Windows icon association

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Windows icon association

Post by hgm »

The WinBoard installer associates the PGN extension with WinBoard, so that when I click a PGN file, WinBoard starts up as a PGN viewer. The PGN files then show up in the folder as black/yellow chess-board icons.

My problem is that I only see the chess-board icon when the extension contains capitals. When it is .pgn, I get the same icon as for files without extension. .PGN works, and .Pgn, .pGn, .pgN all give the chess-board too. Even when the extension is .pgn (like for all my PGN files), WinBoard is launched when I click it. But no icon!

Does anyone have an idea what could cause this strange behavior? (And please keep in mind you are talking to someone who doen't know what a registry is...)
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Windows icon association

Post by Vinvin »

It's quite strange, my windows doesn't make difference between uppercase and lowercase ...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Indeed. I have now tried to install on other laptops I have around, and there it always shows the icon, whatever case the extension uses. Also on my Win2k dektop. So I guess it must be my XP laptop's specific settings somehow.

Well, that is no problem, as I never use this association (I like my PGNs to open with notepad). It was just that I was testing the installer for WinBoard 4.4.0, and I was afraid it would be a bug in the install script.
stegemma
Full name: Stefano Gemma

Post by stegemma »

Sometimes strange things happens if you set "hide extensions for know file type", in the property of the explorer window. I don't know if this could help...