Problem with pipe inheritance...

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Stephan Vermeire (Brutus)

Problem with pipe inheritance...

Post by Stephan Vermeire (Brutus) »

Hi,

This is my first post in this forum, I am hoping that someone can help me with the next problem.

Currently I am working on i/o multhithreading for Brutus. The GUI starts the first instance of Brutus which communicates fine with the GUI (winboard). Brutus starts another process which does the actual thinking and prints the resulting move to stdout.

When I start Brutus as a console, everything works fine. Under Arena as well: no problems. Under winboard however, the thinkingprocess isn't printing anything visibly!

I guess it has something to do with inheritace of the pipe handle. How can I do that? I have tried the following (which didn't work):

Code: Select all

STARTUPINFO si;
memset(& si, 0, sizeof(si));
si.cb = sizeof(STARTUPINFO);

si.dwFlags = STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW|STARTF_USESTDHANDLES;
si.hStdOutput=stdout;

...followed by....

CreateProcess(NULL, newName, NULL, NULL, TRUE, 0, 0, NULL, & si, & pi)

Now, the thinking-process doesn't show any input in the console either! What am I doing wrong here?

Hoping for a good suggestion, best wishes,
Stephan
bob

Re: Problem with pipe inheritance...

Post by bob »

Stephan Vermeire (Brutus) wrote:Hi,

This is my first post in this forum, I am hoping that someone can help me with the next problem.

Currently I am working on i/o multhithreading for Brutus. The GUI starts the first instance of Brutus which communicates fine with the GUI (winboard). Brutus starts another process which does the actual thinking and prints the resulting move to stdout.

When I start Brutus as a console, everything works fine. Under Arena as well: no problems. Under winboard however, the thinkingprocess isn't printing anything visibly!

I guess it has something to do with inheritace of the pipe handle. How can I do that? I have tried the following (which didn't work):

STARTUPINFO si;
memset(& si, 0, sizeof(si));
si.cb = sizeof(STARTUPINFO);

si.dwFlags = STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW|STARTF_USESTDHANDLES;
si.hStdOutput=stdout;

...followed by....

CreateProcess(NULL, newName, NULL, NULL, TRUE, 0, 0, NULL, & si, & pi)

Now, the thinking-process doesn't show any input in the console either! What am I doing wrong here?

Stephan
Under unix there is no problem here, so you probably need to look for programming issues you have missed. When you create a new process, everything is shared between the parent and child, including any open descriptors. The only rule you need to satisfy is that both parent and child must not read from the _same_ pipe. This introduces a race condition that needs to be avoided at all cost. writes to stdout from multiple processes works just fine, although the output can be mangled with respect to order.

What is the "CreateProcess()" about? It is possible that you are using something that does odd things. It is not clear whether this is based on the normal fork() or on posix threads, since you have some sort of wrapper that hides the details.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

It is a Windows API call. I don't think they know the word POSIX at MicroSoft...

bob wrote:
Under unix there is no problem here, so you probably need to look for programming issues you have missed. When you create a new process, everything is shared between the parent and child, including any open descriptors. The only rule you need to satisfy is that both parent and child must not read from the _same_ pipe. This introduces a race condition that needs to be avoided at all cost. writes to stdout from multiple processes works just fine, although the output can be mangled with respect to order.

What is the "CreateProcess()" about? It is possible that you are using something that does odd things. It is not clear whether this is based on the normal fork() or on posix threads, since you have some sort of wrapper that hides the details.
Thanx for your quick repy!

The program is windows based, it is I suppose an API-problem. (Harm Geert is correct on this one). There are no processes reading from the same pipe, that would give serious problems indeed and has been avoided. The simultanuous printing is regulated by a mutex. As a console, all this works fine.

The trouble begins when I try to specify the stdout for the child process.
For some reason I am unable to feed the stdout from the parent to the child. It works only when I use specify no pipe at all, in that case the default for standard output is the console window's buffer. My guess is, winboard doesn't use this buffer and as a result all printing doesn't get through.

I think it is a specific windows problem.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Stephan Vermeire (Brutus) wrote:Hi,

Stephan
Hi Stephan,
are you aware of this site? The topic seems related to your problem.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx

Cheers,
Gerd
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:It is a Windows API call. I don't think they know the word POSIX at MicroSoft...
If he is running this under Unix, why is he using that I wonder???

Gerd Isenberg wrote: Hi Stephan,
are you aware of this site? The topic seems related to your problem.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx

Cheers,
Gerd
That was exactly what I was looking for! I found the problem:

si.hStdOutput=stdout

....must be:

si.hStdOutput=GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);

Thanx a lot! You have been of great help!

Best wishes,
Stephan
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Stephan Vermeire (Brutus) wrote:
That was exactly what I was looking for! I found the problem:

si.hStdOutput=stdout

....must be:

si.hStdOutput=GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);

Some luck with Google.

MS Handles seem not that typesafe that one can assign a FILE* ;-)