ChessOK internet chess.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Cubeman

ChessOK internet chess.

Post by Cubeman »

Has anyone had experience with this site for playing chess.Many players online? Premove, stabilty.
Just that I have just recently set my home up with a WiFi modem and have a nice pocket pc which I currently use PocketGM to link with ICC.
But my ICC sub is about to expire and I like the idea of no ongoinig fees which seem to increase every few years.And ChessOK just requires a one off payment for the PPC interface.Having played on the PPC it makes a nice change from sitting in front of a screen and am now able to play in all sorts of new places but my favourite is being able to lie down when watching TV or playing in my Taxi Cab when there is a free WiFi connection.The only downside is that there is no premove option yet on the PGM version so I get out blitzed when short on time.
So if any good reviews for ChessOK portal?
swami

Re: ChessOK internet chess.

Post by swami »

I haven't tried chessok but I found chesscube.com excellent. More players online than ICC - easy to use, decent graphics and premove works well...
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Cubeman wrote:Has anyone had experience with this site for playing chess.Many players online? Premove, stabilty.
Just that I have just recently set my home up with a WiFi modem and have a nice pocket pc which I currently use PocketGM to link with ICC.
But my ICC sub is about to expire and I like the idea of no ongoinig fees which seem to increase every few years.And ChessOK just requires a one off payment for the PPC interface.Having played on the PPC it makes a nice change from sitting in front of a screen and am now able to play in all sorts of new places but my favourite is being able to lie down when watching TV or playing in my Taxi Cab when there is a free WiFi connection.The only downside is that there is no premove option yet on the PGM version so I get out blitzed when short on time.
So if any good reviews for ChessOK portal?
I've been playing there for years, and have no complaints. Great automated tournaments with interactive crosstables, etc. I don't know how much of that is true of the PocketPC client, which I haven't used, but you will still have all the expected perks of a paid account elsewhere, such as chatting, rating, mailbox, etc. There is no pre-move in ChessOK (previously Chess Assistant Club or even Chess Planet) BTW. You can probably save your games and even review them with an engine. That said, the ultimate review should be yours. Play there, and see what YOU think.

The only other place I play as often is Owl21 (no PPC though) due to their wonderful selection of chess variants, and excellent Random Chess, which is great training for one's imagination and tactics.

Albert
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

I agree with what Albert wrote. However in Web Interfaces I use Chesscube.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Cubeman »

Thanks Ted, sounds like a good site.It doesn't bother me with no premove if my opponets don't have it either.All I really want is a place to play rated games against similar opponents and can't care less about ICC "Tuition Videos" or playing in some crazy tourney just to extend my sub when the winner could be using comp assistance.Will give Chess OK a go.