Stockfish 1.6

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milos

Re: Stockfish 1.6

Post by Milos »

Graham Banks wrote:Anybody who downloaded a pirated copy of Rybka 3 (and I'm not suggesting that anybody in this thread did) should realise that fake copies were deliberately put on the net. This could well explain some of the poor results posted around the forums. If anybody with a fake Rybka 3 tries out the same positions with Rybka 2.3.2a, they'll see what I mean.
Graham, this time you really surpassed yourself. You think someone took real R3, reverse-engineered it just to make it weaker, and then distributed it massively on file-sharing servers, so that Robbo or Stockfish or you name it, can look good, and R3 looks bad??? But he made it in such a cleaver manner that this "weakened" version is only weaker against new engines???
My good, this transcends even Moon landing conspiracy theorists.
Ever heard of diff? Take two binaries and check the differences. In case you know someone with a "weakened" version of R3, please tell him to try diff with "real" version of R3. Results might surprise you :D.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Milos wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Anybody who downloaded a pirated copy of Rybka 3 (and I'm not suggesting that anybody in this thread did) should realise that fake copies were deliberately put on the net. This could well explain some of the poor results posted around the forums. If anybody with a fake Rybka 3 tries out the same positions with Rybka 2.3.2a, they'll see what I mean.
Graham, this time you really surpassed yourself. You think someone took real R3, reverse-engineered it just to make it weaker, and then distributed it massively on file-sharing servers, so that Robbo or Stockfish or you name it, can look good, and R3 looks bad??? But he made it in such a cleaver manner that this "weakened" version is only weaker against new engines???
Why would anyone need to go to all that trouble? How hard would it be to take Rybka 2.2, for example, and have it identify itself as Rybka 3?

In any case here is an update of the match between Rybka 3 (my copy given by Vas) and Robbo. Rybka uses two threads to Robbo's one.

Code: Select all

Robbog3x64-R3x64-silverfull  2009

1   Rybka 3                +15/=34/-8 56.14%   32.0/57
2   RobboLito 0.085g3 x64  +8/=34/-15 43.86%   25.0/57
Rybka's +45 Elo perf is in line with one extra core, so so far Robbo is performing exactly as Rybka 3 would with one core.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Personally I do not find Mr. Bank's speculation that remote. This day and age ever since the Robbo -Rybka war started everything is possible with all the nuts in the internet world. I could easily see someone selling dumb downed Rybka's if there was some profit in it in some way. Another note. OMgoodness!!! Every engine is now going to be debated as clone of this or that to the point of paralyzing insanity. I no doubt some forums will crash with such -clutter! I must say I personally skip such drivel once I get a whiff of such diatribes. Any truth will perhaps be proved in courts. If there is truth to be had. Until then I truly just don't care :!:
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Werewolf wrote:Are there any plans to release an opening book with the mighty Stockfish?
An integrated UCI opening book would really make a lovely release.
Well, I made this book for Stockfish 1.5.1, so it probably will be pretty good with Stockfish 1.6. It got 9th in SCCT VI, and that was with Rybka 3.
http://www.multiupload.com/7I61AUC8V6

Peter
Darkmoon

Post by Darkmoon »

Stockfish is a great chess engine with a terrific future!

Those that attempt to create mistrust and instill confusion are fearful of your success'

Your enemies are your teachers!

Merry Christmas, to you, and your team!
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

alpha123 wrote:
Werewolf wrote:Are there any plans to release an opening book with the mighty Stockfish?
An integrated UCI opening book would really make a lovely release.
Well, I made this book for Stockfish 1.5.1, so it probably will be pretty good with Stockfish 1.6. It got 9th in SCCT VI, and that was with Rybka 3.
http://www.multiupload.com/7I61AUC8V6

Peter

Thanks for the book, I will give it a try :-)

I can confirm that any book compatible with Glaurung 2 is also usable by all the Stockfish releases so far.

We don't have spent a lot of time in book making, mainly because in the public tests list tournments the same standard books are used for all the engines and is the GUI that takes care of this.
solis

Post by solis »

Dear Graham,
do you want me to send you licence number for Rybka engine I bought see that the engine is genuine.I don´t have the reasons to fake anything or to prove anything.The facts are that SF won in 20 games and some of you who are Vas´s fan have a dificuly time to accept that the Rybka is not number one any more.
Yesterday gt3.x64 version in 50 games on single core demolished Rybka 28 to 2 and 20 draws.Hard to accept that fact to.Same version in 30 games beat Rybka on 4 cores 7 to 1 and 22 draws.
Small number of games you will say but watching the games I saw impotent engine that in 5000 games would still have similar score
And now´comes Stockfish to give the final blow.
Dr.Deeb was right when he recently said that in a year nobody will talk about Rybka anymore except those who blindly follow Vas and try to disqualify anybody that sais something opposite.
You can scream as much as you want but the facts are that Rybka 3 is loosing and there is nothing that you can do.You can invent all kinds of exccuses but Rybka will continue to lose because better programs are comming.
Just do you own testing and see for yourself.The rest of us have already been convinced that the time of Rybka 3 is gone.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

solis wrote:Dear Graham,
do you want me to send you licence number for Rybka engine I bought see that the engine is genuine.I don´t have the reasons to fake anything or to prove anything.The facts are that SF won in 20 games and some of you who are Vas´s fan have a dificuly time to accept that the Rybka is not number one any more.
Yesterday gt3.x64 version in 50 games on single core demolished Rybka 28 to 2 and 20 draws.Hard to accept that fact to.Same version in 30 games beat Rybka on 4 cores 7 to 1 and 22 draws.
Small number of games you will say but watching the games I saw impotent engine that in 5000 games would still have similar score
And now´comes Stockfish to give the final blow.
Dr.Deeb was right when he recently said that in a year nobody will talk about Rybka anymore except those who blindly follow Vas and try to disqualify anybody that sais something opposite.
You can scream as much as you want but the facts are that Rybka 3 is loosing and there is nothing that you can do.You can invent all kinds of exccuses but Rybka will continue to lose because better programs are comming.
Just do you own testing and see for yourself.The rest of us have already been convinced that the time of Rybka 3 is gone.
Merry Christmas Miodrag. :)
The strength of engines isn't my main concern. I enjoy testing engines like Ifrit and Schola just as much as I enjoy testing engines like Rybka and Stockfish.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Milos

Post by Milos »

Albert Silver wrote:Rybka's +45 Elo perf is in line with one extra core, so so far Robbo is performing exactly as Rybka 3 would with one core.
And your error bar is, hm, only 60 Elo. Seams your conclusion is very reliable.
On the other hand just to inform you, because you kind of pretend not to know. Going from 1 core to 2 for Rybka 3 brings "only" 65-70 Elo.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Albert Silver wrote:Why would anyone need to go to all that trouble? How hard would it be to take Rybka 2.2, for example, and have it identify itself as Rybka 3?
You think ppl are that stupid that cannot see the difference between 7.5MB and 2.5MB file???
Or you think they cannot see the the difference in output?

Oh, I forgot your version must be really good since you got it personally from Vas.
Did you get the autograph too? :lol: