About Clones or Supposed Clones

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: About Clones or Supposed Clones

Post by Graham Banks »

Anton wrote:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Anton wrote:a potentially innocent programmer.
Yes, particularly Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin (a novel personage) and Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (Russian head of state) and Roberto Pescatore (might be real, but the familiy name means "fisherman"!) could be terribly insulted by the accusation that they are not the real authors.
I agree that the above names only serve to increase suspicion that we are looking at a clone, yet the names alone are not evidence of a clone.

Has Vas been made aware of these source codes? I look forward to hearing his verdict in this matter.
Of course Vas is aware. Why do you think that mention of Ippolit anywhere else on the web has been deleted up until when it was allowed to be promoted here?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Anton

Post by Anton »

Graham Banks wrote:
Anton wrote:
Yes, particularly Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin (a novel personage) and Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (Russian head of state) and Roberto Pescatore (might be real, but the familiy name means "fisherman"!) could be terribly insulted by the accusation that they are not the real authors.
I agree that the above names only serve to increase suspicion that we are looking at a clone, yet the names alone are not evidence of a clone.

Has Vas been made aware of these source codes? I look forward to hearing his verdict in this matter.
Of course Vas is aware. Why do you think that mention of Ippolit anywhere else on the web has been deleted up until when it was allowed to be promoted here?
I don't know Graham, Is it because someone is now guilty until proven innocent? What was Vas's verdict?
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Anton wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Anton wrote:

I don't know Graham, Is it because someone is now guilty until proven innocent? What was Vas's verdict?
You are asking the wrong person.

;-)

Christopher
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Anton wrote:

Indeed,the source is out there and Vas is the only person who can confirm if this particular engine is a clone or not as he has the source code of Rybka....of course other clones hunters,hello Chris :wink: ,are most welcomed to share their opinion as they had saved us a lot of testing fake engines appearing out of the blue....
No again,Vas has the definite word here....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Anton

Post by Anton »

SzG wrote:
Anton wrote:What was Vas's verdict?
It is really strange to ask for Vasik's verdict. What is to be expected? It is in his own interest to say Impolite is a clone of Rybka. The last thing he wants is a legal free engine which is better than Rybka.

And when he says it's a clone, you have no proof other than his word. He won't reveal his source code.
Yes, this is always a possibility, however when Strelka was revealed as a clone, Vas explained in detail the similarities, and besides, it would not be in his best interests to claim an engine is a clone, if it was infact not a clone.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

SzG wrote:
Anton wrote:What was Vas's verdict?
It is really strange to ask for Vasik's verdict. What is to be expected? It is in his own interest to say Impolite is a clone of Rybka. The last thing he wants is a legal free engine which is better than Rybka.

And when he says it's a clone, you have no proof other than his word. He won't reveal his source code.
There are at least 6 top programmers we asked, many (if not all) write here, in Germany sometimes and in their own places.

The verdict has always been the same from all of them. It is only the end users that disagree.

There is even a story attached to this, but I am not at liberty to tell you about it. Anyway, it all happened back in April. It was only a matter of time before someone found it. Merciful release one might say, so it's not all bad.

At least you all know what it is (and even then it is incomplete).

To me, (and many others) Ippolit is "old hat".

:)

Christopher
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

SzG wrote: It is really strange to ask for Vasik's verdict. What is to be expected? It is in his own interest to say Impolite is a clone of Rybka. The last thing he wants is a legal free engine which is better than Rybka.
Confirming it's Rybka 3 (or better) on the other hand might not be very good for Rybka 3 sales. And there is no Rybka 4 on the market yet.
Oh, there is lots of proof, no need for Rybka 3 sources. But let's just keep quiet for a while and let a bunch of people make fools of themselves, just like with Strelka.
Anton

Post by Anton »

Oh, there is lots of proof, no need for Rybka 3 sources. But let's just keep quiet for a while ...
If there is clear evidence that Ippolit is a clone, then keeping quiet is only harming Vas's sales. there have been 200 downloads in the last 24 hours from Tony Thomas chess site, so keeping quiet in order to "make people look fools" is also hurting Vas's pocket.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Anton wrote:I don't know Graham, Is it because someone is now guilty until proven innocent? What was Vas's verdict?
Of course someone is guilty until proven innocent. We are not insane...
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Anton wrote: If there is clear evidence that Ippolit is a clone, then keeping quiet is only harming Vas's sales. there have been 200 downloads in the last 24 hours from Tony Thomas chess site, so keeping quiet in order to "make people look fools" is also hurting Vas's pocket.
Vas has the possibility to make a statement about it.

It's been pointed out several times the software in question is illegal, so if people are still downloading it, I don't think they care for anyones opinion anyway. However, site owners have to remove the download after being notified it's illegal.