Doch 1.3 by Don Dailey - Update Available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

F.Huber

Re: Doch 1.3 by Don Dailey - Update Available

Post by F.Huber »

Jim Ablett wrote: Doch 1.3 JA by Don Dailey
There's an annoying bug in this new version:
(I'm talking about the w32 version)

The new UCI option "personalityFile" uses <empty> as default, but when the GUI is sending this string to the engine it just crashes. The same is true if you remove this entry in the "personalityFile" option or if you enter the name of any non-existing file.
So in fact you're _forced_ to always use an _existing_ *.per file, and that was certainly not intended.
I would say that it's a bit sloppy programming if there's no simple 'fileexist'-check - not to speak of not even accepting the engine's default value <empty>. ;-)
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Any chance of some OSX support? If Linux is building, Darwin is probably just a make away.

Jeremy
DomLeste

Post by DomLeste »

Perhaps thats why swami got bad results with STS test? Is the engine's default value <empty> in the personality section using the default settings?
F.Huber wrote:

The new UCI option "personalityFile" uses <empty> as default, but when the GUI is sending this string to the engine it just crashes. The same is true if you remove this entry in the "personalityFile" option or if you enter the name of any non-existing file.
So in fact you're _forced_ to always use an _existing_ *.per file, and that was certainly not intended.
I would say that it's a bit sloppy programming if there's no simple 'fileexist'-check - not to speak of not even accepting the engine's default value <empty>. ;-)
Last edited by DomLeste on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Jim Ablett wrote: 32 bit windows compile is compressed with upx. This was necessary to prevent my win32 Intel compiles being flagged as a trojans
in some antivirus programs. (very clever aren't they!) Unpacking it may solve your problem
No, I've tried this to change this <empty> default option (as described in my last posting), but after unpacking your 32bit-EXE, the engine didn't start at all!
Error message: "The required .DLL file DOS MODE. $ was not found." ???
I've never seen such a crazy error message before, what special UPX version (or options) did you use for packing?
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

viriathus wrote:I have problems with Linux 32 bits:

Code: Select all

$ ./doch32-13-ja
> uci
> go infinite

doch32-13-ja&#58; gen.c&#58;3496&#58; make&#58; Assertion `ty != 7' failed.
Updated the download with fixed Linux 32 bit compile.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dnnnlyilyjz

Jim.
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

F.Huber wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote: 32 bit windows compile is compressed with upx. This was necessary to prevent my win32 Intel compiles being flagged as a trojans
in some antivirus programs. (very clever aren't they!) Unpacking it may solve your problem
No, I've tried this to change this <empty> default option (as described in my last posting), but after unpacking your 32bit-EXE, the engine didn't start at all!
Error message: "The required .DLL file DOS MODE. $ was not found." ???
I've never seen such a crazy error message before, what special UPX version (or options) did you use for packing?

Here is Don's uncompressed Mingw32 compile >

http://www.mediafire.com/?2zyqkwnjj2d

Jim.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

F.Huber wrote:

The 32-bit windows exe is working fine for me under two different GUIs, just leaving the personality file as it is.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
swami

Post by swami »

M ANSARI wrote:How do you go about testing the way you do? Could you give a step by step procedure. I would also like to test a few things.
Hi Majd, These are the 8 steps you need to follow to have the engine and EPD's successfully set up in Arena.

1. Download Arena 2.01 (www.playwitharena.com)
2. Click Arena.exe
3. Install engine (Engine -> Manage -> Details -> New -> UCI/Wb Engine)
4. Download Test Suites and store them in a folder. (Let's say: C:\STS)
5. Click - Engines -> Automatic Analysis -> List of EPD/PGN -> Load ALL EPD's from C:\STS
6. In "Automatic Analysis" window - go to the next tab "Engines", select .installed engine, and specify time per move.
7. In "Automatic Analysis" window - go to the previous tab "Source", Start the test.
8. Once the test is finished, In "Automatic Analysis" window - go further to the next tab "Output", and click "view comprehensive output in Report file" notepad.

Hope you find this useful. Good luck Testing!

Regards,
Swami
Last edited by swami on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Graham Banks wrote: The 32-bit windows exe is working fine for me under two different GUIs, just leaving the personality file as it is.
I guess you're using Arena, right?
Well, then try the following:
Open the UCI options window for Doch (it should contain <empty> in the field "personalityFile"), and click on <OK> in this options window.
Now Arena sends this string <empty> to Doch, and the engine crashes immediately!

PS. Of course I also didn't change anything in the personality file itself.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

F.Huber wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: The 32-bit windows exe is working fine for me under two different GUIs, just leaving the personality file as it is.
I guess you're using Arena, right?
Well, then try the following:
Open the UCI options window for Doch (it should contain <empty> in the field "personalityFile"), and click on <OK> in this options window.
Now Arena sends this string <empty> to Doch, and the engine crashes immediately!
I'm using the ChessGUI and Fritz GUIs. Must be an Arena issue.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com