Kasparov Gambit

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Re: Kasparov Gambit

Post by fern »

It did not :-(

F
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

towforce wrote:
fern wrote:I do not have faith in those emulators and the much complex way as they must be mounted.
It's easy to understand DOS. There's a 640k limit, which can be overcome with either extended memory or expanded memory. These can be easily explained as follows:

* extended memory is extra memory that is... er... different from expanded memory

* expanded memory is extra memory that is... er... different from extended memory

:lol:
That's helpful... :roll:

You can increase base memory with software designed for that pupose. DOS should _Never_ been restricted by 640kb of memory after 1991 ten years after Bill Gates infamous words, "Computers will never need more than 640kb of memory." :shock:
Terry McCracken
Terry McCracken

fern wrote:It did not :-(

F
You couldn't get it to work on your old Compaq?
Terry McCracken
plattyaj

Post by plattyaj »

Terry McCracken wrote: You can increase base memory with software designed for that pupose. DOS should _Never_ been restricted by 640kb of memory after 1991 ten years after Bill Gates infamous words, "Computers will never need more than 640kb of memory." :shock:
FWIW, there is considerable debate that he ever said that - he denies it and nobody has a recording of the conference from 1981 that he is supposed to have said it in, to prove or disprove it. Personally I suspect that it's garbage. He's made a number of false predictions but Moore's law had been around for a long while by then and you could see the rapid increase in RAM even then.

Andy.
fern

Post by fern »

Not with the DOS embedded in W95....Perhaps I should try what I did 15 years ago, to load the computer with a prepared floppy with DOS with extended and expanded memory, etc, but I just have no more time neither patience for all that, so i will just forget Kasparov for another 10 years.

My best
Fern
Terry McCracken

plattyaj wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote: You can increase base memory with software designed for that pupose. DOS should _Never_ been restricted by 640kb of memory after 1991 ten years after Bill Gates infamous words, "Computers will never need more than 640kb of memory." :shock:
FWIW, there is considerable debate that he ever said that - he denies it and nobody has a recording of the conference from 1981 that he is supposed to have said it in, to prove or disprove it. Personally I suspect that it's garbage. He's made a number of false predictions but Moore's law had been around for a long while by then and you could see the rapid increase in RAM even then.

Andy.
But we'll never know will we?
Terry McCracken
Terry McCracken

fern wrote:Not with the DOS embedded in W95....Perhaps I should try what I did 15 years ago, to load the computer with a prepared floppy with DOS with extended and expanded memory, etc, but I just have no more time neither patience for all that, so i will just forget Kasparov for another 10 years.

My best
Fern
All this for nothing? :(

Throwing in the Towel Regards...
Terry McCracken
fern

Post by fern »

Who knows...perhaps in some days I will try to get one of my previously prepared floppy for an entended DOS.
But the most important: this issue was useful to show you are a good friend....

Fern
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Kasparov's Gambit requires expanded memory (EMS). The installation instructions recommend a boot disk with the following CONFIG.SYS:

Code: Select all

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE 2048 RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
(Of course, this won't work on a recent PC with Windows XP or higher and maybe not even in Windows Millennium, anymore.)

So, if the old computer (or the emulator) has himem.sys and emm386.exe, or proper replacements or features to emulate them, starting with the config.sys above will give additional 2 MB of memory for the program. I think there was a tradeoff with K.G., in either using the 3D board (with smaller hash tables) or without 3D board and bigger hash tables. But I am not sure about that as I cannot remember exactly.

I have an upgrade to version 1.1 (from 1993), most probably from a games magazine cover disk.
Regards, Mike
fern

Post by fern »

I will try that with my old Armada..
Thanks
F