A pair of test files just for you

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MattieShoes

Re: And if you order in the next thirty minutes...

Post by MattieShoes »

It'd be interesting to try and find something with more than 62 best moves now for m3... :-)
sje

Post by sje »

Here's a heavily cooked mate-in-four:

[D] 8/3r2b1/2b5/2n5/6K1/k4n2/2r5/8 b - - 55 138 bm Ba1 Ba8 Bb2 Bb7 Bc3 Bd4 Bd5 Be4 Be5 Bf6 Bf8 Bh6 Bh8 Ka2 Ka4 Kb2 Kb3 Kb4 Nb3 Nd3 Nd4 Ne1 Ne5+ Ne6 Ng1 Nh2+ Nh4 Ra2 Ra7 Rb2 Rb7 Rc4+ Rc7 Rcd2 Rd1 Rd3 Rd4+ Rd5 Rd6 Rd8 Rdd2 Re2 Re7 Rf7 Rg2+ Rh2; dm 4; id matein4.58885;
sje

Re: BAM eek BAM eek BAM eek BOOM -- 10^5 mate in four proble

Post by sje »

The matein4.epd file is now available in the EPD directory. Exhaustive solutions were found at the rate of about four problems per second.
abulmo

Post by abulmo »

sje wrote: I have moved the FEN files into their own directory, and I have provided the corresponding EPD files also in their own directory. Note that all the EPD files use a full six field FEN position specification, not the old first four fields only layout. Some older programs can read the updated format directly, but other programs may need a slight modification.
I got a problem with the usage of the FEN specification in your matein2.epd file (I have not checked the other files yet). My program does not find all mates, but finds a few draws because of a high halfmove clock (>=97).
For example this problem contains a halfmove clock (field #5) of 100:

Code: Select all

8/6R1/8/8/2K1B3/8/8/k7 w - - 100 294 bm Kc3; dm 2; id matein2.67153;
According to the fifty move rule, such a position is a draw, not a mate in 2. Of course, I can make my program ignoring the field #5 (or even the fifty move rule), but I do not see the purpose of using the FEN notation instead of the classical EPD notation (without halfmove clock & fullmove count) then.
Richard
jshriver

Re: A pair of test files just for you

Post by jshriver »

For some reason I can not download the files, I can browse the javascript menu system and select, even bulk download but as soon as it says "Download Now" it does nothing. Even tried completely disabling No-Script.

Will try when I get home from my other machine, and if need be turn on a windows VM to use IE.

-Josh
frankp

Post by frankp »

jshriver wrote:For some reason I can not download the files, I can browse the javascript menu system and select, even bulk download but as soon as it says "Download Now" it does nothing. Even tried completely disabling No-Script.

Will try when I get home from my other machine, and if need be turn on a windows VM to use IE.

-Josh
Ditto - on a linux box.
Are these files available elsewhere?
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Was able to download them using Opera for Linux (shrug) so must be a firefox thing under linux.

Regardless of the hiccup wonderful dataset ty for sharing.
-Josh