question for GCP: are you planning a new release of Sjeng?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

michiguel

Re: question for GCP: are you planning a new release of Sje

Post by michiguel »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:Your choice of engines is odd to say the least. Kaissa....Patriot.... Strelka.... All well known clones.
As I guessed you still didn't read what I wrote. Else you would know that the choice is not by me, it's what is written by the Ippolit authors, and it is confirmed by similaries between Kaissa and Ippolit.

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 96&t=30276

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#302839
You have in yous signature
International Human Rights Law, Article 11:
"Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence."

Which seems to imply that this is related to the thread.

The Human Rights should not be taken lightly. This issue has nothing to do with that because HR applied to people (real people) who are physically punished or their liberty is restrained by more powerful entities (e.g. government or organized groups). This, as best if you are right, would be slander. But, how can you slander an anonymous entity?

Miguel
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

michiguel wrote: This issue has nothing to do with that because HR applied to people (real people) who are physically punished or their liberty is restrained by more powerful entities (e.g. government or organized groups). This, as best if you are right, would be slander. But, how can you slander an anonymous entity?

Miguel
Human rights apply to everyone.

Accusing someone of illegal action is not just slander.

All here are "anonymus" persons. Does this give me the rigth to slander you?

Article 2
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.
chessfurby

Post by chessfurby »

Actually right now i am ashamed to be from the same country as you. Also you wouldnt be able to handle the truth (or proof) if it was handed to you on a silver platter. You compare Graham to international warcriminals just because he speaks out loud that elo greedy morons download any engine without a single thought or hesitation give you the right to compare Graham and those who think the same way as he does to criminals that stand in front of the human rights court?!!
Pathetic.
chessfurby

Post by chessfurby »

Indeed. Until ruled by court, the long dead peeps named above own the copyright, future income of the engine and so on :P
Oh hey i want to court martial the bees and ants that invade my place during summer! They do not respect my living room! Every human being has the untouchable right of a safe place! So the ants are war criminals Yuff Yuff! To DenHaag with them! :roll: :roll:
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

Hi Graham,
I wonder whether you would be kind enough to answer a few questions for me.

I seem to remember that you have been in recent contact with Vas and that he has told you that his engine has been cloned and that the cloners were sending him email updates about the progress that they were making. Do you happen to know whether he has made all or part of those emails available for public scrutiny? If he has, do you know where?

I also think that Vas once believed that Strelka was a clone of Rybka. Was that issue ever settled and if so, what was the outcome?

I note that the logo assigned to one of the engines that is associated with the putative clone is a multi coloured fish.
Alexander Schmidt

chessfurby wrote:Also you wouldnt be able to handle the truth (or proof) if it was handed to you on a silver platter.
I would be _happy_ to see a proof.

But as far as there is _nothing_ I pressume innocenty.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:Your choice of engines is odd to say the least. Kaissa....Patriot.... Strelka.... All well known clones.
As I guessed you still didn't read what I wrote. Else you would know that the choice is not by me, it's what is written by the Ippolit authors, and it is confirmed by similaries between Kaissa and Ippolit.

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 96&t=30276

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#302839
I'm guessing you didn't read what you wrote either. In one long message you make a big case of spitting on VR's words, supposedly to invalidate his statement that Ippolit is a clone, and in the next you show that the author of Ippolit is a well-known cloner with a long history of using the work of others without permission. Frankly, it makes your statement of Ippolit being a legitimate original work completely laughable IMO.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Alexander Schmidt

Albert Silver wrote:In one long message you make a big case of spitting on VR's words
I explained what I was talking about. Not spitting on VR's words, just explaining that Ippolit is not a plain decompiled Rybka 3. Meanwhile most agree btw.
Albert Silver wrote: and in the next you show that the author of Ippolit is a well-known cloner
In my opinion... I try to get light in the dark...
Albert Silver wrote:your statement of Ippolit being a legitimate original work
Uhh... And where did I say that? :lol:

I always said, it is possible that it contains Rybka code. But it is also possible that there is no stolen code inside.

I just want the people to accept ethical fundamentals, to be careful with accusations of illegal action.
zamar

Post by zamar »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: The Ippolit situation is just a massive lose-lose situations for all parties involved. Including, eventually, the users.
Exactly! It was much more fun to develop Stockfish before Ippolit was released. There was a fair competition for developing the strongest open-source engine. Now all the "fairness" has completely gone :(
Joona Kiiski
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:In one long message you make a big case of spitting on VR's words
I explained what I was talking about. Not spitting on VR's words, just explaining that Ippolit is not a plain decompiled Rybka 3.
Either you think people are stupid, or you're joking.

"So what is VR's statement worth? I'll give the answer to you: Nothing."

Even odder was to suggest that Ippolit was a form of super Crafty. Since it is a developed version of Kaissa, which is a well-known clone of Crafty.

"Ippolit has similaries to Kaissa, and I guess it is based on it like I posted here before."
Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Albert Silver wrote: and in the next you show that the author of Ippolit is a well-known cloner
I just want the people to accept ethical fundamentals, to be careful with accusations of illegal action.
VR already made the accusation, and I do not believe for a millisecond that he did so without being thoroughly convinced of his position. Since his reputation and integrity would be at serious risk if the accusation were unfounded, and I do not believe he is careless about them, his word is good enough for me.

Now add the fact that the accused engine's author has a *long* history of stealing the work of others and publishing them as his original works, then frankly, your whole 'defense' stinks of deliberate disingenuousness.

It may be your opinion that Vas's statement has no value, and your cloner buddy is the honest guy, but it is not mine.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."