Collection of questions for a possible Don Daily interview

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kingliveson

Re: Collection of questions for a possible Don Daily intervi

Post by kingliveson »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi,

to late, interview sent.

But for sure ... the questions are included :-)

Best
Frank

ah, maybe next time. :)
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi,

OK, I will add your questions but after his one I am offline. The interview is sent. I added your questions and will send it again.

I wait three weeks for such question !!
Now all is ready the questions comes :-)

We are computer chess player ... I know, I know :-)

Best
Frank
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

8-)
kurt

Post by kurt »

Frank wrote: "We are computer chess players ... I know, I know"

Well then; why bother looking at opening books at all for such engines which are giving up a handicap of 5 ply against top competitors?

Would the use of high grade gasoline in a Ford Model-T make it more competitive in a stock car race or against other top model race cars currently competing against each other?

The new "DO CHess" does fit into the class of engines which should be entered in the antic engines displays.

At this time of engine development, programmers must have an objective to reach 20 ply depth for any typical open middle game positions in about 2 minutes or consider their efforts a complete waist of time unless it serves as a student learner lesson of antiquity.

Sorry Frank but I fancy observing fast engine competitions only and can not understand this hobby which keeps trying to reinvent the wheel over and over again.
Frank Quisinsky

Hello Kurt,

pardon, too late ...
Just at this moment I read your message.

The questions was sending Friday last week to Don.

Sorry.
But I hope you have fun with the interview.

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Hi,

most of strong chess players can't understand the interest on eng-eng matches by computer chess fans.

80% of all available chess books are about openings.

An eng-GM match is still running. With the first calculate move a grandmaster will be disappointed because the computer engine don't understand the opening. Not new for me and I saw it live at many times.

The big advantage the very strong grandmaster will have is the knowledge in openings, endgames and positional ideas.

Quit clear for me.

Best
Frank

Kurt, I think we should organize such an event like Deep Shredder vs. The World. I remember that you are one of the most active players. You gave great analyses. I believe the match runs for around 10 years.