Rebel Century 4.0 at todays world.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

George Tsavdaris

Rebel Century 4.0 at todays world.

Post by George Tsavdaris »

I desperately wanted to run this program again!
Rebel Century 4.0. :D

So i managed to install on a Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0 GHz machine with Windows Vista and via VMWare the old Windows ME, and then i installed the old Rebel Century 4.0 successfully.

But there is a problem. The response is super slow and the menus and all that are opening with turtle speed. Apart from that, everything is fine but that is a big problem.
I applied the Pentium IV patch just in case, but nothing changed. Rebel Century runs fine(i run it with the -V parameter) but the menus and all the mouse-piece moves etc are very slow.

I guess it is because of the unknown for Rebel, CPU.

I don't have much hope, but can anyone recommend anything to fix this problem? :(
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Re: Rebel Century 4.0 at todays world.

Post by Jim Ablett »

George Tsavdaris wrote:I desperately wanted to run this program again!
Rebel Century 4.0. :D

So i managed to install on a Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0 GHz machine with Windows Vista and via VMWare the old Windows ME, and then i installed the old Rebel Century 4.0 successfully.

But there is a problem. The response is super slow and the menus and all that are opening with turtle speed. Apart from that, everything is fine but that is a big problem.
I applied the Pentium IV patch just in case, but nothing changed. Rebel Century runs fine(i run it with the -V parameter) but the menus and all the mouse-piece moves etc are very slow.

I guess it is because of the unknown for Rebel, CPU.

I don't have much hope, but can anyone recommend anything to fix this problem? :(
Hi George,

A while back I created an installer for Rebel Decade 3 which uses Dosbox.
It works good for me on my Xp machine and should work on Vista.
Maybe you'd like to try it. If it works, you should be able to replace with the Rebel century 4 files.
You'll need to copy all the rebel century files to the installation folder and edit the 'START.BAT' file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wzdujgtnnv0

Jim.
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Jim Ablett wrote: A while back I created an installer for Rebel Decade 3 which uses Dosbox.
Maybe you'd like to try it. If it works, you should be able to replace with the Rebel century 4 files.
You'll need to copy all the rebel century files to the installation folder and edit the 'START.BAT' file.

Thanks for that i'm now trying it.
But i have some questions:

How you would describe the speed it runs? Bad, decent, medium, fine, almost perfect, perfect? :lol:

There is a Uninstal.exe(not Uninstall) in the created folder that says it will uninstall Rebel Decade from the HDD. Executing this will just delete the files from the created folder or it will also delete some registry values and files from e.g C:\windows\system32 folder etc?
I mean does your setup put anything registry keys or files in C:\Windows directory, or it just copies files to the specified directory and only there?

Should(this question more or less is the same with the above) i delete manually the Rebel Decade files or your Uninstal.exe will do it for me?

[EDIT]Also the DosBox you have in there is 0.72. Since there is a newer version(0.73) can i try it instead or it may not work?
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

George Tsavdaris wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote: A while back I created an installer for Rebel Decade 3 which uses Dosbox.

Thanks for that i'm now trying it.
But i have some questions:

How you would describe the speed it runs? Bad, decent, medium, fine, almost perfect, perfect? :lol:

There is a Uninstal.exe(not Uninstall) in the created folder that says it will uninstall Rebel Decade from the HDD. Executing this will just delete the files from the created folder or it will also delete some registry values and files from e.g C:\windows\system32 folder etc?
I mean does your setup put anything registry keys or files in C:\Windows directory, or it just copies files to the specified directory and only there?

Should(this question more or less is the same with the above) i delete manually the Rebel Decade files or your Uninstal.exe will do it for me?

It will just delete all files in the folder or you can just delete whole folder manually.
No registry entries to worry about. Only thing installed is Rebel folder in 'program files'.
Free Revo uninstaller (much better than built-in one) will remove program
and every trace of it from Windows if you are paranoid.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Jim.
Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

How you would describe the speed it runs? Bad, decent, medium, fine, almost perfect, perfect?
Medium to decent.

Jim.
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for reviving good old Rebel.
I used your installer in Vista and used the mount command succesfully.

When first starting Dosbox and then wanting to evoke the rebel.exe from the directory given with the mount command, that operation failed because of an illegal commaaand.

When trying to start the rebel.exe from the windows explorer the good old screen with "calculating engines speed" showed up, and next tot that a message saying that full screen display is not possible. Now, whatever yoy answer, stop or neglect, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Kaj
Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

Kaj Soderberg wrote:Hi Jim,

Thanks for reviving good old Rebel.
I used your installer in Vista and used the mount command succesfully.

When first starting Dosbox and then wanting to evoke the rebel.exe from the directory given with the mount command, that operation failed because of an illegal commaaand.

When trying to start the rebel.exe from the windows explorer the good old screen with "calculating engines speed" showed up, and next tot that a message saying that full screen display is not possible. Now, whatever yoy answer, stop or neglect, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Kaj
Hi Kaj,

I only tested this on XP. I'm not sure about Vista, but on XP all you need to do is install the program, then click on the shortcut icon on the desktop to play.
The shortcut just runs 'run_game.bat' which is located in the install folder.

Jim.
Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

Jim Ablett wrote:
How you would describe the speed it runs? Bad, decent, medium, fine, almost perfect, perfect?
Medium to decent.

Jim.

I getting a rating of around 2500 elo when I run Rebel Decade's internal benchmark facility on my Athlon XP/m 2500 - 32 bit Win XP Pro

Jim.