The Hiarcs Forum Challenges the CCC Forum

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JEB_Tucson

The Hiarcs Forum Challenges the CCC Forum

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Hello CCC Members

My name is James Biggers, ID: JEB_Tucson, and I am the captain of the HIARCS Forum's chess team, the HIARCS Headbangers. We would like to challenge the CCC Forum members to play a friendly game of team chess.

We have been playing these team games for a numbers of years now and find that they are a lot of fun. Additionally, many have commented that due to the level of the game play, some new Chess opening theory has been developed. Certainly we have found errors in many books. These games tend to be quite different due to the nature of team play, the 48 hour time control, varied engine usage, and the fact that it's not engine vs engine but people vs people getting assistance from engines and anything else that they desire. Those that enjoy engine vs engine blitz games may not find this type of a game very interesting, but, you never know. The Hiarcs Headbangers are made up of rookies to GMs, National Champions and Freestyle Champions. Engine usage is extremely varied, for example, I use Hiarcs, Fritz, and Crafty. Well, enough intro.

So, let's see the extent that the CCC grasps the game of Chess. Only with perfect play will you be able to even draw against the Headbangers. Do you accept our challenge?

The proposed game rules are:

Game Rules:
1. CCC + engines vs HIARCS Headbangers + engines.
2. CCC picks their color for first game. If both Teams agree to a second game then the Team colors are reversed.
3. Clock starts with first move on 25 July 2009 GMT.
4. 48 hour strict time control. The team that misses their time control will forfeit the game unless both sides agree to continue play. Unused time is lost. Time does not accumulate.
5. All team moves are posted on the HIARCS Forum: Tournament Results & Games voting thread by the Team Captains. The Hiarcs server time indicated on the move post is the opponents clock start time.
6. Team Captains:
Hiarcs Headbangers Captains: JEB_Tucson / NATIONAL12
CCC Forum Captains: TBD / alternate TBD
7. No player can be a member of both Teams at the same time and posting votes in both Team voting threads is punishable by death. :)

If you do accept the challenge, I need to know your Captain's ID's. These will be the ID's used when you cast the vote for your team and, if possible, should be the same ID you use here in the CCC Forum.

The URL used by the captains for the official game moves is:
http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2486

If modifications to the Game Rules need to be made, a CCC Team Captain should contact either myself or Steve B. Steve is acting as a neutral party to insure that both Teams behave themselves and that the game is conducted in an ethical manner.

Sincerely
James
Christopher Conkie

Re: The Hiarcs Forum Challenges the CCC Forum

Post by Christopher Conkie »

JEB_Tucson wrote:Hello CCC Members

My name is James Biggers, ID: JEB_Tucson, and I am the captain of the HIARCS Forum's chess team, the HIARCS Headbangers. We would like to challenge the CCC Forum members to play a friendly game of team chess.

We have been playing these team games for a numbers of years now and find that they are a lot of fun. Additionally, many have commented that due to the level of the game play, some new Chess opening theory has been developed. Certainly we have found errors in many books. These games tend to be quite different due to the nature of team play, the 48 hour time control, varied engine usage, and the fact that it's not engine vs engine but people vs people getting assistance from engines and anything else that they desire. Those that enjoy engine vs engine blitz games may not find this type of a game very interesting, but, you never know. The Hiarcs Headbangers are made up of rookies to GMs, National Champions and Freestyle Champions. Engine usage is extremely varied, for example, I use Hiarcs, Fritz, and Crafty. Well, enough intro.

So, let's see the extent that the CCC grasps the game of Chess. Only with perfect play will you be able to even draw against the Headbangers. Do you accept our challenge?

The proposed game rules are:

Game Rules:
1. CCC + engines vs HIARCS Headbangers + engines.
2. CCC picks their color for first game. If both Teams agree to a second game then the Team colors are reversed.
3. Clock starts with first move on 25 July 2009 GMT.
4. 48 hour strict time control. The team that misses their time control will forfeit the game unless both sides agree to continue play. Unused time is lost. Time does not accumulate.
5. All team moves are posted on the HIARCS Forum: Tournament Results & Games voting thread by the Team Captains. The Hiarcs server time indicated on the move post is the opponents clock start time.
6. Team Captains:
Hiarcs Headbangers Captains: JEB_Tucson / NATIONAL12
CCC Forum Captains: TBD / alternate TBD
7. No player can be a member of both Teams at the same time and posting votes in both Team voting threads is punishable by death. :)

If you do accept the challenge, I need to know your Captain's ID's. These will be the ID's used when you cast the vote for your team and, if possible, should be the same ID you use here in the CCC Forum.

The URL used by the captains for the official game moves is:
http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2486

If modifications to the Game Rules need to be made, a CCC Team Captain should contact either myself or Steve B. Steve is acting as a neutral party to insure that both Teams behave themselves and that the game is conducted in an ethical manner.

Sincerely
James
The CCC and CTF accept your challenge because......
Only with perfect play will you be able to even draw against the Headbangers. Do you accept our challenge?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

.....we like over confidence.

;-)

I am the team captain of our team and my Alternate is Henrik Dinesen. Our user id's are the same as our real names in both places.

You see, we feel no need to hide behind some poultry abbreviation or pseudo.

;-)

We choose white for the first game because we already know we can beat you with black. In fact, it probably does not matter but we would like to give you a sporting chance....... We might even spot you a pawn in future.

;-)

Ready when you are.......

Bloodthirstily

Christopher
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Hi Christopher and Hendrik

Thanks for accepting our challenge. It should be a fun game. If I can be of any assistance on the Hiarcs end, please let me know. Post your first move on 25 July.

Yes...our confidence is only matched by our chess playing ability as you will find out. :) So you picked White.........wise choice!
Wow, you will even spot us a pawn......Should we remove one of your pawns now? Certainly, you will allow the Headbangers to pick which pawn we remove. :)

Thanks Again
James
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

CCC should be very afraid as one of our team is one of only 2 people to defeat Cluster Rybka http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33809#33809
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Harvey Williamson wrote:CCC should be very afraid as one of our team is one of only 2 people to defeat Cluster Rybka http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33809#33809
Yes Harvey, it's a great result againt the cluster indeed.
But hey, if we we're afraid I don't think we should play :) For now people are beginning to step forward, but we're far from a team like you guys. Who know what we can do ? ;)
Henrik
Harvey Williamson

Henrik Dinesen wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:CCC should be very afraid as one of our team is one of only 2 people to defeat Cluster Rybka http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33809#33809
But hey, if we we're afraid I don't think we should play :) For now people are beginning to step forward, but we're far from a team like you guys. Who know what we can do ? ;)
Oh btw Highendman - who is the only other person to beat the Cluster has now joined us. He is also the only person to win with Black.
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Henrik Dinesen wrote:
Oh btw Highendman - who is the only other person to beat the Cluster has now joined us. He is also the only person to win with Black.
Thx for telling.

Been following the clusterthreads in Rybka forum.

Beginning to feel that you're taking the game serious, that's great ;)
Henrik
Harvey Williamson

Henrik Dinesen wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Henrik Dinesen wrote:
Thx for telling.

Been following the clusterthreads in Rybka forum.

Beginning to feel that you're taking the game serious, that's great ;)
I do not take it that seriously - to many correspondence games to play - but some in our team do for sure. I am sure it will be a lot of fun :)
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

I am sure it will be a lot of fun :)
Mainthing ! :)[/quote]
Henrik
towforce

Post by towforce »

Go CTF - make the Hiarcs Headbangers pay for their impertinence! :P
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!