ChessV...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Christopher Conkie

FRC with ChessV in Arena....

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
hgm wrote:So it must be that Arena does not know how to send Orthodox Chess as a single argument (or that the Arena users do not know how to instruct it to do that). A batch file will indeed know how to do that.

This will not solve the problem with the popup in FRC though. So I guess Arena will be limited to playing Orthodox Chess with ChessV. For ChessGUI the batch-file trick might enable it to do all the Capablanca sub-variants. Not sure how ChessGUI would handle free castling of, say, Schoolbook Chess, though. For WinBoad I can only play that with legality testing off. But then it does understand Kf1-b1 as a castling!
No.

It's the spaces

I made a batch file like Olivier which said this in it....

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arena\Engines\ChessV 0.94 x32\ChessV_WinBoard.exe "Orthodox Chess"
To that in Arena I got......

803.299<--1&#58;'C&#58;\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
So instead I put the exe in a folder with no spaces. C:\Apps. And in the batch file i put......

C&#58;\Apps\ChessV_WinBoard.exe "Orthodox Chess"
Now it works.

At last........

Lousy winboard engines......and people......

;-)

Christopher
To get it to play FRC what I did is this........

I changed the batch file so it reads......

C&#58;\Apps\ChessV_WinBoard.exe "Fischer Random Chess"
Upon loading ChessV i get offered a position which i accept.

Then in Arena I go to Setup a position. Then i choose FRC and tell it the position number that ChessV is using.

At this moment I am checking to see if the castling is working.

Christopher
Last edited by Christopher Conkie on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: ChessV...

Post by hgm »

I don't think spaces in a pathname have much to do with the engine type, UCI vs WinBoard. If you would try to fire up a UCI engine that way, I am sure you would get the same complaint.

Also note that ChessV needs the argument tht tels it which variant to play in a non-WinBoard way exactly because it is _not_ a real WinBoard engine.

A more accurate conclusion would thus be:

Lousy Windows / lousy Arena / lousy Arena users... :lol:
Christopher Conkie

hgm wrote:I don't think spaces in a pathname have much to do with the engine type, UCI vs WinBoard. If you would try to fire up a UCI engine that way, I am sure you would get the same complaint.

Also note that ChessV needs the argument tht tels it which variant to play in a non-WinBoard way exactly because it is _not_ a real WinBoard engine.

A more accurate conclusion would be:

Lousy Windows / lousy Arena / lousy Arena users... :lol:
Lousy HG......come out of the dark ages sometime OK?

It's light outside.....

:)

Christopher
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, WinBoard had no problems running ChessV. In fact it has no problems running a dozen of other variants than normal and FRC, like capablanca, janus, shatranj, courier, berolina. Now try that in Arena! :lol:

So who is in the dark? 8-)
Christopher Conkie

hgm wrote:Well, WinBoard had no problems running ChessV. In fact it has no problems running a dozen of other variants than normal and FRC, like capablanca, janus, shatranj, courier, berolina. Now try that in Arena! :lol:

So who is in the dark? 8-)
Try using UCI engines in Winboard without adapters.

It's your move.....

Hehe.

Christopher
Christopher Conkie

Re: FRC with ChessV in Arena....

hgm wrote:So it must be that Arena does not know how to send Orthodox Chess as a single argument (or that the Arena users do not know how to instruct it to do that). A batch file will indeed know how to do that.

This will not solve the problem with the popup in FRC though. So I guess Arena will be limited to playing Orthodox Chess with ChessV. For ChessGUI the batch-file trick might enable it to do all the Capablanca sub-variants. Not sure how ChessGUI would handle free castling of, say, Schoolbook Chess, though. For WinBoad I can only play that with legality testing off. But then it does understand Kf1-b1 as a castling!
No.

It's the spaces

I made a batch file like Olivier which said this in it....

C&#58;\Program Files &#40;x86&#41;\Arena\Engines\ChessV 0.94 x32\ChessV_WinBoard.exe "Orthodox Chess"
To that in Arena I got......

803.299<--1&#58;'C&#58;\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
So instead I put the exe in a folder with no spaces. C:\Apps. And in the batch file i put......

C&#58;\Apps\ChessV_WinBoard.exe "Orthodox Chess"
Now it works.

At last........

Lousy winboard engines......and people......

;-)

Christopher
To get it to play FRC what I did is this........

I changed the batch file so it reads......

C&#58;\Apps\ChessV_WinBoard.exe "Fischer Random Chess"
Upon loading ChessV i get offered a position which i accept.

Then in Arena I go to Setup a position. Then i choose FRC and tell it the position number that ChessV is using.

At this moment I am checking to see if the castling is working.

Christopher
OK so castling is working as well using CTRL to move the pieces where they need to go.

Christopher
hgm

Post by hgm »

Try using UCI engines in Winboard without adapters.

It's your move.....

Hehe.

Christopher
If we are down to non-sensical requests, I'm sure I can top you:

Try to use Arena without a computer! :lol:

Why would anyone want to do that? Why would anyone want to use WinBoard without an adapter? Arena _is_ an adapter, not?

Implementations details are of no concern to the user. Arguments like "Arena is no good because it is not written in LISP", or because it runs on a computer that powers the CPU with 1.2 Volts in stead of 5 Volts just don't cut it.

N.B. for FRC castling in WinBoard you would have to drag the King on top of the Rook.
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

hgm wrote:lousy Arena users... :lol:
One could say lousy Winboard implementation in Chess_v. It does not accept the positions sent by Arena. Though Arena uses the first FRC Winboard protocol and all other WB FRC Engines work fine with Arena :)

No problem. Maybe one wanna fix that, would be nice and would result in more testing for the engine :)

HG, you did the winboard protocol implementation? You are mentioned in the credits. Ty for your efforts in chess variants :!:
Alexander Schmidt

Ty, that was the problem :)
Alexander Schmidt

Olivier Deville wrote:It was working all the time under Winboard, of course :wink:
Haha
Olivier Deville (some hours ago in the Winboard Forum) wrote:Who is able to have this thing moving under Winboard or even Arena ?
:P