Question on using the .ctg books

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Amstaff

Question on using the .ctg books

Post by Amstaff »

Hello, When using a .ctg book in the Fritz interface, I assume I have to uncheck the box for the own engine book ".bin" in the engine parameters, correct? For example, to use the addition book for Deep Junior 11.1, that came separately with it?
Thanks,
Gerald
Werewolf

Re: Question on using the .ctg books

Post by Werewolf »

I always uncheck that box. I think the chessbase book would override it but not sure about that.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

I think that Fritz will use the .ctg book if it is loaded and the engine does not have a choice but follow what the Fritz GUI does while in book, any position where the book has no moves will be given to the engine.Then the engine should look in its .bin book, if it is enabled and if it finds a move there it will play that. (I assume you mean .bin is the engine book for example for Stockfish and you ask whether it should be enabled in the Stockfish engine parameters.) This is what I would expect the UCI protocol to do. But to be honest without actually testing this you can't be sure...

Regards, Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

The best and only way to make the engine use its own opening book is to create an empty .ctg opening book called empty.ctg for example and specify it for the engine to use it....then the engine will use it's own opening book....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….