Ippolit questions

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jarkkop

Ippolit questions

Post by jarkkop »

Give your view of these questions:

Is it OK to use it personally?

Can you give compiled .exe to another requesting it by eMail?

Is posting games of it OK?
Graham Banks

Re: Ippolit questions

Post by Graham Banks »

All this dishonesty and deception in computer chess sometimes makes me wonder why I bother to continue with the hobby.
I guess I know now how some of the honest programmers feel, and why some get disillusioned to the point of giving it away.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Graham Banks wrote:All this dishonesty and deception in computer chess sometimes makes me wonder why I bother to continue with the hobby.
I guess I know now how some of the honest programmers feel, and why some get disillusioned to the point of giving it away.
Yup.
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Graham Banks wrote:All this dishonesty and deception in computer chess sometimes makes me wonder why I bother to continue with the hobby.
Why do you think it's dishonest if someone asks whether it's fine to use an engine that is not proved to come from illegal actions?
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
George Tsavdaris

jarkkop wrote:Give your view of these questions:

Is it OK to use it personally?
You have to take 2 cases here:

-Use it personally and say in public that you use it personally.
-Use it personally and don't say in public that you use it personally.

In the second case it's OK to do it as no one would know except yourself. So even if using it proves to be illegal i guess you will not sue yourself so it's perfectly fine to use it.

In the first case it's OK right now to use it as no one has proved it's an illegal engine. Someone has released an engine and you use it where is the bad thing?
My opinion is that Ippolit is definitely a clone of Rybka 3 by means of having borrowed big parts of R3 by a reverse engineered procedure, but i'm about 99.9% sure and i not 100% sure.
If i was 100% sure and haven't bought Rybka 3 then i would not use it.
If i was 100% sure and have bought Rybka 3(as i've did) then i would use it.

Can you give compiled .exe to another requesting it by eMail?
Until something is proved to be illegal this obviously is legal to do, but personally i would not do it because i think it's 99.9% a R3 clone with the way i described above.
Yes.
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Harvey Williamson

George Tsavdaris wrote:
jarkkop wrote:
Yes.
Except that if you post your games with an illegal clone you are admitting you downloaded it and may be breaking the law and therefore your post is of questionable legal status. I have not seen games allowed to be posted on the other main forums.
George Tsavdaris

Harvey Williamson wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
jarkkop wrote:
Yes.
Except that if you post your games with an illegal clone you are admitting you downloaded it and may be breaking the law and therefore your post is of questionable legal status. I have not seen games allowed to be posted on the other main forums.
You imply that the posted games are games that you have played which is not correct. I can post for example games that i saw them in another place.

Also until now no one has proved that Ippolit is a clone of Rybka 3 and what "clone of Rybka 3" means and how and why this is illegal.

There is just a page that has some code that when you compile it you get a strong engine. Some say it is a clone of Rybka 3.
So?
I say it too. So?
Why this is illegal?
What exactly is a "clone of an engine"? And when it is illegal? Perhaps Ippolit only uses ideas of Rybka 3 so it's not illegal.
And illegal according to what laws? Perhaps it's illegal for a European but not for an American citizen.
No one until now has proved anything concrete, so i don't find anything bad in using it.

The situation is a real mess and i think it does hurt the computer Chess scene, but this is irrelevant with using or not the engine.
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Harvey Williamson

George Tsavdaris wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
jarkkop wrote:
Yes.
You imply that the posted games are games that you have played which is not correct. I can post for example games that i saw them in another place.

Also until now no one has proved that Ippolit is a clone of Rybka 3 and what "clone of Rybka 3" means and how and why this is illegal.

There is just a page that has some code that when you compile it you get a strong engine. Some say it is a clone of Rybka 3.
So?
I say it too. So?
Why this is illegal?
What exactly is a "clone of an engine"? And when it is illegal? Perhaps Ippolit only uses ideas of Rybka 3 so it's not illegal.
And illegal according to what laws? Perhaps it's illegal for a European but not for an American citizen.
No one until now has proved anything concrete, so i don't find anything bad in using it.

The situation is a real mess and i think it does hurt the computer Chess scene, but this is irrelevant with using or not the engine.
Well if you expect a court case in Russia you are not going to get one. Nobody had heard of this clone till last week when it was advertised here although it was known to a few. The most striking thing I think is that the people who made it sent Vas regular updates by email of their progress. As for the fact you may have seen games posted somewhere else and just pasted them here then yes if that could be proved it could be used in evidence for the defence.

lol you could even be asked to provide evidence you bought the rybka it was playing against. Having booted probably about a 100 off Playchess since it was 1st advertised here I would bet that most of the people playing with it on Playchess did not purchase their copy of Rybka.
George Tsavdaris

Harvey Williamson wrote:Nobody had heard of this clone till last week when it was advertised here although it was known to a few.
Yes i also wonder about this. Why now? Although there should be some time anyway but i wonder if there was any particular reason for this time.

I will search of who did the first post here about Ippolit. He perhaps will know why he posted that and where he did hear about it and why he decided to post it this time.
Do you happen to know who was it and get me out of trouble?

Yes The most striking thing I think is that the people who made it sent Vas regular updates by email of their progress.
:shock: Really? Why do you think that?
Do you happen to know Vas opinion about it when he was receiving the emails? I find it extremely bizarre this to happen. Not that there is something in this case that seems logical. :D
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Harvey Williamson

George Tsavdaris wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Nobody had heard of this clone till last week when it was advertised here although it was known to a few.
Yes i also wonder about this. Why now? Although there should be some time anyway but i wonder if there was something particular reason for this time.

I will search of who did the first post here about Ippolit. He perhaps will know why he posted that and where he did heard about it and why he decided to post it this time.
Do you happen to know who was it and get me out of trouble?

Yes The most striking thing I think is that the people who made it sent Vas regular updates by email of their progress.
:shock: Really? Why do you think that?
Do you happen to know Vas opinion about it when he was receiving the emails? I find it extremely bizarre this to happen. Not that there is something in this case that seems logical. :D
No I don't know who made the 1st post. Vas did not mention it at the time as, rightly, he thought no publicity was best. However the Cloners were so proud of what they were doing in decompiling his code that that they thought they should send him regular updates.

Maybe Vas will decide to share some of these gems!?
the hackers were even kind enough to keep me updated via email.

Vas