Weird Arena ICS bug

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Bas Hamstra

Weird Arena ICS bug

Post by Bas Hamstra »

At the FICS server some engines play on until they are mated. Now I notice the weird phenomenon that Arena refuses to play a move when it is mate in one (if Tao is winning). It plays all mate in X moves perfectly, exept for the mating move itsself. In the debug window I see that Tao DOES send the move ( ie UCI style "best move d7d8\n"), but Arena refuses to play it.

It's kind of frustrating to watch it lose on time in a mate-in-one situation. Anyone has come across this problem?

Bas
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Weird Arena ICS bug

Post by hgm »

No. Because we use WinBoard! :P
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

...with some PolyGlot variation.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Bas Hamstra wrote:At the FICS server some engines play on until they are mated. Now I notice the weird phenomenon that Arena refuses to play a move when it is mate in one (if Tao is winning). It plays all mate in X moves perfectly, exept for the mating move itsself. In the debug window I see that Tao DOES send the move ( ie UCI style "best move d7d8\n"), but Arena refuses to play it.

It's kind of frustrating to watch it lose on time in a mate-in-one situation. Anyone has come across this problem?

Bas
Not heard of that one before. Hmmmm. Let's try to help.

First thing I notice there is that the move is d7d8. Is it an improperly sent promotion move?

Is this a development version of Tao? Or is it one that you have used before that you know is ok?

Also what version of Arena are you using? And may we see the debug please?

Christopher
Last edited by Christopher Conkie on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.