Paradigm shifts

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Christopher Conkie

Re: Paradigm shifts

Post by Christopher Conkie »

mclane wrote: Of course i did. Chris Whittington is not the owner of the sources anymore.
i got the sources from the owner of the source code.
Which is? Who is the owner? We better check that. Perhaps they will give it to everyone?
You refer to chris whittington and claim something. this is typical for you. you post all kind of stuff about other people in public.
but as usual the things you post are not true.
Like what? It is a bit rich you saying things like that. I get the feeling you are just about to prove such a point about yourself.
if somebody posts that the things you say are not true you usually
blackmail these people, or you threaten these people with strange
comments such as you would care for them or they should go into
CTF or you would delete their accounts or whatever.
That did not take long. I think there needs to be a little truth here. As I seem to remember it was YOU who used to record telephone conversations with Frederick Friedel and then publish them. You have a very very short memory Thorsten.

I invite trolls (if they want to go in there) to do what they do here in there under the provisio that if they do mess up, they then get deleted. I would expect you to do the same if they mess up in there. Mostly they stay in here although which is more telling of their bravery.

:P

I am pretty sure I know what you are like. It is not very nice. Are we done? Good....

Christopher
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
mclane wrote: Of course i did. Chris Whittington is not the owner of the sources anymore.
i got the sources from the owner of the source code.
Which is? Who is the owner? We better check that. Perhaps they will give it to everyone?

i think a google search will make it christopher.
i am sure you are capable of doing a google search. if you
concentrate on it.
Like what? It is a bit rich you saying things like that.
my believe in communism is that one should share anything christopher.

That did not take long. I think there needs to be a little truth here. As I seem to remember it was YOU who used to record telephone conversations with Frederick Friedel and then publish them. You have a very very short memory Thorsten.
and this has WHAT to do with the topic or my comment ?
i guess a typical kind of confusion strategy of you.
if attacked, and no way out of it, just change the topic.
I invite trolls (if they want to go in there) to do what they do here in there under the provisio that if they do mess up, they then get deleted. I would expect you to do the same if they mess up in there. Mostly they stay in here although which is more telling of their bravery.

:P

I am pretty sure I know what you are like. It is not very nice. Are we done? Good....

Christopher
christopher we will never be done.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Christopher Conkie

If you make such comments, I will answer you. In fact, I answered exactly what you commented on with some harsh truth.

Anyone here can read what you said and the exact reply I gave you to what you said.

Meanwhile......
As it stands you are only extending the thread in ways that are off topic (ie not computer chess/shifting paradigm related).

I have no idea what communism has to do with the topic, but as to the sharing part, put the source code here for everyone or go away.

The fact that any commercial software is now not safe is a worrying shift in what was once a fixed paradigm. If however you feel like being a communist and sharing, you know what to do next.

I think we really are done unless we all see a link from you now.

;)

Christopher
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

SzG wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote: stolen stuff.
Christopher
This is exactly what is yet to be proven. What you say is: it is stolen because it is stolen.
IMO it's not sober to repeat that all over the place if it has been explained why this actually cant be proven in front of anonymous thieves. Dont you get that? In what justice world you are living where thieves could order what to do and when? I thought you had understood that. Sorry if not. -Rolf
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
If you make such comments, I will answer you. In fact, I answered exactly what you commented on with some harsh truth.

Anyone here can read what you said and the exact reply I gave you to what you said.

Meanwhile......
As it stands you are only extending the thread in ways that are off topic (ie not computer chess/shifting paradigm related).

I have no idea what communism has to do with the topic, but as to the sharing part, put the source code here for everyone or go away.

The fact that any commercial software is now not safe is a worrying shift in what was once a fixed paradigm. If however you feel like being a communist and sharing, you know what to do next.

I think we really are done unless we all see a link from you now.

;)

Christopher
As I understood,the source code has another owner now,so how he can put the source code here to share with everyone :!: :?:
And why must he go away if he doesn't :?: :?:

Ah,btw,how's your Exactachess engine doing nowadays Christopher,I recall that you've been developing it since the year 2002,right,when we supposed to be good friends :!: :?:
Oh sorry,you told me not to mention that for now,but after 7 long years,I am geetting a little bit bored waiting for this marvelous engine to rock the computer chess scene :roll:

Zero contribution for now....

