iPhone beta testers wanted

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tord Romstad

iPhone beta testers wanted

Post by Tord Romstad »

Hi all,

It's taken a long time, but Glaurung 2 for the iPhone (which uses Stockfish 1.6 as the internal chess engine) is finally getting close to finished. Because I've long since lost contact with my old beta testing team, I'm looking for new or returning testers.

Because I don't want binaries, screen shots or information about new features to get leaked before the program is released, I'm looking for a small number of people who I feel sure I can trust. I probably won't accept everyone who asks to test. But if I do decline your request to become a tester, please don't take this to mean that I don't trust you: It could just as well mean that I have already found a sufficient number of testers.

Those of you who are interested in testing, please drop me an e-mail (tord at glaurungchess com) or a personal message. Make sure you mention what model of iPhone/iPod Touch you own, and whether you are a Windows or Mac OS X user.
M ANSARI

Re: iPhone beta testers wanted

Post by M ANSARI »

Sure Tord let me know what you need.
supersteve3d

Post by supersteve3d »

hi Tord,

I think I helped test Glaurung and Abaia ( Cydia - prior to App Store approval).

I'd be happy to help you test the Stockfish engine.

Cheers,
Steve.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Hey Tord,

I just sent you a pm in case you're interested
towforce

Post by towforce »

Slightly off topic, but I would think that a good option would be to write the program in Java - then maximising the potential of any given hardware or OS becomes the job of the JVM (Java Virtual Machine), and not the chess programmer?
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

towforce wrote:Slightly off topic, but I would think that a good option would be to write the program in Java - then maximising the potential of any given hardware or OS becomes the job of the JVM (Java Virtual Machine), and not the chess programmer?
But then it won't run on the iPhone, at least not for the foreseeable future. Virtual machines are explicitly prohibited by the SDK license (there have been some exceptions mde for emulators and the Frotz VM, but I am pretty sure that the clause was made to avoid Java support).

Jeremy
towforce

Post by towforce »

sockmonkey wrote:
towforce wrote:Slightly off topic, but I would think that a good option would be to write the program in Java - then maximising the potential of any given hardware or OS becomes the job of the JVM (Java Virtual Machine), and not the chess programmer?
But then it won't run on the iPhone, at least not for the foreseeable future. Virtual machines are explicitly prohibited by the SDK license (there have been some exceptions mde for emulators and the Frotz VM, but I am pretty sure that the clause was made to avoid Java support).
Thanks - wasn't aware of that. IMO, customers would be better off buying phones that support Java applications.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Actually not having Java support in the Iphone is really a PIA. I use it to check up on my stock portfolio locally, where they use a Java applet to show the live stock prices with supply demand of each stock. I think it is not a technical issue but rather something that has to do with Apple wanting to compete with Java.
maxchgr

Post by maxchgr »

What about for Blackberry. Would it run? (If not, are there any good chess programs for the Blackberry?) :)
I like Stockfish, this is cool news.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Tord Romstad wrote:Hi all,

It's taken a long time, but Glaurung 2 for the iPhone (which uses Stockfish 1.6 as the internal chess engine) is finally getting close to finished.
Hi Tord,

Sorry to ask you this newbie sounding question:

I use Glaurung on my iPod is it not utilizing the "Glaurung engine"??

Or is Glaurung just the GUI and you place other programmers engines in Glaurung.

Oh and thank you for your hard work and offering your product as a free download. I still have not beaten it, but I do wish you had made the opening book significantly larger as it plays the same moves over and over.

Thank you,

Sean