About Clones or Supposed Clones

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

About Clones or Supposed Clones

Post by fern »

Sorry If I am somewhat beyond the politically correct point of view about this, but I cannot share the feeling and behavior of scandal and horror that automatically spring here once someone has said this or that engine is a clone. And then the links to get there are erased.
Many times there is nothing but the suspicion of a guy based in the most faint evidence.
Even more, this issue should be left to our personal judgment. I have little patience with moderators that take that rol from me and try to governs ex ante my decisions.
I have the right to be honest by myself and erase a clear case of clone of a commercial engine, as I have done before; I have also the right to be dishonest and not do it, which i have not.
Moderators acts in these cases more like commercial lawyers at the service of a guy, but cloaked under a heavy coat of morality.
Now is the case of Ippolit. Do I have or not the right to see by myself if it is a clone of Rybka or not?
I think I have it. BTW, I already have Rybka3.

My best
Fern
slobo

Re: About Clones or Supposed Clones

Post by slobo »

You are right Fdo. I support all of your human rights, without exceptions.
SL
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

I agree with you Fern, but I support the moderator's action as there are lots of personal attacks/insults in there that is inappropriate. Maybe another thread should be opened regarding Ippolit and the moderators wouldn't lock it as long as it wouldn't degenerate into a flame war.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

fern wrote:And then the links to get there are erased.
Linking to illegal software is illegal.

There are liability issues or the forum owners here.
WinPooh
Full name: Vladimir Medvedev

Post by WinPooh »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:Linking to illegal software is illegal.
Google is illegal. It gives the link in question on the first place for query with two words. The first one is <censored>, the second one is "chess".
Anton

Post by Anton »

If anyone claims engine x is a clone, it is essential that they provide the evidence when making that claim, otherwise it is a personal attack against a potentially innocent programmer.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Time for some DMCA notices :)
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Anton wrote:a potentially innocent programmer.
Yes, particularly Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin (a novel personage) and Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (Russian head of state) and Roberto Pescatore (might be real, but the familiy name means "fisherman"!) could be terribly insulted by the accusation that they are not the real authors.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Some googling reveals that Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin is a Dostojevsky character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Double ... sburg_Poem

Roberto Pescatore seems to be a common name.
Anton

Post by Anton »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Anton wrote:a potentially innocent programmer.
Yes, particularly Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin (a novel personage) and Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (Russian head of state) and Roberto Pescatore (might be real, but the familiy name means "fisherman"!) could be terribly insulted by the accusation that they are not the real authors.
I agree that the above names only serve to increase suspicion that we are looking at a clone, yet the names alone are not evidence of a clone.

Has Vas been made aware of these source codes? I look forward to hearing his verdict in this matter.