Now you know Gabor why I told you once that the guy is a "programmer"....

Ah,don't rush to start another flame war,I won't bother answering you,but it will be you that you have to answer why you didn't publish your engine till now :?: :?:

Share it or go away :P

Eat your own poison regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Christopher Conkie

You are funny.

Exactachess is a website.

http://www.exactachess.com/

You should know. It used to host your book until......well......shall I tell them?
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

I'm sorry that this thread has gone so far off track, GCP. It was a very interesting initial post, and not too much after that. I hope I can get this back on track. :)
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:A train of thought I wanted to post in the DS thread, but which is probably worthy of a separate topic.

I see Ippolit in the same way as Fruit. It creates a new gold standard for engine development. If you write a new engine, you should study Ippolit inside out and consider it the reference of how to do things. The same thing happened with Fruit. The result was that any new engine was on average several hundred ELO stronger than was the case before Fruit.
I don't think Ippolit will ever match Fruit in terms of influence. Before Fruit, everyone was trying to make their evals as big as possible, without spending all that much time testing and tuning. The influence of Fruit was to thoroughly test everything (to be very bug-free), and keep the eval simple enough to be reasonably tunable. Tord should also get some credit for this philosophy.

Rybka also created a paradigm shift IMO in their testing strategy. The idea of running ultra-fast games in order to get as many as possible seems simple, but the common knowledge was that such games would be total nonsense and wouldn't help at all. I remember Vincent saying a few years back, "Do you think commercial programmers test at 1+0?" Nowadays, I don't know anybody that even tests that slow. :)

There isn't really anything paradigm-shifting in Ippolit IMO. It LMRs like crazy, but I think this is really just an extension of Fruit's PV-centric search strategy.

One other reason I don't think it will become a "gold standard" is that the code is really really ugly. Even the Robbolitos.
It also created the unfortunate situation that any new engine looks a lot like Fruit. There was a thinning of original development and ideas. (Not sure how to say that properly in English)

I am sure that Ippolit will accomplish the same.

Maybe this is a good thing, and it's a kind of natural selection of ideas. But it's also a fact that any alternative approach will have a formidable baseline to meet before it can be considered. Without the Fruit or Ippolit sources out, there was more breeding ground for new ideas.

Computer go was going in the wrong direction for years, it took some very stubborn people to go the other direction for 10 years before they could meet the gold standard from the wrong direction and leapfrog over it. Now the opposite is happening: if you're not an UCT-like Monte Carlo with patterns playout based program, you're too weak to be relevant. But your approach might be the right one.

The chess paradigm has been to make an as fast as possible alpha-beta searcher with selectivity and heavy leaf pruning, and as much evaluation is practical. This has been remarkably stable over the last, say, 20 years. The extremities to which the approach has been pushed are amazing.
Well, I agree. I don't think that AB is necessarily the best way. I've actually been experimenting with a couple of non-AB ideas that show some promise. One very nice side effect is that parallelization is much easier. So get ready for another paradigm shift. :)
I think there was a paradigm shift when magic bitboards appeared. They are efficient enough that they make any other approach just look wrong. However board representation is not that defining for program strength. (This might be quite subjective)
I disagree there, just because I don't use magic bitboards. :) There were a ton of bitboard techniques that were invented in the same time period that could be considered paradigm-shifting when taken together. Anything but rotated really :)
What are, in your opinion, the odds we will see another paradigm shift? What might be a trigger?

I have some hope big manycore cpus (much more than 100 cores) might cause it. Maybe someday someone makes a workable, strong GPU program. I believe that to accomplish that, a paradigm shift is needed.
Agreed.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:A new paradigm shift could be evaluation functions that tune themselves automatically, getting truely better from game to game, and maintaining only weights in a small fixed-size file.

Matthias.
I think this would reach a diminishing return quickly, although I've been surprised by Stockfish.

Better would be a way to discover the features automatically.
True, but this is _very_ hard. I think there is a lot more potential in automatic tuning that needs to be squeezed out.
Jan Brouwer

Post by Jan Brouwer »

Zach Wegner wrote:I'm sorry that this thread has gone so far off track, GCP. It was a very interesting initial post, and not too much after that. I hope I can get this back on track. :)
Let me try to help you here, as this interests me as well ;-)
Zach Wegner wrote:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:A train of thought I wanted to post in the DS thread, but which is probably worthy of a separate topic.

