Need a Mac

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Don

Need a Mac

Post by Don »

I would like to compile doch for Mac users. I don't want to distribute my source code but I want to make the binary freely available, I just don't have a Mac!

Would anyone be willing to give me an ssh login on their mac for the sole purpose of compiling doch? From time to time I would use this account for recompiling upgrades. It should be a 64 bit OS with a GCC development environment available.

All you would get for your efforts is a pat on the back, and of course yet another medium strength (probably no stronger than Crafty) UCI chess program to play with.

Or does anyone know if I can cross compile for a mac like I do for windows?
CRoberson

Re: Need a Mac

Post by CRoberson »

Cross compiling shouldn't be a problem, but cross linking would. Actual compilation should work, but then the libraries have to be linked in and
there is the problem.

You would need a virtual mac like environment to pull it off. If you could download th libs and all for the mac and point the compiler to them
for linking then it could work. Of course, you'd need a mac to test it our a mac emulator.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Ah, that does present you with another option. Cross compile and then send the objects to somebody with a mac to link them for you.
Roman Hartmann

Post by Roman Hartmann »

I have a mac and it is 64 bit but it's not that often connected to the internet as it is a MacBook (Notebook) and I'm usually carrying it with me.

But anyway, if you don't find someone else with a mac let me know if I can help you in any way.

best regards
Roman
Anton

Post by Anton »

Hi Don,

Do you have any plans to release a 32bit Linux version of your engine?
regards
Anton.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Don wrote: Would anyone be willing to give me an ssh login on their mac for the sole purpose of compiling doch?
:D :D

If you even don't trust to let someone to compile on a Mac for you I guess you are very very far away from the idea of releasing the sources one day in the future. :wink: