Why doesn't Bob join stockfish team?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

liuzy

Why doesn't Bob join stockfish team?

Post by liuzy »

Stockfish 1.6 is very strong. There is a very long road for Crafty to get there. If Bob joins stockfish team, cluster can be used to develop new stockfish. Rybka will be in danger in the near future. Crafty is so weak that it's meaningless to develop it with cluster. People who is wise will do the best shot with best gun.
Tord Romstad

Re: Why doesn't Bob join stockfish team?

Post by Tord Romstad »

liuzy wrote:Stockfish 1.6 is very strong. There is a very long road for Crafty to get there. If Bob joins stockfish team, cluster can be used to develop new stockfish. Rybka will be in danger in the near future. Crafty is so weak that it's meaningless to develop it with cluster. People who is wise will do the best shot with best gun.
Crafty is not weak, and is written with entirely different goals than Stockfish. They are both fairly successful at what they do, but with so different goals, it makes little sense to say that one is better than the other. You're comparing apples and orangutans.

Crafty is a complete, feature packed chess program written in a very low-level programming language, designed for play against strong human players on chess servers, and for running on powerful supercomputers. Stockfish isn't even a chess program. It is just a chess engine, an important, but relatively small and simple component of a chess program. It can't even play chess by itself, it can only search and evaluate chess positions. It's designed for playing against other chess engines, running on ordinary laptop and desktop computers.

Using CEGT or CCRL ratings to conclude that Stockfish is somehow "better" than Crafty makes as much sense as using 1500 meter times to conclude that elite middle distance runners are much better athletes than elite decathletes.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Tord Romstad wrote:You're comparing apples and orangutans.
I don't dare to ask who is the orangutan :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Crafty is a strong engine, rapidly improving and one of my favorites.

Bob is on the crafty team, and that's a very good team.

Not everyone should be a Stockfish or a Rybka developer.

I like variety. It's the spice of life.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

mcostalba wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:You're comparing apples and orangutans.
I don't dare to ask who is the orangutan :lol: :lol: :lol:
1.b4
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Dann Corbit wrote:Crafty is a strong engine, rapidly improving and one of my favorites.
It's one of my favorites, too. Bob is one of the true heros of computer chess, and my number one computer chess idol. Crafty was the first really strong open source engine in the Internet age, and is still going strong today.

Of course not. On the contrary, a wide variety of chess engines is the key to continued progress. The community would be a lot poorer without Crafty.
bob

Post by bob »

liuzy wrote:Stockfish 1.6 is very strong. There is a very long road for Crafty to get there. If Bob joins stockfish team, cluster can be used to develop new stockfish. Rybka will be in danger in the near future. Crafty is so weak that it's meaningless to develop it with cluster. People who is wise will do the best shot with best gun.
We are not _that_ far behind stockfish. And we have a group (small group) working on Crafty every day. It's improving, reasonably rapidly.. If "Crafty is so weak" feel free to find a human that can beat it with any regularity at all.
bob

Post by bob »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:Crafty is a strong engine, rapidly improving and one of my favorites.
It's one of my favorites, too. Bob is one of the true heros of computer chess, and my number one computer chess idol. Crafty was the first really strong open source engine in the Internet age, and is still going strong today.

Of course not. On the contrary, a wide variety of chess engines is the key to continued progress. The community would be a lot poorer without Crafty.
And without other open-source projects as well. This is how things used to progress in "the good old days" where information was exchanged openly and freely.
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

I have gone through Crafty source code forward and backward and learned many things. :D I like the way things are going now...you don't want there to be an incestuous situation in computer chess programming.
Nasir_Shaheen

Post by Nasir_Shaheen »

:evil: