'Avanced Chess' online tour with huge prize funds

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ciron

'Avanced Chess' online tour with huge prize funds

Post by Ciron »

It’s not my idea to advertise the tournament of a big and powerful company, but over the past days and weeks I wondered quite often, why there has been no note and no discussion on the “1st International Online Advanced Chess Tournament” on http://www.mundialchess.com with prize funds of more than 130,000 Euros, starting on October 5th.

For a while I was not quite sure, how the organizers define “advanced chess” (they even spoke of “Freistilschach”!) as they chose the strange time format of 10m+1s per game and player and as in an earlier document they wrote:
“GAME CONTROL: There shall be an arbitration committee composed of Counsellors, GM and International Arbiters who may be qualified to determine the loss of the game being deemed to have received any aid. The Committee may act on its own motion or upon complaints laid by a participant. For more information go to the MundialChess.com Sports Discipline Rules."

As I saw yesterday, they may have read my request :D - they deleted the text in bold type, so it seems they are really planning an Advanced Chess tour. Though there will still be much “Game Control”, as e.g. players are not allowed to chat with other players during their games.

Anyway, as for anyone experienced in computer chess this seems to be an excellent opportunity to win some thousand Euros, I expect that many of YOU – esp. many freestylers – will like to have a try. There are three categories with the following top cash prizes:
A) without FIDE-Elo up to FIDE-Elo 1500 (29,312 Euro, rank 1-4),
B) up to FIDE-Elo 2200 (25,554 Euro, rank 1-4) and
C) FIDE-Elo 2200+ (20,293 Euro, rank 1-4).
In addition there are more cash prizes and also special prizes.

Probably they expect the most players joining category A; while I find it funny to consider that this most probably will also be the hardest group in terms of computer chess :D

Now, there are two reasons why I am posting this:
a) Our own scheduling plans for a freestyle tour as proposed by private sponsor ‘Highendman’ in the Rybka forum (and may be InfinityChess as co-sponsor) have to count with a strong interest in the mundialchess tour between Oct. 5th and November 10th. I suggest, we should definitely not start before the end of this tour.
b) It is of general interest for all freestylers and probably also computer chess fans to watch this event, to discuss the concept and may be to join in (registration fee is 40 Euro).

Arno
mcostalba

Re: 'Avanced Chess' online tour with huge prize funds

Post by mcostalba »

Ciron wrote:It’s not my idea to advertise the tournament of a big and powerful company
Which company ? It is not clear from the site.

What is clear is that they want your money from 40 to 120 euro...who guarantees is not a fraud to get money from ingenuous chess lovers and then disappear ? (or to be an already combined tournment so that nobody outsider can win and they keep their money).
Ciron

Post by Ciron »

It's the well reputed organizer of the chess festivals in Benidorm (Spain), supported by various sponsors (like Groupo Bali - hotels).
So that's not the problem.

A problem might be how the concept will work in practice (esp. 10'+1" games); what it really means and which success it will have.
Sure it might be canceled, if they don't receive enough entries, but I think they have a good chance to attract as many players.

Serious websites like Susan Polgar's blog have already informed about the 'Advanced Chess' tour.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

I emailed Vasik about this tournament. His first thought was "is this for real?"

After reading through all the rules, I see they pay via bank accounts and don't use paypal. Also, if you win a section the only way to get your
prize is to enter and be physically present at the live tournament in Spain. Looks like they pay for most of the travel expenses.

They pay all the way down to 50th place in each section. The least prize you gain for 50th is the same as the entry fee.
You have to join their chess server but its free with an entry to a tournament.

Have you found out any more about this tournament? Requiring my bank account to pay me is sort of a red flag.
Ciron

Post by Ciron »

There is a thread in the Rybka forum with many postings:

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=12274

Of course their are many open questions, and I wait for information as announced on the website (in case you register) and also by my email contacts.

Generally I suppose the organizers are serious (though unexperienced with online and freestyle events), they are holding the Benidorm Chess Festival for the 8th time. Yet I don't know what will happen, if the shoud not receive as many entries in time. They don't say a word about this possibility, just as if all would be guaranteed.

I did not give my bank account at registration, but are waiting for their bank account in order to send the 36 Euro for early registration (before Sept. 1st). Waiting since 5 days or so and got no further message.