chess engine vs. engine games which are just wasting electricity but according to some experts it is a huge help when analysing...belive me...

Michael
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Sylwy wrote:
AdminX wrote: All 6 men shredderbase are completed now in just 40GB! How cool is that? :D

Waste of time ! Tablebases aren't so important for a chess engine. I have a lot of tournaments played-by rotation- using 10-15 top engines with TBS and without TBS. Any impact ! Even Shredder 11 UCI using shredderbases loaded into RAM + GUI linked to TBS - versus Shredder 11 UCI without any help. ANY IMPACT ! At least for a good chess engine !

Regards,
Silvian
They are very important for real chess players who analyze their games. People in this forum keep forgetting them all the time because of the ELO fever.

Miguel
PS: Your tests are with 6 pc or 5 pc?
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

michiguel wrote:
Sylwy wrote:

Regards,
Silvian
They are very important for real chess players who analyze their games. People in this forum keep forgetting them all the time because of the ELO fever.

Miguel
PS: Your tests are with 6 pc or 5 pc?

Hi !

Even in engine vs. engine games the moves were analysed a lot ( I have some tournaments at 40/1h ). Why consider you the analyse of a relatival complex endgame (6-10 men ) to be so important for a human ? Kramnik missed a mate in one ! And I never see an increase of human strength in endgames after the development of chess engines.

>Your tests are with 6 pc or 5 pc ? <

No-only 4 -but from many years !

Regards,
Silvian

PS: a question for you & for Mr.Diosi - CEGT , CCRL , SSDF.............wasting electricity ? So sorry !