question for GCP: are you planning a new release of Sjeng?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

question for GCP: are you planning a new release of Sjeng?

Post by kasinp »

It's been a while since WC2008. I admit that the possibility of seeing a cluster version is exciting (I think this was mentioned at some point) but in any case it would be nice to see a newer version of (D)Sjeng.

Any plans that you could share?

Thank you,
PK
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Re: question for GCP: are you planning a new release of Sje

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

kasinp wrote:It's been a while since WC2008. I admit that the possibility of seeing a cluster version is exciting (I think this was mentioned at some point) but in any case it would be nice to see a newer version of (D)Sjeng.

Thank you,
PK
Nothing concrete at this point. Due to what happened with Rybka (Ippolit disaster) I am going to consider very carefully before releasing anything new, or whether it even makes sense.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
kasinp wrote:It's been a while since WC2008. I admit that the possibility of seeing a cluster version is exciting (I think this was mentioned at some point) but in any case it would be nice to see a newer version of (D)Sjeng.

Thank you,
PK
Nothing concrete at this point. Due to what happened with Rybka (Ippolit disaster) I am going to consider very carefully before releasing anything new, or whether it even makes sense.
Yeah - the general glee with with which some have accepted the illegal engine with both hands and run with it is very disappointing.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:

Thank you,
PK
Why it would not make sense? :?
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Spock

Post by Spock »

Graham Banks wrote: Yeah - the general glee with with which some have accepted the illegal engine with both hands and run with it is very disappointing.
If it is illegal (I haven't been following the threads on this engine) what would be more disappointing is if other competitor commercial engine authors studied the code with a view to improving their own engines. Their hands would be just as dirty as the person who committed the alleged illegal act in the first place. It must be a huge temptation, but one I'd hope most if not all would resist.
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Spock wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: Yeah - the general glee with with which some have accepted the illegal engine with both hands and run with it is very disappointing.
If it is illegal (I haven't been following the threads on this engine) what would be more disappointing is if other competitor commercial engine authors studied the code with a view to improving their own engines. Their hands would be just as dirty as the person who committed the alleged illegal act in the first place. It must be a huge temptation, but one I'd hope most if not all would resist.
Why do you believe that knowledge should be locked on a cave?
Ideas and knowledge is free and anyone can use anything without any moral issues.

Of course the one who reverse engineered Rybka 3(if he did) and produced the code and provided it to the public, is illegal and probably immoral. But not the ones who look at the code.
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

George Tsavdaris wrote:
Spock wrote:
Ideas and knowledge is free and anyone can use anything without any moral issues.

Of course the one who reverse engineered Rybka 3(if he did) and produced the code and provided it to the public, is illegal and probably immoral. But not the ones who look at the code.
I equate it to the crime of receiving or fencing stolen goods. That's why it's wrong.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Spock

Post by Spock »

Graham Banks wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
Spock wrote:

I equate it to the crime of receiving or fencing stolen goods. That's why it's wrong.
Agreed
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

I hadn't thought of that... what a shame. I guess we may be back to the awkward copy protection days (if that even helps the issue here).

Hope you find a way to protect your IP; would love to see the new version out some time.

Regards,
PK
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

kasinp wrote: Hope you find a way to protect your IP; would love to see the new version out some time.

Regards,
PK
Deep Sjeng is a very nice engine. I'd miss it too.
gbanksnz at gmail.com