Re: Chritsophe Theron, Nimzo, et al

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

Without rancor:

I've read here that Mr. Theron no longer works on his chess engine, Chess Tiger. Is this in fact true? If so, that is sad. Additionally, Nimzo has been left by the wayside, likewise sad.
Does anyone know if there any chance Mr. Theron may return to Tiger?
Another question: Is there a legitimate way to convert CT 2004 to UCI or WB so as to be able to play against Fritz on the same computer? (I do have CT 2007, duly paid for...); it would be nice to have CT 2004 play against a CB engine such as Fritz.
I believe I read at Lokasoft that Ktulu will no longer be worked on so Ktulu will not get any more updates. That is sad also; Ktulu 9 especially has become one of my favorite engines along with Hiarcs.
And Junior...is there any real indications an updated version may be released? Then there is Ruffian.
David S.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dayffd wrote:Without rancor:

I've read here that Mr. Theron no longer works on his chess engine, Chess Tiger. Is this in fact true? If so, that is sad. Additionally, Nimzo has been left by the wayside, likewise sad.
Another question: Is there a legitimate way to convert CT 2004 to UCI or WB so as to be able to play against Fritz on the same computer? (I do have CT 2007, duly paid for...); it would be nice to have CT 2004 play against a CB engine such as Fritz.
I believe I read at Lokasoft that Ktulu will no longer be worked on so Ktulu will not get any more updates. That is sad also; Ktulu 9 especially has become one of my favorite engines along with Hiarcs.
And Junior...is there any real indications an updated version may be released? Then there is Ruffian.
It would be great if Christophe was to continue developing Tiger, but I think he has lost the desire.
CT2004 can't be run in other GUIs as far as I'm aware.

No idea what's up with Junior.

The Ruffian author? Nobody seems to know what the story is there.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Per-Ola Valfridsson has become interested in backgammon. I've seen tournament results in the post-Ruffian era. He just seems to have picked up another hobby.

Cheers,
Kaj
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Alas I too mourn for many engines too numerous to mention here....
Eraserheads

Post by Eraserheads »

I really miss Chess Tiger, Junior and Chess System Tal the most, because of these engines I became passionate about computer chess.

Christophe, is it possible for you to create a UCI version of Chess Tiger 14?
Dayffd wrote:Without rancor: