Hippo Lite, what's really going on?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rvida

Re: Hippo Lite, what's really going on?

Post by rvida »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
WinPooh wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:I must say the only link I see between Rybka 3 and this Ippolit thing is the playing strength.
Didn't you know that having playing strength above 3100 is copyrighted? :D
Be careful then because we are expecting sudden improvement in Greko, Bison, Wildcat, SmarThink and Strelka soon.........

In fact, it has already started with Bison.

We call it "futility programming".

:-)

Christopher
Whats wrong with Bison? Or Greko? Seems like anti-russian prejudice...
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Does this also mean that we had some anti-Mexican predjudice when Fafis was detected as a clone ? How about anti-Belarusian prejudice when Patriot was detected ?

... But I have to agree I never belived Pravda, despite its name.

Michael
http://www.playwiharena.com
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

rvida wrote:
WinPooh wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:I must say the only link I see between Rybka 3 and this Ippolit thing is the playing strength.
Be careful then because we are expecting sudden improvement in Greko, Bison, Wildcat, SmarThink and Strelka soon.........

Christopher
LOL no, it is only that that is who seems to not want to believe.

I can confirm to you that somewhere on the web the Bison author is saying this.......
Думается мне, что через год-полтора уже не Рыбка будет сильнейшей программой. Просто Васику ну очень трудно будет что-то новое еще придумать, а другие авторы воспользуются кладязем знаний Ипполитом.
And this.......
Тут можно целую философскую тему открывать. С одной стороны шахматное программирование многими воспринимается именно как соревнование интеллектов, а не как умение передирать все у соперников, и я с этим согласен. Но многие программисты, достигнув определенного уровня в развитии программы, просто забивают на это дело, отчасти из-за того, что не могут стать первыми (а вы как думали, человеческое желание быть лучшим никуда не делось). Можно вспомнить авторов Заппы и Наума. Тут-то Ипполит идет только на пользу. Кстати, выход Фрукта позволил сделать большой скачок в силе программ, что конечному потребителю только плюс.
And finally the classic..............
Мне в это совсем не верится В исходниках есть очень "вкусные" моменты, которые 90% авторов топовых программ захочет иметь и у себя, я вот уже приглядел интересную идейку насчет Futility Pruning
OK?

:D

Christopher
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

WinPooh wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:Be careful then because we are expecting sudden improvement in Greko
Don't panic :)
I am too lazy to read this obscured C source.

I've reserved rights for 2400-2500 interval, and each engine of this strength should be considered as GreKo's clone, regardless of having open or closed source :D
:lol:

:P
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

rvida wrote:
WinPooh wrote:

Christopher

I can confirm to you that somewhere on the web the Bison author is saying this.......
Думается мне, что через год-полтора уже не Рыбка будет сильнейшей программой. Просто Васику ну очень трудно будет что-то новое еще придумать, а другие авторы воспользуются кладязем знаний Ипполитом.
And this.......
Тут можно целую философскую тему открывать. С одной стороны шахматное программирование многими воспринимается именно как соревнование интеллектов, а не как умение передирать все у соперников, и я с этим согласен. Но многие программисты, достигнув определенного уровня в развитии программы, просто забивают на это дело, отчасти из-за того, что не могут стать первыми (а вы как думали, человеческое желание быть лучшим никуда не делось). Можно вспомнить авторов Заппы и Наума. Тут-то Ипполит идет только на пользу. Кстати, выход Фрукта позволил сделать большой скачок в силе программ, что конечному потребителю только плюс.
Мне в это совсем не верится В исходниках есть очень "вкусные" моменты, которые 90% авторов топовых программ захочет иметь и у себя, я вот уже приглядел интересную идейку насчет Futility Pruning
OK?

Christopher
Ok Chris - thanks for laugh! :D
You hit the nail there, and nearly mirrored some of my thoughts.

Why isn't there any scottish or danish cloners? Maybe I should clone some OC engine, release it as a clone of a commercial engine, and pretend to be Isac Dinesen...

Ok, sorry for the ramblings ;)
Henrik
Sergei Markoff

Post by Sergei Markoff »

Michael Diosi wrote:... But I have to agree I never belived Pravda, despite its name.
Do you prefer to beleive Lozh (rus. False)? :)
Sergei Markoff

Post by Sergei Markoff »

rvida wrote:
Whats wrong with Bison? Or Greko? Seems like anti-russian prejudice...[/quote]

I think that's exactly it is. Some people still beleiving in vodka-bears-matreshka-balalaika-mafia-style Russia because they read about is in some western "Pravda"'s.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

I prefer serious sources of information as well as using my own eyes and mind to find out what is a clone or not. Till now I have done pretty good, what do you think ?

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Henrik Dinesen wrote:
rvida wrote:
WinPooh wrote:

Christopher

And this.......
OK?

Christopher
Ok Chris - thanks for laugh! :D
You hit the nail there, and nearly mirrored some of my thoughts.

Why isn't there any scottish or danish cloners? Maybe I should clone some OC engine, release it as a clone of a commercial engine, and pretend to be Isac Dinesen...

Ok, sorry for the ramblings ;
After speaking to Sune some time ago, I think we came to the conclusion that to be a small country, predominantly surrounded by sea, with clean air helped.

I've not seem an Icelandic one, a Faroese one or a Japanese one (although the air is an issue there) either.

It must be that.

:)

Christopher
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Moderation has removed several posts in this thread that were OT
members are advised to remain On Topic
Steve