Hippo Lite, what's really going on?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gerd Isenberg

Re: Hippo Lite, what's really going on?

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Christopher Conkie wrote: You think Vas would do that to Gerd and the community?
The two cpw-pages Golyadkin and Ippolit by Gogol were deleted after Vasik's note to me, that cpw was hosting obvious piracy links. He made implications Ippolit is an illegal Rybka clone.
rlsuth

Post by rlsuth »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote: You think Vas would do that to Gerd and the community?
The two cpw-pages Golyadkin and Ippolit by Gogol were deleted after Vasik's note to me, that cpw was hosting obvious piracy links. He made implications Ippolit is an illegal Rybka clone.

He needs to provide his proof then, as otherwise, it could just be that any program that threatens Rybka's perch at the top, gets accused of being illegal.
Jan Brouwer

Post by Jan Brouwer »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Thanks Gerd,

I have been tempted to have a look at the source code but now I won't.

Jan
Leto

Post by Leto »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
Sergei Markoff wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:Do you agree with Osipov's opinion that Ippolit is a disassembled Rybka?
I think the Ippolit is the joke by Vasik or by people that Vasik provided by his sources.

I just looked at Ippolit sources, it looks clearly like a joke. Some clever people laughing on some cospiracy-theory moroons. I'm also enjoying throlling here because today I don't beleive in computer chess community any more.
I hope you do believe in them. They need to believe in you or you will not sell much.

Let's call a truce on it. I'm 100% certain it's not a joke, this much is certain.

The very fact that you need to correct basic problems in an engine that strong implies a lot.

You think it is a deliberate ruse? I think you could even ask Gerd Isenberg if it was. He was around when the guy posted in the chessprogramming wiki. We watched it all (as he knows).

See here........

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/ ... s/12040041

This is the last remnant of what was there.

You think Vas would do that to Gerd and the community?

Come on Sergei.....get real please.....

Seriously, no hard feelings but I disagree completely.

Christopher
Sorry Sergei,but I am afraid that Christopher is right....I mean how could Vas be making a joke by throwing away in the net a source code that beats Rybka 3 by at least 50-60 Elo,what kind of joke is this :!: :?:
Regardless of the buggy source code,it would still harm him a lot and I personaly think that after these recent events,the dominance of Rybka is about to come to it's end....
In fact I think that in the upcoming 2-3 months we will witnesss the appearance of several chess engines playing at the level or even stronger than Rybka 4,let alone Rybka 3 which is already has been surpassed....
Dr.D
Has it been proven that Ippolit is 50 elo stronger than Rybka 3? I would think we'd need CEGT and CCRL testing to be certain of that.

Why doesn't the author make the UCI version available on the webpage?
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Leto wrote: I would think we'd need CEGT and CCRL testing to be certain of that. Why doesn't the author make the UCI version available on the webpage?
No!

Who is the author?
Werner
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

rlsuth wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:

He needs to provide his proof then, as otherwise, it could just be that any program that threatens Rybka's perch at the top, gets accused of being illegal.
The cloners sent email to Vas telling him it was a clone.
Further, Vas examined it and found the assertion to be true.

What proof would you have him provide?
rlsuth

Post by rlsuth »

Dann Corbit wrote:

None of that is proof of a clone. All you are giving is Vas' word for any of that, and he has a vested interest in the program being branded as illegal. If this forum wants to take a stand, it should require more than just Vas' word.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

rlsuth wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

None of that is proof of a clone. All you are giving is Vas' word for any of that, and he has a vested interest in the program being branded as illegal. If this forum wants to take a stand, it should require more than just Vas' word.
Once more into the breach.....

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30245

How do you get the same values in Ippolit as in Rybka? Is it luck? I know which was first if that helps.

I am going to get my odds calculator out.

I won't be long. Brb.....

There is plenty like that in Ippolit btw.

Christopher
oreopoulos

Post by oreopoulos »

From my tests (as a user) , not judging from nps but just from move selection and evaluations, Rybka 3 and Ippolit behave very very differently. If Ippolit is a clone (for me the style and behavior do not show something like that) it not of a released rybka's.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Any interest in my post ? IPP=Rybka 3 clone !

Post by Sylwy »

SzG wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
rlsuth wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

Once more into the breach.....

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30245

How do you get the same values in Ippolit as in Rybka? Is it luck? I know which was first if that helps.

I am going to get my odds calculator out.

I won't be long. Brb.....

There is plenty like that in Ippolit btw.

Christopher
I don't understand this stuff at all. How could you compare that table to that of Rybka when you don't have the Rybka sources?

What I read here all the time is that Ippolit plays totally differently from Rybka and even programmers don't agree that it is a reverse engineered Rybka (some say it's a transcript of an engine from some language to C).
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=12995
Last edited by Sylwy on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.