Hippo Lite, what's really going on?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Anton

Re: Hippo Lite, what's really going on?

Post by Anton »

mcostalba wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:Ippolit is a puzzle.
If this thing is a reverse-engineered Rybka 3, then Rybka 3 is NOT based on Rybka 2.3 !

Matthias.
I have looked at this engine source. I know how to program and I am almost sure it is the reverse engineered product of some other engine.

No programmer sane of mind could have ever written something like that: function factoring is horrid, variable names is misleading when not even wrong most of the times, data structures have many fields named as numeric constants (_5, _6, etc.. this is a clear sign that the "author" was not able to identify the correct meaning of the original field and so was forced to use a placeholder instead), coding style is non existing to say the least, and I could continue.

Just to make it clear for non programmers out there is like you read a Shakespeare poem full of grammatical errors and with some dumb and trivial line here and there: you can understand you are reading a very high quality material, but you also can clearly understand that this is not the original but a trivially translated copy.
Are you looking at the code of ippolit, or the code of robbolite?
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Anton wrote: Are you looking at the code of ippolit, or the code of robbolite?
I was not able to read the link when posted here on talkchess because was already deleted when I connected to the forum.

But from the name of the engine that was in the thread's title "Ippolit" I googled a bit around and I found it.

It is the first time I hear there is an engine called robbolite.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

mcostalba wrote: It is the first time I hear there is an engine called robbolite.
I'm pretty certain that you'll only find mention of it on sites to do with cloning. Many here are starting to show their true colours. I reckon I've matched up a few names already. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Hippo Lite, what's really going on?/A big family

Post by Sylwy »

Graham Banks wrote:
mcostalba wrote: It is the first time I hear there is an engine called robbolite.
I'm pretty certain that you'll only find mention of it on sites to do with cloning. Many here are starting to show their true colours. I reckon I've matched up a few names already. :wink:

Hi Graham !

It's also an Igorrit ! :lol: And a lot of amusing comments -in English & Spanish-on their web page. But ...........I don't want to post any lyrics today because some " friends " of Arena hate me.
Like you see a big family ! :lol:
For instant remains a single fact : Ippolit is indeed a strong engine.Maybe a clone.But seems to have some improvements.

Regards,
Silvian
WinPooh
Full name: Vladimir Medvedev

Post by WinPooh »

Michael Sherwin wrote:The engine was originally written in "chesslanguage b" by the author.
This is not Latin "b", this is Russian "ь" (soft sign, myagkij znak).
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Graham Banks wrote: Many here are starting to show their true colours. I reckon I've matched up a few names already. :wink:
I must say the only link I see between Rybka 3 and this Ippolit thing is the playing strength.
I would very much appreciate some insight into this mystery, if anyone can provide it.
I saw a link between Rybka 1 and Strelka which is totally missing here.
If I classify Ippolit as a clone now, that decision would be based solely on playing strength. Weird.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
WinPooh

Post by WinPooh »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:I must say the only link I see between Rybka 3 and this Ippolit thing is the playing strength.
Didn't you know that having playing strength above 3100 is copyrighted? :D
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

WinPooh wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:I must say the only link I see between Rybka 3 and this Ippolit thing is the playing strength.
Didn't you know that having playing strength above 3100 is copyrighted? :D
Be careful then because we are expecting sudden improvement in Greko, Bison, Wildcat, SmarThink and Strelka soon.........

In fact, it has already started with Bison.

We call it "futility programming".

:-)

Christopher
WinPooh

Post by WinPooh »

Christopher Conkie wrote:Be careful then because we are expecting sudden improvement in Greko
Don't panic :)
I am too lazy to read this obscured C source.

I've reserved rights for 2400-2500 interval, and each engine of this strength should be considered as GreKo's clone, regardless of having open or closed source :D
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

WinPooh wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:Be careful then because we are expecting sudden improvement in Greko
Don't panic :)
I am too lazy to read this obscured C source.
Now that is interesting. You think it is obscured as well. I was wondering how a fellow Russian would find the code.

I guess disassembled stuff looks the same to programmers across spoken language barriers.
I've reserved rights for 2400-2500 interval, and each engine of this strength should be considered as GreKo's clone, regardless of having open or closed source :D
Have you informed the Bison author of this?

;-)

Christopher