New Architectures in Computer Chess

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gerd Isenberg

Re: New Architectures in Computer Chess

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

bob wrote:I realized that "after the fact." I am just used to your often incomprehensible SSE code and was thinking along those lines. :)
Incomprehensible?! I would say elementary bitboard basics with intrinsic simplicity ;-)

Code: Select all

o ^ ((o ^ r) dirsub r)
The issue is how to implement "dirsub" or "diradd", where borrows/carries are wired in the appropriate direction aligned on ranks/files and diagonals. This is where Kogge-Stone plays a role. SSE2 is about vectors, SIMR or SIMB - single instruction, multiple ranks or bitboards.

A small exercise, you may challenge your students. Assuming a cpu without arithmetical instructions:
Write a byte-adder routine without actually using add/sub, but only bitwise logical instructions (xor, or, and, not) and shift ;-)
Don

Post by Don »

mcostalba wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote: Your choice. I mean to print a book and to ship it, 10€ (at least inside Germany) is not that expensive and prime cost. It is absolutely worth the money. I don't receive any provision btw. ;-)

Gerd
Does exist also email and pdf (BTW I assume there exsist a pdf version because the summary, contents, etc. are in pdf)

Of course I don't pretend to have a real book in paper and shipment box for free, I just would like to _read_ the thesis for free.

BTW mine and that of _all_ my university students friends was free and I never heard of someone that asks money to make people reading his thesis (normally happens the contrary :-) )

Marco
These kind of things are supposed to be open and free.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Don wrote:
mcostalba wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote: Your choice. I mean to print a book and to ship it, 10€ (at least inside Germany) is not that expensive and prime cost. It is absolutely worth the money. I don't receive any provision btw. ;-)

Gerd
Does exist also email and pdf (BTW I assume there exsist a pdf version because the summary, contents, etc. are in pdf)

Of course I don't pretend to have a real book in paper and shipment box for free, I just would like to _read_ the thesis for free.

BTW mine and that of _all_ my university students friends was free and I never heard of someone that asks money to make people reading his thesis (normally happens the contrary :-) )

Marco
Would be fine. These kind of things are handled differently from country to country and even university to university. Jaap van den Herik as supervisor is probably worth to commercialize a Ph-D thesis, see Don Beal and David Levy. Fritz Reul takes only protective charge of 10€, more or less prime cost. As long time ICGA-member I would also like to read older ICCA/ICGA-Journals as e-paper or free pdf.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Don wrote:
mcostalba wrote:

Gerd

Marco
Would be fine. These kind of things are handled differently from country to country and even university to university. Jaap van den Herik as supervisor is probably worth to commercialize a Ph-D thesis, see Don Beal and David Levy. Fritz Reul takes only protective charge of 10€, more or less prime cost. As long time ICGA-member I would also like to read older ICCA/ICGA-Journals as e-paper or free pdf.
Just for the record, at least in USA, the student has the copyright of the thesis (the written part of the dissertation, which is what we are discussing here). It belongs ONLY to the student, not the university, not the advisor, not any funding agency.

Manuscripts, patents, notes, and other products of the projects do not necessarily belong to the student, and most of the time, they don't.

Miguel
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Gerd Isenberg wrote: His elaborate on magic hashing does not bear any new insights for me and has some weak spots, f.i. he mentions 12-bit indices, without explaining where the 12 bits come from (2 * inner six bits).
Oups, I should have read more carefully. He explains the 12-bit indices elaborately in 3.3.2. Index Mapping for Sliding Directions, pg. 49-50.