Stockfish 1.6.3 JA update available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: Stockfish 1.6.3 JA update available

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Martin T wrote:Marco/Jim,

There is something strange going on when I load the engine in Arena with 1GB hash.

If I use 4 threads, then the hash is correctly set at 1GB. If I use 2 threads, no extra hash is set, same with 1 thread.

I loaded 1.6.2 JA and tried the same, this works like it should with 1GB hash for both 1, 2 and 4 threads.

Any idea?

Martin, I probably misunderstand but how exactly do you mean "extra hash"? Is there some default value Stockfish resorts to? The 1 gigabyte should be shared by all the threads so what does extra hash mean in this context?

Regards, Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Eelco de Groot wrote:

There is something strange going on when I load the engine in Arena with 1GB hash.

If I use 4 threads, then the hash is correctly set at 1GB. If I use 2 threads, no extra hash is set, same with 1 thread.

I loaded 1.6.2 JA and tried the same, this works like it should with 1GB hash for both 1, 2 and 4 threads.

Any idea?

Martin, I probably misunderstand but how exactly do you mean "extra hash"? Is there some default value Stockfish resorts to? The 1 gigabyte should be shared by all the threads so what does extra hash mean in this context?

Regards, Eelco
I believe the default value is 32M, which is set in ucioptions.cpp. I'm not understanding Martin's post.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

zullil wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:

Any idea?

Regards, Eelco
I believe the default value is 32M, which is set in ucioptions.cpp. I'm not understanding Martin's post.
Yes, that is correct.

When I specify 1GB hash I get this in task manager:

1.6.3 JA
1 thread ~40 MB
2 threads ~40 MB
4 thread ~1 GB

With 1.6.2 JA it's this:
1 thread ~ 1 GB
2 threads ~ 1 GB
4 threads ~ 1 GB

Any clearer? :)

Doesn't make any sense to me why I can't run 1 or 2 threads with anything else than the default 32MB hash.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Code: Select all

o["Hash"] = Option(32, 4, 4096);
Yes, 32 Mb is the default value see the Stockfish 1.5 code above, 4 minimum and 4096 maximum settings in the parameter window but the maximum is now set higher, to 8192 I presume in Stockfish 1.6.3. It could be a problem in Arena?

Regards Eelco
-- Brian W. Kernighan
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Martin T wrote:
zullil wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:

Any idea?

Regards, Eelco
Yes, that is correct.

1.6.3 JA
1 thread ~40 MB
2 threads ~40 MB
4 thread ~1 GB

With 1.6.2 JA it's this:
1 thread ~ 1 GB
2 threads ~ 1 GB
4 threads ~ 1 GB

Doesn't make any sense to me why I can't run 1 or 2 threads with anything else than the default 32MB hash.
Yes, very clear now. :D Thanks.

This problem does not exist for me with 1.6.3. I just tested various settings for Threads and Hash, and amount of memory requested was reserved no matter how many threads I used.

I'm running my own build of Stockfish on a Mac, and I'm testing from the command line. So this might be a Windows or Linux issue, a problem with the compile, or a problem with Arena (though not likely Arena if 1.6.2 works correctly under Arena).
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Martin T wrote:
zullil wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:

Any idea?

Regards, Eelco
Yes, that is correct.

1.6.3 JA
1 thread ~40 MB
2 threads ~40 MB
4 thread ~1 GB

With 1.6.2 JA it's this:
1 thread ~ 1 GB
2 threads ~ 1 GB
4 threads ~ 1 GB

Very strange, thanks for the explanation Martin. I have no idea what could be the problem :? I don't have Arena installed. In case you have 64 bits you could try Dann's 1.6.3(dc)s compile.

Regards Eelco
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Martin Thoresen

Eelco de Groot wrote: Very strange, thanks for the explanation Martin. I have no idea what could be the problem :? I don't have Arena installed. In case you have 64 bits you could try Dann's 1.6.3(dc)s compile.

Regards Eelco
Yes, I'm on a 64-bit system.

I just installed the 1.6.3 DC compile and here are the results:

1 thread ~ 40 MB
2 threads ~ 40 MB
4 threads ~ 40 MB

Unable to set more hash than default no matter how many thread!

Really, really strange.

Arena version 2.01
Martin Thoresen

Well, I just tried the 1.6.3 JA build again and now it works fine, all of a sudden.

Really confusing.

I'll get back to this if it's seems it's a real issue. For now, let's just say it was a fluke.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

beachknight wrote:
Hugo wrote:Hello

I read in the readme file that hashtables over 2GB( upto 8GB) should work now . But I cant get more than 2 GB :(
Sytem: i7 950, os Win7 ultimate 64bit, 6GB RAM.

Any suggestions wellcome.

Clemens
Hi Clemens,

Could you state the knps figures of SF163x64 for 2, 4, 6, 8 cores?
Hi Harun

sorry, I cant. Think it makes no sense, because this machine is overclocked(4,232MHz) and has only 4 cores, HT is off and btw. HT threads cannot be counted as cores ;-). Search speed is arround 8500Kns.

Regards, Clemens
beachknight

Post by beachknight »

Hugo wrote:
beachknight wrote:
Hugo wrote:Hello

I read in the readme file that hashtables over 2GB( upto 8GB) should work now . But I cant get more than 2 GB :(
Sytem: i7 950, os Win7 ultimate 64bit, 6GB RAM.

Any suggestions wellcome.

Clemens
Hi Clemens,

Could you state the knps figures of SF163x64 for 2, 4, 6, 8 cores?
Hi Harun

sorry, I cant. Think it makes no sense, because this machine is overclocked(4,232MHz) and has only 4 cores, HT is off and btw. HT threads cannot be counted as cores ;-). Search speed is arround 8500Kns.

Regards, Clemens
No problem, Clemens. This is not the end of the world. 8500 kNpS on
4 threads would definitely make 10625 kNpS on 8 threads.

Thanks.
hi, merhaba, hallo HT