Hippo Lite, what's really going on?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Re: Hippo Lite, what's really going on?

Post by Werner »

Christopher Conkie wrote:Be careful then because we are expecting sudden improvement in Greko, Bison, Wildcat, SmarThink and Strelka soon.........
In fact, it has already started with Bison.
We call it "futility programming".
:-)
Christopher
I don´t like such onesided statements :cry:
Werner
Sergei Markoff

Post by Sergei Markoff »

Michael Diosi wrote:Hi,

I prefer serious sources of information as well as using my own eyes and mind to find out what is a clone or not. Till now I have done pretty good, what do you think ?

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
It's wise descision which I supports in general. But it's important before to check if you're eyes not looking througth a crooked glass.

I never seen any serious data which proves that Ippolit is a clone. I think this engine is a good joke, may be by Vasik, may be but someone else, but as result we see the real state of computer chess community which looks really disgusting.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Werner wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:Be careful then because we are expecting sudden improvement in Greko, Bison, Wildcat, SmarThink and Strelka soon.........
In fact, it has already started with Bison.
We call it "futility programming".
:-)
Christopher
I don´t like such onesided statements :cry:
At this moment in time it is two sided. There is the Wildcat side and in total agreement with that there is the Bison side (see below)
Мне в это совсем не верится В исходниках есть очень "вкусные" моменты, которые 90% авторов топовых программ захочет иметь и у себя, я вот уже приглядел интересную идейку насчет Futility Pruning
If those two sides are in agreement, then we can call it one sided.

Christopher
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: Many here are starting to show their true colours. I reckon I've matched up a few names already. :wink:
I must say the only link I see between Rybka 3 and this Ippolit thing is the playing strength.
I would very much appreciate some insight into this mystery, if anyone can provide it.
I saw a link between Rybka 1 and Strelka which is totally missing here.
If I classify Ippolit as a clone now, that decision would be based solely on playing strength. Weird.

Matthias.
Agree. The output and evaluation of Strelka and Rybka were almost identical. I haven't seen anything from the output yet that says this is Rybka 3. Perhaps it's a clone of Rybka 4.
Sergei Markoff

Post by Sergei Markoff »

Christopher Conkie wrote:If those two sides are in agreement, then we can call it one sided.
It's interesting to know more about SmarThink. Looks like you're more informed about it than me.
Christopher Conkie

Sergei Markoff wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:If those two sides are in agreement, then we can call it one sided.
It's interesting to know more about SmarThink. Looks like you're more informed about it than me.
"I suspect that the comment of Sergei Markoff that Strelka 3 is stronger than Rybka 3 is wrong"

By your associations, so shall you be known.....

Anyway Osipov is saying that Ippolit is disassembled too (and he should know)

That has to be positive from him....no?

Or do you disagree with his opinion?

Christopher
Sergei Markoff

Post by Sergei Markoff »

Christopher Conkie wrote:That has to be positive from him....no?

Looks you have an interesting theory. If someone seen Strelka 3 binary it will help him a lot? Ok, looks there are a lot of people that seen Ippolit binaries. Or Ippolit can't help him, only Strelka 3?..
Christopher Conkie

Sergei Markoff wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:That has to be positive from him....no?

Looks you have an interesting theory. If someone seen Strelka 3 binary it will help him a lot? Ok, looks there are a lot of people that seen Ippolit binaries. Or Ippolit can't help him, only Strelka 3?..
But you did not answer my question. There are very few people here who would not like him to come out with something that can be declared reasonable. He did even say that he would.

Let me ask again.

Do you agree with Osipov's opinion that Ippolit is a disassembled Rybka?

Christopher
Sergei Markoff

Post by Sergei Markoff »

Christopher Conkie wrote:Do you agree with Osipov's opinion that Ippolit is a disassembled Rybka?
I think the Ippolit is the joke by Vasik or by people that Vasik provided by his sources.

I just looked at Ippolit sources, it looks clearly like a joke. Some clever people laughing on some cospiracy-theory moroons. I'm also enjoying throlling here because today I don't beleive in computer chess community any more.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

James Constance wrote: Agree. The output and evaluation of Strelka and Rybka were almost identical. I haven't seen anything from the output yet that says this is Rybka 3. Perhaps it's a clone of Rybka 4.
Output is meaningless, it's trivial to change. For one, it actually reports the real depth and knps of Rybka, which is interesting in itself :)

And as stated, it does seem to be "improved", i.e. missing contempt and tables.