2009 ACCA Pan Am/Western Hemishpher Computer Chess Champs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: 2009 ACCA Pan Am/Western Hemishpher Computer Chess Champ

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Charles you again refer to Western hemisphere citizens which includes me and Mark.

Yes there are several tournaments in europe that are open to all. Your tournament if it was one where a team member must attend would be nice but it is not it is just another internet tournament.
Watchman

Post by Watchman »

If there was a corresponding "Eastern Hemisphere" tourney and a playoff between the 2 winners, I could see some logic in this.

As it is, it gives the appearance, "well we have been excluded so now we exclude 'them'." Especially since this is just another internet tournament. None of you are travelling to a certain location in the States as the operators do in Europe.

So it all seems a bit childish, imo, to exclude some and permit others.
Rob O. / Watchman
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Watchman wrote:If there was a corresponding "Eastern Hemisphere" tourney and a playoff between the 2 winners, I could see some logic in this.

As it is, it gives the appearance, "well we have been excluded so now we exclude 'them'." Especially since this is just another internet tournament. None of you are travelling to a certain location in the States as the operators do in Europe.

So it all seems a bit childish, imo, to exclude some and permit others.
Actually, this tournament is an annual gathering event. Just happens that this year we will not do any traveling. We do have an annual open
event the World Computer Rapid Chess Championships. I thought of the eastern hemishphere tournament and started another thread about that.
Watchman

Post by Watchman »

Ah ok sir... thanks for that explanation...

Maybe just a small portion of crow for me. :P
Rob O. / Watchman
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Charles you again refer to Western hemisphere citizens which includes me and Mark.
Western hemisphere is a loose term that Charles used for "New World", The Americas, etc. Some people use the term differently, but choosing the Greenwich meridian as a splitting point was never the intention. Charles was choosing the whole Atlantic Ocean :-)

Miguel
Yes there are several tournaments in europe that are open to all. Your tournament if it was one where a team member must attend would be nice but it is not it is just another internet tournament.
JVMerlino

Re: 2009 ACCA -- Operator for Myrddin?

Post by JVMerlino »

If anybody would like to operate Myrddin for this tournament, please send me an e-mail at JVMerlino@aol.com.

Just so you know what you're getting into, given Myrddin's strength relative to the engines that are currently listed as participating, it is likely that Myrddin will lose every game. Additionally, neither I nor Myrddin have an ICC account, so you would have to use your own.

Many thanks in advance to any who offer,
jm
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Will Singleton has entered Amateur.

John Merlino is still looking for an operator.

Registration ends tonight at midnight California time.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I could operate it but you'd need an ICC account - I cannot use an existing account.

--Jon
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

Hi Jon,

Thanks very much for the offer. Apparently Charles is trying to get temporary accounts, but is not having much success. If you do get to run Myrddin, then you can grab version 0.82 at my site:

http://computer-chess.org/doku.php?id=c ... ddin:index

Just make sure to run with the following command line:

myrddin kibitz=1

...so that it will comply with the pv kibitzing rules for the tournament. Everything else should work fine.

If not, then I apologize in advance, because I won't be available to assist you! :)

Thanks again,
jm
[/url]
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

The game is afoot. In a rather unusual situation, we did something different.
We were having trouble getting a 12th opponent to round out the field.
So, Vincent Diepveen is playing. He the human not the computer!