CCC Forum vs Hiarcs Forum Game Is Canceled

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JEB_Tucson

CCC Forum vs Hiarcs Forum Game Is Canceled

Post by JEB_Tucson »

The game between the Hiarcs Forum and the CCC forum has been canceled.
The Hiarcs Forum is unable to meet a demand made by you Captain.

Thanks
James
Zach Wegner

Re: CCC Forum vs Hiarcs Forum Game Is Canceled

Post by Zach Wegner »

Sweet... that makes 2-0 for us. We are on a roll.

More seriously, this is pretty ridiculous. Can the "demand" really not be met? I seem to remember Harvey saying that you guys would send a list of your names to our captain. What changed?
bob

Post by bob »

This was pretty much doomed from the get-go.

First, you need at least 50% of the players to be adults, otherwise things will always degenerate into arguments and such.

Second, who cares whether someone is on both teams or not. This is _impossible_ to determine if someone really wants to do it. If A rule can't be enforced, then there is no point in having it in the first place.

Chess is supposed to be a game. One that is fun. Some seem to have great trouble grasping that small but significant point.

And then the always-present insults that are apparently unavoidable will be the last straw. As it always is.
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Zach

Perhaps my comment in the previous post was poorly worded. I delivered the list of names to your Captain.........He found the list unacceptable.

And, no, since the CCC Forum first rejected the neutral party then the Headbangers win. :)
Just kidding. No winners here just a big waste of both Forum's time.

Thanks
James
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

I knew it from the very start,that's why I didn't psot in the practice game and I didn't show my desire to join the team....
Things are pretty obvious regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I knew it from the very start,that's why I didn't psot in the practice game and I didn't show my desire to join the team....
Things are pretty obvious regards,
Dr.D
I, for my part, enjoyed the game. I saw black recover. It was only a shame that white resigned prematurely.

(I personally didn't see what was wrong with the setup)
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Zach Wegner wrote:Sweet... that makes 2-0 for us. We are on a roll.

More seriously, this is pretty ridiculous. Can the "demand" really not be met? I seem to remember Harvey saying that you guys would send a list of your names to our captain. What changed?
I don't think they treat anything as "friendly". They make rules and rules and rules. They even invent rules where no such rules exists.

With regard to names they did not provide them all. So no one who plays them can ever be sure that there is not some double dealing unless you know your own team well.

As far as I am concerned no one should ever play them because if you do you soon discover that "the ego has landed" as well.

I must admit that I do like Steve and Harvey.....but not at any price. Not where the integrity of many people and that trust seems to be more of an issue than what should only be a game. A friendly game at that.

Since they ran away in a huff......I have had many suggestions given to me such as a CCC v CTF game or even the CCC & CTF playing a non commercial party/forum where ego does not affect what happens.

It seems some knew it would be a bad idea to play against those who need their pride "intacto" no matter what.

We will see what comes of it. Maybe something good can come out of this after all.

Christopher
jesper_nielsen

Post by jesper_nielsen »

:shock:

I am sitting here with a huge, almost numbing, feeling of frustration and disapointment.

I am not the most vocal CCC member, so my voice is but tiny in this vast forum. I frequently read the posts here, and I happen to like this place!

I feel I have to put words on my feelings. The pressure is building inside me, and I have to let it out. This is not directed a anyone in particular, so please don't take it personal. This is just venting a bit of steam.

Maybe I am alone having these feelings... but then again maybe some people share them... anyway, i feel they need to be expressed.

These are just "Confessions of a man, insane enough to live with The Internet". Please treat them as such.

Friday afternoon I left for a weekend away in the beautiful rain-soaked danish summer landscape.

The prospect of being able to follow a "live" correspondence game filled me with excitement! :D

It rekindled my enthusiasm for digging deep into chess positions, trying to analyse and maybe, just maybe, even understand just a tiny bit of the complexities of this wonderful game called chess!

Having the insights and ideas of som very talented chessplayers described and maybe even explained! This is what the internet is all about! Bringing brilliant people together, sharing a common passion!

I was so excited! I started running Pupsi in multi pv variation mode on the practise game position, trying to understand the variations presented. Thrilled to see a number of variations exploiting the hole left on D6! Ok, we have got to cover that! A6 might be needed at some point to keep the knight from B5! Brilliant stuff!

I even started looking again at a pet project of mine: Writing my own Deep Analysis harness. Inspired by the IDEA analysis seen in the Aquarium Demo.

I knew I could not contribute significantly to the analysis of the game. On a good day I am around 1600, and my engine Pupsi gets it's tiny little behind spanked by the "real" engines.

But I felt like a giggling little kid, Looking forward to standing in a corner watching the big cool kids play!

But then ...

I come home monday and check the forum and I can't believe what I am seing!? Mayhem! Anarchy! Destruction!

What the hell happened here?! :cry:

Did I just stumble into some sort of alternate reality? (Most check if I suddenly have a nice looking beard? Nope, still ugly!)

Like someone pulled a cruel joke on me.

Lasker, i think, once said something like: "Lies do not survive long on the chessboard".

In this case it seems "Kindness", "Sportsmanship" and "Let Us Make This Work" did not even make it into the freaking room!

Why can we not "bend"? Why can we not "swallow a camel" or two in order to play a game?

You can't cheat the board! No pieces are suddely going to go missing. No pieces are suddenly going to appear.

Playing the game is everything.

I know I was incredible naive!
I Know I was stupid!
I know I was kidding myself!

But I was excited! I was thrilled!

Dammit! I was freaking flying!!

A frustrated dane,
Jesper
gerold

Post by gerold »

Steve and the other CCC members have continue the practice
game. It is great fun playing Steve's R30.
You can always take part as you are a member here.

Best to you,

Gerold.
Spock

Post by Spock »

gerold wrote:Steve and the other CCC members have continue the practice
game. It is great fun playing Steve's R30.
You can always take part as you are a member here.

Best to you,

Gerold.
Yes, playing Steve's dedicated units is great ! And I think it will work nicely too, very informal, exactly what is needed. If it works out, I hope he will do more.