Setting up ProDeo in SCID

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kirk

Setting up ProDeo in SCID

Post by Kirk »

I tried with no luck to get ProDeo running in SCID

It installs but the analysis will not start

Has anyone tried this and has any advice?
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
royb

Re: Setting up ProDeo in SCID

Post by royb »

I run many different engines under SCID but I could not make ProDeo work, sadly. It was my favorite engine for many years...
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

royb wrote:I run many different engines under SCID but I could not make ProDeo work, sadly. It was my favorite engine for many years...
I appreciate you letting me know. I was wondering if it was just something simple that I was missing
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Kirk wrote:I tried with no luck to get ProDeo running in SCID

It installs but the analysis will not start

Has anyone tried this and has any advice?
There are several problems.
First, SCID does not like quotes in the path. So if your engine is in a location like:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Lokasoft\ChessPartner5.3\engines\ProDeo16

then it's not going to work period.

If you have installed your engine in another path like:
c:\chess\winboard\prodeo

then you can start the engine so that it is in memory, if you give it command line parameters to tell it hash and personality, but it won't analyze because SCID is not feeding the board information in the way that ProDeo wants to see it.

If there is a way to do it, I would be interested to know.
shiv

Post by shiv »

There are also 2 incompatibilities with the Prodeo/Scid communication:

Problem #1: First problem is that one needs to be in the prodeo folder as the engine references prodeo.exe (the winboard executable) even if you start the UCI version. In scid, you need to make the current dir the ProDeo dir in the engine setup.

Problem #2: Prodeo does not seem to analyze according to the UCI specifications. Perhaps, I am mistaken.

On the command line I tried:
uci
isready
position fen rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1
go ponder infinite

and I get from Prodeo 1.2: info depth 1 score 1

Trying the above commands with a few other engines, I see actual analysis being displayed. The problem is that Prodeo does NOT analyze on "go ponder infinite" but instead does analysis only on "go infinite".

It would seem that scid source needs to be modified to support Prodeo.

And the final wrinkle:
Even with "go infinite", prodeo sometimes reports "info depth 1 score 1" and scid expects score cp ..

Prodeo returns the score cp line most of the time, but the score 1 confuses scid (which can be easily configured to be ignored by scid).
shiv

Post by shiv »

I reported the issues of the previous post on the scid mailing list. The feeling was Prodeo should be patched to support the deficiencies I pointed out as scid is making legal UCI calls. I doubt Ed Schroeder will fix it now given that he is retired.
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

shiv wrote:I reported the issues of the previous post on the scid mailing list. The feeling was Prodeo should be patched to support the deficiencies I pointed out as scid is making legal UCI calls. I doubt Ed Schroeder will fix it now given that he is retired.
I also found an issue in Arena 2.0.1 with Prodeo 1.5/1.6: It does not analyze in starting position (other UCI engines have no problem with that); but when Prodeo is out of the library, then it can analyze under Arena.

When i set up a position and change something (castling parameters for example or i set the white pawn from e2 to e4 (even when i give the next move to black), then analyzing is also possible.

In Scid 4.0 i get the following message: "The analysis engine terminated without warning; it probably crashed or had an internal error."

Robert
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

shiv wrote:I reported the issues of the previous post on the scid mailing list. The feeling was Prodeo should be patched to support the deficiencies I pointed out as scid is making legal UCI calls. I doubt Ed Schroeder will fix it now given that he is retired.
ProDeo is not a UCI engine. It is a Winboard engine.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Is the "rebeluci" engine a sort of "fudged" WB engine to fit in the UCI socket?
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Kirk wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Is the "rebeluci" engine a sort of "fudged" WB engine to fit in the UCI socket?
It is just the WB2UCI adapter from Odd Gunnar Malin.

Guenther