I see Ippolit in the same way as Fruit. It creates a new gold standard for engine development. If you write a new engine, you should study Ippolit inside out and consider it the reference of how to do things. The same thing happened with Fruit. The result was that any new engine was on average several hundred ELO stronger than was the case before Fruit.
I don't think Ippolit will ever match Fruit in terms of influence. Before Fruit, everyone was trying to make their evals as big as possible, without spending all that much time testing and tuning. The influence of Fruit was to thoroughly test everything (to be very bug-free), and keep the eval simple enough to be reasonably tunable. Tord should also get some credit for this philosophy.

Rybka also created a paradigm shift IMO in their testing strategy. The idea of running ultra-fast games in order to get as many as possible seems simple, but the common knowledge was that such games would be total nonsense and wouldn't help at all. I remember Vincent saying a few years back, "Do you think commercial programmers test at 1+0?" Nowadays, I don't know anybody that even tests that slow. :)

There isn't really anything paradigm-shifting in Ippolit IMO. It LMRs like crazy, but I think this is really just an extension of Fruit's PV-centric search strategy.

One other reason I don't think it will become a "gold standard" is that the code is really really ugly. Even the Robbolitos.
It also created the unfortunate situation that any new engine looks a lot like Fruit. There was a thinning of original development and ideas. (Not sure how to say that properly in English)

Maybe this is a good thing, and it's a kind of natural selection of ideas. But it's also a fact that any alternative approach will have a formidable baseline to meet before it can be considered. Without the Fruit or Ippolit sources out, there was more breeding ground for new ideas.

Computer go was going in the wrong direction for years, it took some very stubborn people to go the other direction for 10 years before they could meet the gold standard from the wrong direction and leapfrog over it. Now the opposite is happening: if you're not an UCT-like Monte Carlo with patterns playout based program, you're too weak to be relevant. But your approach might be the right one.

The chess paradigm has been to make an as fast as possible alpha-beta searcher with selectivity and heavy leaf pruning, and as much evaluation is practical. This has been remarkably stable over the last, say, 20 years. The extremities to which the approach has been pushed are amazing.
Well, I agree. I don't think that AB is necessarily the best way. I've actually been experimenting with a couple of non-AB ideas that show some promise. One very nice side effect is that parallelization is much easier. So get ready for another paradigm shift. :)
I think there was a paradigm shift when magic bitboards appeared. They are efficient enough that they make any other approach just look wrong. However board representation is not that defining for program strength. (This might be quite subjective)
I disagree there, just because I don't use magic bitboards. :) There were a ton of bitboard techniques that were invented in the same time period that could be considered paradigm-shifting when taken together. Anything but rotated really :)
I aggree (I think). Some time ago I started out switching to Kindergarten bitboards. I even made a board class and a simple perft and search function. Then I started thinking about attack information, and via a few iterations game back to my present mailbox-based attack table. But perhaps I did not do enough to "get" bitboards (seriously).
Zach Wegner wrote:
What are, in your opinion, the odds we will see another paradigm shift? What might be a trigger?

I have some hope big manycore cpus (much more than 100 cores) might cause it. Maybe someday someone makes a workable, strong GPU program. I believe that to accomplish that, a paradigm shift is needed.
Agreed.
Possible alternative approaches / wild ideas:
- Monte-Carlo simulations, has this been tried really seriously? The computer Go community has been very productive here
- An Ippolit killer, try to target the "holes" in its search. Probably not very feasible, but could at least lead to original play?
- Dive into the alternative instruction sets of PC's (SIMD), would at least make it more difficult for others to decompile and publish as source code.
- Theorem proving approach, like proving a position is draw, a bishop can not escape its prison.
- Attack plan: try to reach certain positions against certain costs, like a narrow opening-midgame-endgame book

Jan
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Maybe someone could find a way to use "fuzzy logic" to change the parameters as the game goes on. Maybe there is a way to determine whether to do a positional or a tactical search.

We all make up personalities, but maybe we need different weights depending on the pattern of the game (space, pieces on board, etc)

I have no idea on how to do that, but who knows?
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”