Fritz 12 available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Only Fritz 12 ?????

Post by Graham Banks »

playjunior wrote:Actually I like Chessbase, their news, the GUI is not perfect but beats anything else I tried with a wide margin, that including Arena of course, which is, frankly speaking, horrible. I like that they release Fritz after so many years, and that it is so strong, especially if you consider only 32-bit engines.

And Fritz is not going to be UCI: stop whining and realize that they are the ones who dictate the rules, and the rules is-you buy it with the GUI, you use it with the GUI.
In my opinion, the Chessbase GUIs are still the best all round, but ChessGUI is currently my favourite.
Nothing wrong with the Arena or Shredder GUIs, but I think that most enthusiasts have their personal preferences.
It's been a very long time since I used Winboard, so I'm unqualified to comment on it.

The fact that Fritz is now the only engine that is not UCI (?) is a big black mark against Chessbase in the eyes of many.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Spock

Post by Spock »

SzG wrote: Still, to say Arena is horrible makes the impression he has never seen it. I don't know any GUI other than Arena which makes installing and using engines, arranging and altering tournaments, replacing engines, modifying engine parameters even in the middle of a tournament, etc, etc, so easy. And it can run WB and UCI engines as well, flawlessly. Result handling is also excellent. The other GUI's simply don't come near. Arena beats them all in canter, and quite cheaply, at that.
Arena is your favourite, it isn't mine :wink:
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

SzG wrote: I don't know any GUI other than Arena which makes installing and using engines, arranging and altering tournaments, replacing engines, modifying engine parameters even in the middle of a tournament, etc, etc, so easy. And it can run WB and UCI engines as well, flawlessly. Result handling is also excellent. The other GUI's simply don't come near. Arena beats them all in canter, and quite cheaply, at that.
ChessGUI offers all that plus allows the option of tablebase adjudication for those that don't want to waste cpu time on endings such as KR v KR playing out till the death.
That plus the author willingly tries to implement suggested options. :wink:
However, I agree that Arena is also an excellent free GUI.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

playjunior wrote:Actually I like Chessbase, their news, the GUI is not perfect but beats anything else I tried with a wide margin, that including Arena of course, which is, frankly speaking, horrible. I like that they release Fritz after so many years, and that it is so strong, especially if you consider only 32-bit engines.

And Fritz is not going to be UCI: stop whining and realize that they are the ones who dictate the rules, and the rules is-you buy it with the GUI, you use it with the GUI.
I don't think they dictate any rules since a long time now, but I guess the last
dinosaurs also thought they had something to dictate, when in fact they were already close to distinction ;-)

Guenther
fern

Re: Fritz 12 available

Post by fern »

Oh well, another "funny" post about a very well made product, full of features, still the best no matter what, Rybka included. I can understand that someone does not like this or that product; in that case I assume the thing to do is just to forget it. I have never wrote a poem about tomato sauce I do not like. Never, also, a supposed satire about a brand of spaghetti which taste is foreign to my palate. Sound weird to me to develop kind of hatred or mockery against a thing.
Well, maybe is the nature of this site. Once you have concentrated in such a trifling issue as chess computers is, you must consider it grave and give proportional importance to these things.

Sigh regards
Fern
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote: Peter Schreiner (CB-support) said by email that the release of Deep Fritz 12 is unknown because
-- SMP it is a difficult procedure
Do you think that answer is sufficient?

:P

Christopher
Christopher Conkie

fern wrote:Oh well, another "funny" post about a very well made product, full of features, still the best no matter what, Rybka included. I can understand that someone does not like this or that product; in that case I assume the thing to do is just to forget it. I have never wrote a poem about tomato sauce I do not like. Never, also, a supposed satire about a brand of spaghetti which taste is foreign to my palate. Sound weird to me to develop kind of hatred or mockery against a thing.
Well, maybe is the nature of this site. Once you have concentrated in such a trifling issue as chess computers is, you must consider it grave and give proportional importance to these things.

Sigh regards
Fern
But it's not "well made" Fernando.......

And it has not been well made since Fritz 3........no joke. That is not even an opinion....it's a fact, based on copious amounts of proof.

It was well marketed in the beginning. Think VHS v Betamax and you get the idea.

Christopher
Christopher Conkie

Guenther wrote:

I don't think they dictate any rules since a long time now, but I guess the last
dinosaurs also thought they had something to dictate, when in fact they were already close to distinction ;-)

Guenther
I hear that in Russia, all ChessBase software is FREE........

I guess no one is immortal.

:)

Christopher
bigo

Post by bigo »

fern wrote:Oh well, another "funny" post about a very well made product, full of features, still the best no matter what, Rybka included. I can understand that someone does not like this or that product; in that case I assume the thing to do is just to forget it. I have never wrote a poem about tomato sauce I do not like. Never, also, a supposed satire about a brand of spaghetti which taste is foreign to my palate. Sound weird to me to develop kind of hatred or mockery against a thing.

Sigh regards
Fern

Very well said, Chessbase is an outstanding company, I love their products.
Some people are so trivial, and expect their every whim to be satisfied.
I think it's immature to expect to get everything you want exactly how you want to. I could see if you spend 12 thousand on a product, but you are talking about a 30$ product that gives you Supergrandmaster strength
with a very nice GUI very pleasing to the eyes, it even has a million game database with it, I remember having to pay 50 dollars just for that alone. I guess I am not spoiled cause i remember the days when I had to spend a Hundred dollars for rebel 6 which was like senior master strength and came in a often unstable interface. But I was very happy and satisfied with that!
Christopher Conkie

bigo wrote: Very well said, Chessbase is an outstanding company, I love their products.
Some people are so trivial, and expect their every whim to be satisfied.
I think it's immature to expect to get everything you want exactly how you want to. I could see if you spend 12 thousand on a product, but you are talking about a 30$ product that gives you Supergrandmaster strength
with a very nice GUI very pleasing to the eyes, it even has a million game database with it, I remember having to pay 50 dollars just for that alone. I guess I am not spoiled cause i remember the days when I had to spend a Hundred dollars for rebel 6 which was like senior master strength and came in a often unstable interface. But I was very happy and satisfied with that!
Normal people expect products that they pay for to work.

It is not "oustanding" that each time a new release is made it becomes more and more bloated. It is obvious to a blind man that the same interface gets slapped with different make up every year. This time it's videos. How many of you used "The Turk"? :-)

I wish they would concentrate for once on the actual root code of the interface and not on collecting your ducats.

It is really appaling that programmers of chess engines have to write into their code fixes for bugs in the GUI.

The GUI is outstandingly bad and has been for a long long time, but hey....if someone chops one of your legs off I bet you get used to it after some time.......

;-)

Christopher