Typical white knight capture routine

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

benstoker

Typical white knight capture routine

Post by benstoker »

Question: does this appear to be an ordinary, common knight capture routine employed in any of the current top of the crop engines. Or is this particularly unique, and if so, how? Followup question later ...

Code: Select all

for (bb_t knights = Board.pieces [WN]; knights; knights &= knights-1)
{
    int knight_sq = bit_scan (knights);
    for (bb_t captures = knight_moves [knight_sq] & opponent_pieces; captures; captures &= captures - 1)
    {
        int capture_sq = bit_scan (captures);
        *moves ++ = move (knight_sq, capture_sq);
        *values ++ = Board.sq [capture_sq] * 256 + 192;
    }
}

bob

Re: Typical white knight capture routine

Post by bob »

benstoker wrote:Question: does this appear to be an ordinary, common knight capture routine employed in any of the current top of the crop engines. Or is this particularly unique, and if so, how? Followup question later ...

for (bb_t knights = Board.pieces [WN]; knights; knights &= knights-1)
{
    int knight_sq = bit_scan (knights);
    for (bb_t captures = knight_moves [knight_sq] & opponent_pieces; captures; captures &= captures - 1)
    {
        int capture_sq = bit_scan (captures);
        *moves ++ = move (knight_sq, capture_sq);
        *values ++ = Board.sq [capture_sq] * 256 + 192;
    }
}

Does this look somewhat familiar? :) This is from Crafty, movgen.c, GenerateCaptures()...

for (piecebd = Knights(wtm); piecebd; Clear(from, piecebd)) {
    from = Advanced(wtm, piecebd);
    moves = knight_attacks[from] & Occupied(btm);
    temp = from + &#40;knight << 12&#41;;
    Unpack&#40;wtm, move, moves, temp&#41;;
  &#125;
Unpack() simply takes a set of knight moves and unpacks them into the move list...

One note: I don't do the p & p - 1 trick because I don't necessarily want to take the lowest bit (knight) first. I try to generate moves in the same order for both sides, which could be either the most advanced knight first, or least advanced. But not most advanced for one side and least advanced for the other.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

The only interesting (but I don't like) thing is that the scores are updated during move generation (*values = ....) according to a MVV/LVA scheme.
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

It is common except that it scored it immediately while other programs scored it later.

Here's from my engine:

pc_bits = pos->knights & allies;
    while &#40;pc_bits&#41; &#123;
        from = popFirstBit&#40;&pc_bits&#41;;
        mv_bits = KnightMoves&#91;from&#93; & mask;
        while &#40;mv_bits&#41; &#123;
            to = popFirstBit&#40;&mv_bits&#41;;
            sort->list&#91;sort->size++&#93;.m = GenKnightMove&#40;from, to, getPiece&#40;pos, to&#41;);
        &#125;
    &#125;
Mincho Georgiev

Post by Mincho Georgiev »

It is a matter of taste. There is nothing wrong to assign static scoring during generate, as long as it is superseded properly by the dynamic factors later. I like that.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

xcomponent wrote:It is a matter of taste. There is nothing wrong to assign static scoring during generate, as long as it is superseded properly by the dynamic factors later. I like that.
You have an additional probe to board table:

*values ++ = Board.sq &#91;capture_sq&#93; * 256 + 192; 
So it is a bit slower, of course you avoid another scoring loop so at the end can be a bit faster in this way, but just a bit IMHO and I prefer a layered design where you have the following independent and well defined modules:

- moves generation &#40;movegen.cpp&#41;
- moves scoring &#40;movepick.cpp&#41;
- moves sorting &#40;movepick.cpp&#41;
- next move picking logic &#40;movepick.cpp&#41;
- search loop  &#40;search.cpp&#41;
This well modularized and disjoint set of functions is for me more important then a bit of (theoretical) extra speed. I have already done the mistake with unified middlegame and endgame scores (two values in one integer) where I spent almost one week of development and testing and we had very subtle bugs even after release (take a look at value.h) just for a very minimal speed increase.

The point is that because you can score in that way only captures you end up scoring the captures in one file and in one way and scoring non-captures in another file: I want all the scoring stuff to be easily accessible and clear to read and not spread across many files.
Mincho Georgiev

Post by Mincho Georgiev »

As i said, it is a matter of preference.
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

mcostalba wrote: I have already done the mistake with unified middlegame and endgame scores (two values in one integer) where I spent almost one week of development and testing and we had very subtle bugs even after release (take a look at value.h) just for a very minimal speed increase.
This is a useful comment. I have been seriously considering adding this myself, but you have convinced me its not worth the bother and potential bugs. My last engine was darn fast, but bug ridden. The bugs are not worth it :oops:.

-Sam
Don

Post by Don »

BubbaTough wrote:
mcostalba wrote: I have already done the mistake with unified middlegame and endgame scores (two values in one integer) where I spent almost one week of development and testing and we had very subtle bugs even after release (take a look at value.h) just for a very minimal speed increase.
This is a useful comment. I have been seriously considering adding this myself, but you have convinced me its not worth the bother and potential bugs. My last engine was darn fast, but bug ridden. The bugs are not worth it :oops:.

-Sam
I do the unified scores and it took a good day of work getting it all in place and it turned out to be less than a 1 percent speedup. However, in my opinion I get cleaner code out of it and when I add things now it's less likely to have bugs. I guess the devil is in the details.
bob

Post by bob »

xcomponent wrote:It is a matter of taste. There is nothing wrong to assign static scoring during generate, as long as it is superseded properly by the dynamic factors later. I like that.
Efficiency. Never do now what you can postpone until later, as with alpha/beta, later may never come.

But it is an OK thing to do, just not optimal.