Did anyone find the N vs. NN paper?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

wgarvin

Did anyone find the N vs. NN paper?

Post by wgarvin »

In another thread,
Ed Trice wrote:Someone published a paper on a generalized heuristic for determining all wins involving NN vs. N, without having to use the tablebases at all. The algorithm was tested against the tablebase, and it was found to be 100% correct.

I forget who wrote the paper, but I think it was published between 2001 and 2004. You might want to look through this link:

http://ticc.uvt.nl/icga/journal/toc.php

...and download the PDF on that page which is a complete table of contents sorted by author. Look for "NN vs. N" in the paper titles and you may find it.

There may be some other ideas in this list you might want to explore.
I was not able to find the paper that Ed referred to here. Does anyone know where it can be found?

Thanks.
Gerd Isenberg

Re: Did anyone find the N vs. NN paper?

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

wgarvin wrote:In another thread,
Ed Trice wrote:Someone published a paper on a generalized heuristic for determining all wins involving NN vs. N, without having to use the tablebases at all. The algorithm was tested against the tablebase, and it was found to be 100% correct.

I forget who wrote the paper, but I think it was published between 2001 and 2004. You might want to look through this link:

...and download the PDF on that page which is a complete table of contents sorted by author. Look for "NN vs. N" in the paper titles and you may find it.

I was not able to find the paper that Ed referred to here. Does anyone know where it can be found?

Thanks.
Harry Nefkens' paper is from 1991, as far as I know not available online:

Nefkens, H.J.J. (1991). How to Win with a Knight Ahead. ICCA Journal, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 201-203
wgarvin

Post by wgarvin »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:
wgarvin wrote:In another thread,

Thanks.
Harry Nefkens' paper is from 1991, as far as I know not available online:

Nefkens, H.J.J. (1991). How to Win with a Knight Ahead. ICCA Journal, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 201-203
Ah, too bad its not available online. Thanks Gerd!
LiquidNitrogenOverclocker

Post by LiquidNitrogenOverclocker »

wgarvin wrote:

Thanks.
Sorry about that, I could have sworn I had a copy of it. My memory is somehow recalling "E. A. Heinz" as the author, but an exhaustive search turned up empty. I will poke around my ICGA journals some more, I have the actual hard copy here somewhere.
LiquidNitrogenOverclocker

Post by LiquidNitrogenOverclocker »

Papers I wrote were published in the ICGA Journal 3 times. I found 2 of them. The one I can't find right now was the paper I wrote about the 2004 Gothic Chess Computer World Championship.

That was Vol. 27 No. 4 from December 2004.

My guess would be the NN vs. N paper might have been in that issue (since I know I read it somewhere!) and I know for a fact this paper is not in the 2 of the journals I do have handy.