Ponder

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

outAtime

Re: Ponder

Post by outAtime »

Yeah, I guess I'll need to figure out: Post_Stat_Thinking() to get it to have any visible output to see if this works or not. Something simpler, or a simplified version of this would be great. Maybe I could use somthing other that post_stat_thinking. Im surprised this compiled without more errors, somthing cant be right, but I dont have a way to test it yet.
outAtime
outAtime

Post by outAtime »

And I'll also have to tell it to think() when its time to ponder...hehe, that will prolly help. Yeah, its not the simplest solution I was hoping for, but Im learning somthing at least.
outAtime
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Sven Schüle wrote: 5) It combines several purposes in one function, while I think it would be better to separate the pure detection of input being available from processing that input.
6) As an implication of 5), it works with engines based on the WB protocol only.
7) It depends on several global variables and constants (read_fds, timeout, xb_mode, is_pondering, Variant, Bughouse, Crazyhouse) and also calls at least one engine-specific function (post_stat_thinking()) so it is not easy to port it to a different engine.

Sven
If we're nitpicking: 6 doesn't follow from 5 but 7 does.

The code in Sjeng-Free is not a good example of how to implement pondering. That is clear.

I also don't think there is a "very easy" way to implement pondering on a move in WinBoard (rather than just thinking on the opponents time).
outAtime

Post by outAtime »

Well, I just don't know how else to go about it really. Im leaving out the edit mode stuff. Will I need (is_analyzing) for this I wonder?
outAtime
outAtime

Post by outAtime »

Code: Select all

/* get our input: */
    if (!xb_mode) {
      if (show_board && strcmp (input, "help")) {
	printf ("\n");
	display_board (stdout, 1-comp_color);
      }
      printf (" > ");
      rinput (input, STR_BUFF, stdin);
    }
    else {
      /* start pondering */

if ((allow_pondering && !force_mode) || is_analyzing ))
	{
	  is_pondering = TRUE;

think();

is_pondering = FALSE;
	}

rinput (input, STR_BUFF, stdin);
    }

Just wondered if I need is_analyzing here...or maybe there is a substitute, Im just not sure how it operates here. 
outAtime
outAtime

Post by outAtime »

hmm..ok, looks like that is another feature, maybe I can add later or somthing. Dosen't look like I will need to use it for this (thankfully)
outAtime
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:I also don't think there is a "very easy" way to implement pondering on a move in WinBoard (rather than just thinking on the opponents time).
Why would that be more difficult? Just make the move before you start pondering, and unmake it after you are done:

// WB command loop:
while(1) {
  if(stm == computer) {
    Search();
    abort = 0;
    bestMove = PV[0];
    ponderMove = PV[1];
    MakeMove(bestMove);
    PrintMove(bestMove);
  }
  if(ponderOn) {
    if(ponderMove) {
      MakeMove(ponderMove);
      Search();
      UnMake();
    } else Search();
  }
  abort = 0;
  ReadLine(inbuf);
  // execute command
}
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

hgm wrote:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:I also don't think there is a "very easy" way to implement pondering on a move in WinBoard (rather than just thinking on the opponents time).
Why would that be more difficult? Just make the move before you start pondering, and unmake it after you are done:
Because your action will be different depending on the move you receive as input.

If you receive the move you made at the root, you want to start your clock and continue the search.
If you receive a different move, you want to stop ASAP.
Last edited by Gian-Carlo Pascutto on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
outAtime

Post by outAtime »

Im just trying to figure out how to make it output, I think Ive covered the rest of the bases, just dont know how I can use post_stat_thinking();

else if (c == '.')     /* Stat request */
	    {
	      getc(stdin);
	      post_stat_thinking();
	      return 0;
	    }

ungetc(c, stdin);

if (!is_pondering && (Variant == Bughouse || Variant == Crazyhouse)) return 0; 

return 1;
maybe I can use something else, whatever outputs the lines while the engine has the move.
outAtime
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:If you receive the move you made at the root, you want to start your clock and continue the search.

If you receive a different move, you want to stop ASAP.
Well, that depends on your time management strategy. On a hit you could subtract the opponent time from your target time, on a miss you wouldn't. (When not pondering on a move, I subtract 30% of the ponder time.) That does not seem such a big difference.

// WB command loop:
while(1) {
  if(stm == computer) {
    Search(TARGET_TIME - ponderTime);
    abort = 0;
    bestMove = PV[0];
    ponderMove = PV[1];
    MakeMove(bestMove);
    PrintMove(bestMove);
  }
  ponderTime = 0;