Compiling ChessV 9.2

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Matthias Gemuh

Re: Compiling ChessV 9.2

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Greg Strong wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
ChessGUI cannot cope with WB parameters in quotes. :( :twisted:

Why is the parameter not simply capablanca or fischerandom or ... ?

Matthias.
The reason is because ChessV wasn't really meant to do it... The passing the name of the actual game was fairly easily accomodated. I guess it would be possible and perhaps desirable to hande the Winboard short-names for the limited number of games that Winboard lists.

But for the time being, there's an easy work-around for you. You can specify the filename of a saved game file (a text file with an SGF extension) instead of the name of a game, so just make a file with no space in the filename. So, for example, to start a game of Capablanca Chess, the file doesn't need to contain anything except the text:

Code: Select all

Capablanca Chess
Of course, you don't need to make the file yourself either. You can always just start a new game of whatever type and then save it through the GUI.
I know that you shall make ChessV more winboard-compatible and supress those popup windows in WB mode.
So I will wait a bit :wink:

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:I know that you shall make ChessV more winboard-compatible and supress those popup windows in WB mode.
So I will wait a bit :wink:

Matthias.
The popups *are* supressed if you specify an appropriate parameter :wink:
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, not the popups for shuffle games; I just suppressed the popup of the generic game-start routine, but games like FRC have their own dedicated popup (which also asks for position number).

Now these games are a problem anyway as long as ChessV does not provide a way to setup positions through the WB interface (setboard or edit command), so there is no reason to bother with that yet. In fact it is only through the popup that these variants can be played at the moment, because they allow you to enter the position number that WinBoard has chosen by hand into ChessV.