Grandmaster Excalibur Revenge his Brothers...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Grandmaster Excalibur Revenge his Brothers...

Post by fern »

After defeating one computer after the other the turn was for GM by Excalibur. Aroused by so many victories, I faced this duel with that attitude of self confidence that has killed so many players. I knew GM was supposedly better than Alexandra, but I simply was not in the mood for taking that seriously....so I played under my level and I was crushed two times in a row.
These defeats has a good salutary effect. You discover again a very old and well known truism: it is only necessary to play slightly less carefully than what you must and can and you will be caught. ANY decent machine -and GM is one of those- simply will not be surprised by that kind of cheap tactical tricks you use with effect in patzers, the moves you know has a refutation somewhere but that you play the same with the optimistic idea that the computer, as that ideal patzer, will not search enough to see the truth.
Humbled regards
Fern
yanquis1972

Re: Grandmaster Excalibur Revenge his Brothers...

Post by yanquis1972 »

hmm. sounds like your chess style of play is suited somewhat to my own (though clearly much stronger). i can occasionaly beat (VERY) weak programs with little to no real king safety knowledge, as my style naturally lends itself to KS attacks. there are two programs ive found who typically beat me to the punch here (and ALWAYS beat me, of course), in HIARCS & CS TAL 2, which makes losing to them especially fun.

however, i assume these older dedicateds are predicated on search, not knowledge. surely you can assemble a crushing KS storm against a lot of them, ie beat them w/ 'natural' as opposed to anti-computer chess? or are they smarter than i give them credit for?
fern

Re: Grandmaster Excalibur Revenge his Brothers...

Post by fern »

Hi John:
I imagine dedicated computers cannot be putted in the same bag with respect to his abilities to avoid the king attack you mention. There are some that does has knowledge to a degree. In fact the weakest part of dedicated units -I talk NOT of the very best and most modern of them- is his search capabilities. They does not go enough deep. Normally an average good computer of the 80's see about 5 ply in middle game, 6 or 7 at most in endings. Perhaps some of them use extensions to see deeper, but not that deep. Compare with any current engine going 15-21 ply in middle game...
Grandmaster showed me that it has very good acumen for positional tricks. Many moves I did to catch him with a trap with a bait he avoided nicely.
Else: I am not stronger than you, I think....

My best
Fern