question for GCP: are you planning a new release of Sjeng?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

F. Bluemers

Re: question for GCP: are you planning a new release of Sje

Post by F. Bluemers »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:Then you are violating the international human rights.
An engine with human rights,interesting :?
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

International Human Rights Law, Article 11:

"Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence."
Then apply that to Rybka too. this is really disgusting here.
Last edited by Rolf on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Rolf wrote:
Then apply that to Rybka too. this is really disgusting here.
Interesting to note that Alexander is being applauded as a true hero in the cloners forum.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Where did I say that?

I said my opinion about that. I said I think it is based on Fruit. And I said also that it is fine for me because it's Fabiens buisness to take action against it.

Maybe there is an arrangement between VR and Fabien, I can't know that.

Again you just accuse me instead of thinking about what are you doing here.

You are violating human rights, thats a fact.
Last edited by Alexander Schmidt on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:..........
The Ippolit situation is just a massive lose-lose situations for all parties involved. Including, eventually, the users.
Sadly yes. The situation also hasn't been helped at all by the strong anti-Vas atmosphere that seems to pervade this forum.
Vasik is guilty with big G for ignoring the Rybka fans and disrespecting them by not bothering to elaborate the messy situation rised by the cursed engine which is 70 Elo stronger than Rybka....

If a naked statement is enough for you,well,that's your problem,not mine....

BTW,if IP is a clone of Rybka 3,hell reverse engineered or not,the damage is already done right :?: So,why doesn't Mr.Rajlich rise up and proove it,I mean it's already there,exposed to the whole world :!: :?:
I'll tell you why,because the truth is somewhere else,it's something else and time will reveal it....

Yes,it's a clone of Rybka regards,
Dr.D
Sorry, but he is not guilty of any such thing. Silence is his only option unfortunately, if he is to have any chance of protecting his work. Honestly, what would you have him do? Publish the source of his engine and prove it is a copy? Publish the key parts that help make it what it is? In what way does he owe this to Rybka fans????

You recall Strelka and its identical situation? How the programmer claimed in forums it was all a farce? Well, I read the guy's correspondence with Vas, and not only did he not deny it, he had the gall to ask for Vas's permission to publish it commercially. Duly denied needless to say.

Albert
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Those only apply to people that actually exist.

Shall we put Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin and Igor Igorovich Igoronov to trial?
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:Where did I say that?

I said my opinion about that. I said I think it is based on Fruit. And I said also that it is fine for me because it's Fabiens buisness to take action against it.

Maybe there is an arrangement between VR and Fabien, I can't know that.

Again you just accuse me instead of thinking about what are you doing here.

You are violating human rights, thats a fact.
Is it? I thought Graham was a teacher and not able to charge you with anything at all. When were you arrested?
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Since when does your engine not being used by others count as penetention?
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Albert Silver wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
Albert Silver wrote: How do you make that decision? Give me an example where and when it would be ok, as per your view, to take and publish his confidential work.
I believe that knowledge belongs to everyone with all costs! And that people should give all their ideas to the public. Eventually.
The latter means after taking advantage from the ideas and make some money. And when there is a point where gain of money has decreased so much(e.g after 2-3 years for Rybka 3) the ideas/the knowledge has to be shared.
Let us suppose now that selling Rybka 1 has no real commercial value. By your argumentation the knowledge behind its success has to be shared. Why?
Because of science. Science is above all.
And science says that knowledge has to be shared.

Perhaps you do not believe that, but i believe that so i say these things.
What moral obligation does he have to explain to his opponents how he beat them silly?
I'm not saying his has necessarily a moral obligation to his opponents, i'm saying he has a moral obligation to the giants and non giants that he stood on their shoulders to create Rybka. And by never giving his shoulders to humanity, for other people to stand, is not correct and moral.

A moral obligation to science that is.

There have been several engines topping the lists in the past, such as Fritz, Hiarcs, and Shredder, and I don't recall anyone arguing the authors had some obligation to publish the code of their engine's older incarnations.
They had too of course.

Vas has single-handedly revived the entire field of chess-programming after a long period of stagnation. This isn't meant to belittle the efforts of other programmers, whether commercial, or helping teach (such as Bob), but I clearly recall, when Rybka beta was first announced, a period of YEARS, where the most software progress seen per year was in the order of 30 Elo. Furthermore, if we actually got that much, it was considered the work of genius. Suddenly Vas comes along, not only clobbering the field to the tune of at least 100 Elo, but delivering that same 100 Elo progress year after year. A one-hit wonder he is not.

And strangely enough, suddenly engines left and right were displaying serious progress, which years before would have been considered miraculous. Now do NOT get me wrong: I am absolutely NOT suggesting that the progress seen in Shredder or Hiarcs is in any way related to Rybka secrets. I am suggesting that they have been forced to step up the pace *considerably* in order to not be permanently condemned to choking on Rybka's dust as it speeds ahead.

Feel fortunate you actually have the option to buy Rybka and are not faced with it being a privateware engine such as Ferret.
I 100% agree with all these you are saying and these are great points that show how great is Vas, but this is irrelevant with the point we are talking about, about his obligation of releasing one day Rybka's code or the ideas inside it.
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Albert Silver wrote:I thought Graham was a teacher and not able to charge you with anything at all. When were you arrested?
Where did I say i was arrested? Acuseing someone of an illegal action without any proof is illegal as well. At least in my country.