Bison 9.11 is released....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Bison 9.11 is released....

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi,

after Doch, Spark and the very strong "new" engines from the Toga / Fruit family (Protector 1.31b and Cyclone xTreme Wrath) the next one. After my first results is Bison a very strong engine ...

Thinking after the first 20 fast games that Bison have the level from Glaurung 2.2 / Loop 13.6 (1 core, 32bit). I am not sure (perhaps stronger or not), but indeed very strong engine and also a very powerfull positional playing style.

Good news !!

I tested a little bit your Zappa Mexiko II setting with 40 in 10. Only 50 games but I cann't see bigger elo jumps.

THANKS for Bison !!

Best
Frank
Hi Frank :D
Can I count this as an official return to the computer chess scene....if so then WELCOME BACK Frank :D

As for my Zappa settings,they were tested at longer time controls than 40 in 10,using my q8.ctg and q8.abk,using the 4 cores of my Quad system....so under different conditions you may not be able to get a bigger Elo jump....all in all,these settings are not for blitz time controls....
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Weal,

... return to computer chess ...

Yes, since around two month I have fun again and my systems runs.
I try out difference engines and start a new "private" rating list.

I am testing with 40/10 too (my favorite time control). Useing this time control on 3 systems (4 identical tournaments ... 2x Dual core, 1x Quad). On an other Dual Core system I am testing with game in 5 for find out the interesting engines for my 4 main tourneys.

With 40 in 10 I plays games with you Zappa setting. Sure, not enough games. At the moment I picked up 6 new engine in my main tourneys and have to wait for the next changes. Later I will give your setting a second look.

Best
Frank

Do you try Cyclone xTreme Wrath and Protector 1.31b. On my rating list Thinker 5.4d Inert is 40 ELO in front of Cyclone xTreme and around 60 ELO in front of Protector 1.31b only. I Like both engines ...

Frank. never a friend of Toga and the playing style of Fruit. But this two engines are interesting.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Weal,

... return to computer chess ...

Yes, since around two month I have fun again and my systems runs.
I try out difference engines and start a new "private" rating list.

I am testing with 40/10 too (my favorite time control). Useing this time control on 3 systems (4 identical tournaments ... 2x Dual core, 1x Quad). On an other Dual Core system I am testing with game in 5 for find out the interesting engines for my 4 main tourneys.

With 40 in 10 I plays games with you Zappa setting. Sure, not enough games. At the moment I picked up 6 new engine in my main tourneys and have to wait for the next changes. Later I will give your setting a second look.

Best
Frank

Do you try Cyclone xTreme Wrath and Protector 1.31b. On my rating list Thinker 5.4d Inert is 40 ELO in front of Cyclone xTreme and around 60 ELO in front of Protector 1.31b only. I Like both engines ...

Frank. never a friend of Toga and the playing style of Fruit. But this two engines are interesting.
Great news Frank and welcome back....I told you that there is no cure of the disease called computer chess,once you're infected,it's for life time :mrgreen:

Unfortunately Cyclone xTreme and Protector are still in my waiting list yet to be tested....I use my Quad machine at full potential and next week I am buying two Core 2 Duo notebooks to support the testing of engines at the lower sections of my rating list,that's under 2000 Elo....

BTW Frank,I strongly recommend the Grapefruit chess engine,extremely strong,the strongest Fruit/Toga derivative engine along with Toga 1.4.2JD in my rating list....
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Wael,

I have Grapefruit in my blitz list and tested the engine on my Notebook with 40 in 10 :-)

The Toga version JD is strong too and I think a little bit weaker as Grapefruit 1.0. I gave the JD version a short look on my Dual Core Notebook too.

Protector 1.31b is around 30-40 ELO stronger as Grapefruit 1.0 and Cyclone xTreme Wrath around 50-60 ELO stronger as Grapefruit 1.0.

Speaking from Cyclone xTreme Wrath (Storm Pack), 24.09.09.
You can find a Cyclone xTreme Version on the webpage too. This version is from 19.09.09.

So far I have from Cyclone xTreme 19.09.2009, 440 games (40 in 10, w32, 1Core, ponder = on), from Cyclone xTreme Wrath 200 games. After this games Cyclone xTreme Wrath is 50 ELO stronger as Cyclone xtreme version from 19.09.09. I think with more games perhaps 30 ELO, can't believe it ... 50 ELO more.

Perhaps this information is important.

After all:
Cyclone xTreme Wrath and Protector 1.31b are stronger as Zappa Mexiko II, Hiarcs 12.1, Onno 1.1.1, Sjeng WC-2008, Doch 09.980 (this engines are playing on the same level +-30 (w32, ponder = on, 1 Core and 40 in 10).

One of the most aggressive programs I ever saw (Wrath version). Bison played fantastic aggressive with pawns. What a genial aggressive positional style.

Perhaps my new favorite engine, but I have to see more games.

Ups:
In this moment Bison crashed on Shredder 12 GUI after 56 games (first crash). After 56 games the same blitz level (game in 5) as Onno 1.1.1 / Loop 13.6.

I have too look now :-(

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Wael,

little correction:
After around 200 games the Blitz Level from Bison 9.11 is the same as from Glaurung 2.2, a little bit better as Smarthink 1.20.

Unfortunately, Bison 9.11 crased in 200 games 3 times under Shredder 12 GUI. Such a problem I have with Ktulu 9 also. Ktulu 9 crashed from time to time in endgames.

With other words:
Bison 9.11 isn't in the group of Onno 1.1.1 but the new version is very strong. Bison like Doch 09.980 and dislike Loop 13.6 :-)

In my opinion:
Perhaps CEGT ELO = 2.750 - 2.800 !!

Best
Frank
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Wael,

little correction:
After around 200 games the Blitz Level from Bison 9.11 is the same as from Glaurung 2.2, a little bit better as Smarthink 1.20.

Unfortunately, Bison 9.11 crased in 200 games 3 times under Shredder 12 GUI. Such a problem I have with Ktulu 9 also. Ktulu 9 crashed from time to time in endgames.

With other words:
Bison 9.11 isn't in the group of Onno 1.1.1 but the new version is very strong. Bison like Doch 09.980 and dislike Loop 13.6 :-)

In my opinion:
Perhaps CEGT ELO = 2.750 - 2.800 !!

Best
Frank
Thanks Frank :D
I'll give Cyclone wrath a run in my rating list to see if it's realy that strong....
Cheers,
Dr.D
swami

Post by swami »

Bison 9.11
by Ivan Bonkin, Russia.

Strategic Test Suite Conditions:
Arena GUI
10 seconds per position
700 positions
Core2Quad 32 bits, Q6600, 2 GB RAM, 2.4GHZ
Engine uses 131 Mb Hash.
Subject-wise Scores:
STS (v1.0) - Undermining:
81/100, Grade: A+

STS (v2.0) - Open Files and Diagonals:
72/100, Grade: A-

STS (v3.0) - Knight Outposts/Centralization/Repositioning:
61/100, Grade: B

STS (v4.0) - Square Vacancy:
63/100, Grade: B

STS (v5.0) - Bishop vs Knight:
74/100, Grade: A-

STS (v6.0) - Re-Capturing:
64/100, Grade: B

STS (v7.0) - Offer of Simplification:
59/100, Grade: C+
Overall Performance:
Total Score: 474/700

Overall Average: 67.71 %

Grade: B+
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I am trying to locate Bison 9.11 64-bit build with no luck.

Seems all links has been removed.

Any idea?

If someone can send it to me please give me a pm and I will give you an email adress.

Best Regards,
Martin