Doch 1.3.1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Doch 1.3.1

Post by Graham Banks »

DomLeste wrote:After each test suite and loading eng-eng game in Fritz GUI

Doch 1.32 32bit JA caused an exception..I can't play games with this version or in Shredder GUI. It doesnt move

I have 3 personalities to test but i can only analyse but cant play games with them.
It works okay under Fritz 11 and ChessGUI here, Dom.
Mind you, I'm not trying to use personalities.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Graham Banks wrote:
DomLeste wrote:After each test suite and loading eng-eng game in Fritz GUI

Doch 1.32 32bit JA caused an exception..I can't play games with this version or in Shredder GUI. It doesnt move

I have 3 personalities to test but i can only analyse but cant play games with them.
It works okay under Fritz 11 and ChessGUI here, Dom.
Mind you, I'm not trying to use personalities.
I couldn't even analyze with the previous Doch version in the Shredder GUI. It caused the Shredder GUI to crash.

So I am staying away from Doch for awhile. Cool engine but I don't like crashes. Another reason why I prefer commercial software. USUALLY it is less buggy. Note I said usually! :)
DomLeste

Post by DomLeste »

Don's uncompressed Mingw32 compile http://www.mediafire.com/?2zyqkwnjj2d works on my PC. I can only test my 3 personalities if they are named sample.per or else it doesn't work. Oh well back to it :lol:
Last edited by DomLeste on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
Don

Post by Don »

DomLeste wrote:Don's uncompressed Mingw32 compile http://www.mediafire.com/?2zyqkwnjj2d works on my PC. I can only test my 3 personalities if they are named sample.per or else it doesn't work. Oh well back to it :lol:
That makes no sense to me. Are you saying that if you name it something else and try to load it then it doesn't work? What do you mean doesn't work, does it crash?
Don

Post by Don »

Don wrote:
DomLeste wrote:Don's uncompressed Mingw32 compile http://www.mediafire.com/?2zyqkwnjj2d works on my PC. I can only test my 3 personalities if they are named sample.per or else it doesn't work. Oh well back to it :lol:
That makes no sense to me. Are you saying that if you name it something else and try to load it then it doesn't work? What do you mean doesn't work, does it crash?
I would like to add that I think you are doing something wrong because the program does not know anything about sample.per, there is nothing in the binary that cares what name you give the weight file. If you send me a copy of the weight file that doesn't work I will try it out.
DomLeste

Post by DomLeste »

Doch 1.32 i can analyse test suites with it, with different personalities i have but i can't play games on my 32bit XP it just stalls.

Doch 1.3 that JA provided as alternative before 1.32 that works fine. (doch32-1.3-dd.exe) Issues loading personalities.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
DomLeste

Post by DomLeste »

No problem i email them to you their similiar just testing endgame suites so far...
Albert Einstein
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Don wrote:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:You can do "info string" but depending on the GUI it may not be prominently displayed.

FWIW I'm currently seeing about +30 ELO. The rate of improvement is impressive. I'm pretty happy at having reasonable Linux opponents to test against.
I wrote somewhere else that I'm getting 55 ELO on 1 minute + 1 second, not pondering based on a few thousands games but I'm a bit worried about how it will do at longer time controls. What time control are you testing with where you see the 30+?
It's up to +40 ELO now with several thousand games, also at a fast timecontrol. Looks very good, maybe adding more opponents will cause it to rise higher (first games were mostly against Stockfishes).
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

The 32 bit version 1.3.2 does not work in Vista-32, in Arena 201 or Fritz 10. Apparently, the engine doesn't start it's calculations (no Doch process visible in the Process Explorer). My cpu is Intel D945 (~dual P4).

Version 1.3 works bascially, with the exception that it crashed in Fritz after I removed the filename of a test.per from the engine properties. Can that input field be empty, or does it have to contain "<empty>" if I don't want to specify a custom .per file?

Also, the console mode seems not to work with Doch 1.3/1.3.2 in Vista 32 bit. The console window appears, but does not accept or display any keyboard input. I don't know if this is a missing feature or another bug.

Anyway, thanks to the programmers and compilers! I understand that there is big effort behind it, to make engines run so smoothly as they usually do. From my viewpoint, no need to hurry whatsoever. The price-performance ratio is unrivaled. :mrgreen:
Regards, Mike
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Re: Doch 1.3.1 - what happens

Post by Paloma »

Oh my god,
what happends last time in Engine-development?
First the issue with Stockfish 1.6, 1.6.1., 1.6 smooth scaling (one and two) 1.6.2,
now with Doch 1.3, 1.3.1, 1.3.2

The elos goes up, the quality goes down?

See also here http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 92&t=31512

But this is not clear, as without the file sample.per I get another output.