Posts disapearing about Junior 11.1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Marc MP

Posts disapearing about Junior 11.1

Post by Marc MP »

I would like to know why some posts have disappeared about the new Junior (unless relocated, and I missed where).

A poster said (something like): Why buy Junior 11.1 when some free engines are much better by rating (Stockfish, I think).

Terry M. replied (something like): where this board have gone to have such comments??

I didn't see see what was obviously wrong about this discussion (maybe the tone of it, but it is really that??), so that it was deleted.

It seems to me like an unfair and arbitrary deletion of threads, I could push the case (unfairly I must say) to say to that is a kind a commercial exhortation about buying Junior 11.1.

I wanted to post some test positions, where Junior 2010 UCI did much better than most other better rated free engines.

Why was I deprived from this opportunity?

Or did I missed something?
mariaclara

Re: Posts disapearing about Junior 11.1

Post by mariaclara »

did you get a warning from chris conkie?

I do hope he explained why some posts will be deleted.
Marc MP wrote:I would like to know why some posts have disappeared about the new Junior (unless relocated, and I missed where).

A poster said (something like): Why buy Junior 11.1 when some free engines are much better by rating (Stockfish, I think).

Terry M. replied (something like): where this board have gone to have such comments??

I didn't see see what was obviously wrong about this discussion (maybe the tone of it, but it is really that??), so that it was deleted.

It seems to me like an unfair and arbitrary deletion of threads, I could push the case (unfairly I must say) to say to that is a kind a commercial exhortation about buying Junior 11.1.

I wanted to post some test positions, where Junior 2010 UCI did much better than most other better rated free engines.

Or did I missed something?

................. Mu Shin ..........................
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Marc MP wrote: I wanted to post some test positions, where Junior 2010 UCI did much better than most other better rated free engines.

Nobody is stopping you. There are two Junior 11.1 threads as a result of splitting the original thread. It was explained in there what happened.
You could always PM a moderator if you're unsure rather than try to kick up a storm in here.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Marc MP

Post by Marc MP »

Graham Banks wrote:
Marc MP wrote: I wanted to post some test positions, where Junior 2010 UCI did much better than most other better rated free engines.

Nobody is stopping you. There are two Junior 11.1 threads as a result of splitting the original thread. It was explained in there what happened.
You could always PM a moderator if you're unsure rather than try to kick up a storm in here.

Cheers,
Graham.
I'm wondering why the threads were deleted, I thought I would get an answer about it more than some insinuations about why I would try to kick up a storm here. Why would I?

A nice endgame knowledge bu Junior 2010 was posted here: http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33135

There are more such nice positions (or games) by Junior 2010 in the archives of test positions from this board.

I'm sorry for the confusion I engineered. However I would like to know why you think I'm trying to kick up a storm. Just saying why the posts were removed doesn't seems simpler to you?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Marc MP wrote: I'm sorry for the confusion I engineered. However I would like to know why you think I'm trying to kick up a storm. Just saying why the posts were removed doesn't seems simpler to you?
When a post is removed, the poster is informed by PM. It is not usually announced publicly, unless a long branch of posts is affected.
Anyway, the Help and Suggestions is the place to ask these sorts of questions.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Marc MP

Post by Marc MP »

Graham Banks wrote:
Marc MP wrote: I'm sorry for the confusion I engineered. However I would like to know why you think I'm trying to kick up a storm. Just saying why the posts were removed doesn't seems simpler to you?
When a post is removed, the poster is informed by PM. It is not usually announced publicly, unless a long branch of posts is affected.
Anyway, the Help and Suggestions is the place to ask these sorts of questions.

Cheers,
Graham.
OK, fair, but my first impression is that it was unnecessary, but I won't pursue this further.

I thought it was a good opportunity to show some people why many (if not all engines) are interesting despite the fact they don't top the rating list.

I saw it as a good opportunity to "explain" it. Sometimes it is better to explain people why they are wrong (even if they are using bad tone to discuss).

Thank you for your answer anyway,
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Marc MP wrote: Thank you for your answer anyway,
Hi Marc,

no problem. Sorry that I was a little harsh. There's been a lot of cleaning up to do today.
Looking forward to some posts from you showing some positions and games. :)

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com