Testing Hash Table with perft

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Roman Hartmann

Re: Testing Hash Table with perft: Solved

Post by Roman Hartmann »

hgm wrote:In my experience deep perft are very useful for testing move generators. An advanced move generator can have unexpected bugs that manifest themselves only in very rare situations. (E.g. capturing piece along the pin line when you use special code for pinned pieces, or a typo in a list of moves in a per-square target table.) You would only notice it in the perft of very special positions, that take many moves to set up from any plausible initial positition. (E.g. imagine a bug in the move table for a white King on e8...)

Doing sufficienty deep perfts would be very costly if you did not have an efficient perft program, so speed is a real issue there. Especially as during debugging you need to run the perft several times to zoom in on the error. Perft errors often have the nasty habit of disappearing when you start the perft from a position later along the branch with the error. (At least, they had for me in Joker.)
I can only second all of what is written above. And sometimes even a good bug hunting strategy including running perft tests with lot of different positions doesn't uncover all of the bugs unfortunately.
Last week I spotted an overlooked bug in my ep-move generation only due a loss on time in a game (Thanks to Olivie Deville again for telling me). This bug had the nasty habit of only showing up in very rare situations and therefore wasn't found when I ran my test-suite to check the validity of the generated moves.

best regards
Roman
diep

Post by diep »

hgm wrote:In my experience deep perft are very useful for testing move generators. An advanced move generator can have unexpected bugs that manifest themselves only in very rare situations. (E.g. capturing piece along the pin line when you use special code for pinned pieces, or a typo in a list of moves in a per-square target table.) You would only notice it in the perft of very special positions, that take many moves to set up from any plausible initial positition. (E.g. imagine a bug in the move table for a white King on e8...)

Doing sufficienty deep perfts would be very costly if you did not have an efficient perft program, so speed is a real issue there. Especially as during debugging you need to run the perft several times to zoom in on the error. Perft errors often have the nasty habit of disappearing when you start the perft from a position later along the branch with the error. (At least, they had for me in Joker.)
Of course total unoptimized i'm getting already millions of nps at perft with diep's generator which probably still is the fastest move generator around. For sure it is the fastest generic one around.

Do i read it correctly that you're defending optimizing just for perft?

p.s. as you know diep's move generator has been put in GPL so everyone is free to use it, drop me a line to get it + support.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Optimizing what? If the purpose is to get a fast perft, then optimizing on perft seems the prudent thing to do... :lol:

How fast is Diep's move generator for perft? E.g. how long does a (non-hashed) perft(7) from the opening position take, and is this with or without actually making and unmaking the last ply?
diep

Post by diep »

hgm wrote:Optimizing what? If the purpose is to get a fast perft, then optimizing on perft seems the prudent thing to do... :lol:

How fast is Diep's move generator for perft? E.g. how long does a (non-hashed) perft(7) from the opening position take, and is this with or without actually making and unmaking the last ply?
How could i care for perft, i'm not getting paid for nonsense unlike you.

I did care for semi-legal move generation though and optimized for that.

Vincent
hgm

Post by hgm »

So what do you use as a benchmark to test its performance, then?

(And what made you think I am getting payed to do anything? People pay me even if I do nothing... They have to, or they would lose their home! :lol: )
diep

Post by diep »

hgm wrote:So what do you use as a benchmark to test its performance, then?

(And what made you think I am getting payed to do anything? People pay me even if I do nothing... They have to, or they would lose their home! :lol: )
You're getting paid both by non-civilian government AND home owners?

Vincent
Jan Brouwer

Re: Testing Hash Table with perft

Post by Jan Brouwer »

Perft counts can also be used to test other parts of a chess program.
I have a compile flag which lets the full-fledged search generate perft numbers, so
that e.g. forgetting to filter killer moves from the remaining moves will be
detected.

Jan
hgm

Post by hgm »

diep wrote:You're getting paid both by non-civilian government AND home owners?
I am getting payed by tenants. Very politically incorrect, of course, but good busines... :wink:
diep

Post by diep »

hgm wrote:
diep wrote:You're getting paid both by non-civilian government AND home owners?
I am getting payed by tenants. Very politically incorrect, of course, but good busines... :wink:
Payed by tenants and paid by the government?

Vincent
hgm

Post by hgm »

Unfortunately, the government is payed by me... :cry: