Stockfish 1.7.1 losing on time ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jim Walker

Stockfish 1.7.1 losing on time ?

Post by Jim Walker »

I have been playing Stockfish vs several different engines with no problem untill now. When I play Stockfish vs Rybka 2.3.2a mp x64 Stockfish loses over half of the games on time. I have not tried any other Rybka 2 engines but I have no problem with it playing Rybka 3. Any one else have this problem?
I'm running a laptop with quad core i7 with windows 7 and old Junior 9 GUI.
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Re: Stockfish 1.7.1 losing on time ?

Post by Stephen Ham »

Jim Walker wrote:I have been playing Stockfish vs several different engines with no problem untill now. When I play Stockfish vs Rybka 2.3.2a mp x64 Stockfish loses over half of the games on time. I have not tried any other Rybka 2 engines but I have no problem with it playing Rybka 3. Any one else have this problem?
I'm running a laptop with quad core i7 with windows 7 and old Junior 9 GUI.
Hello James,

In my last tournament with a game/60' time control, Stockfish 1.7.1 had a winning position with plenty of time versus Rybka 3, but lost on time by sitting for 20'. This was played on a 64-bit quad.

All the best,
Steve
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

I have no problems with Rybka 3 so far or any other engines vs Stockfish. I have found what is happening but don't know why. When playing a match between Stockfish / Rybka 232mp x64 ponder is off of course. When Stockfish is thinking I have noticed with the task manager that Rybka sometimes has 1 or even 2 of the 8 threads still active. :roll: This has to be what is causing the problem.
Jim
LJC

Post by LJC »

Stockfish, Firebird, these engines are buggy as hell. They keep crashing on me. What a shame too because they are strong engines but I can't keep connecitng & reconnecting to ICC because they are still screwed up
Milos

Post by Milos »

LJC wrote:Stockfish, Firebird, these engines are buggy as hell. They keep crashing on me. What a shame too because they are strong engines but I can't keep connecitng & reconnecting to ICC because they are still screwed up
Maybe it's time for you to start using Rybka. It's a perfect bugfree engine :P.
Also number one in the world! :lol:
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Sorry but I respectfully disagree.

Stockfish is a solid engine, I have not had 1 single problem running my CPU-
intensive 4-thread gauntlet
and the game count is well over 100 games now.

Either it's your hardware or something else that makes the engine pose problems for you.

Stockfish is an open-source, very powerful free engine which is based on
the original Glaurung from the same author. Engines like Firebird etc. are
of dubious origin and should not be mentioned in the same context.

If you are certain there is something wrong with the code in Stockfish that
makes it crash or become unresponsive, I suggest you go download the
source and look it over your self.

You can make suggestions to the authors (Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba
or Joona Kiiski) and they will surely inspect whatever findings you have.

Best Regards,
Martin
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Martin Thoresen wrote:If you are certain there is something wrong with the code in Stockfish that makes it crash or become unresponsive, I suggest you go download the source and look it over your self.
Hi Martin,

I appreciate your support, but honestly think you are being a little too harsh here. We don't seriously expect regular users to look over the source code and try to identify bugs when the program is crashing. :)

Stockfish is rock solid on my system as well, but apparently not everywhere. We do our best to solve such problems, but we cannot promise that we will always succeed. By the way, this is one of the many reasons why going commercial is not an attractive option: Even now, I feel sorry that Lonnie and others experience problems with our program, but it would have been a nightmare to have lots of paying customers complaining that they can't make Stockfish work.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Tord,

You might be right that I was a bit too harsh in my previous post.

It's just that it was the way Lonnie wrote his post that made me a bit annoyed, to say the least.

If he really thinks it's a shame that it is displaying the behavior that he
describes, he could write a bug report with info about what has happened
instead of just saying all kinds of not-so-nice stuff.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Martin Thoresen wrote:Tord,

You might be right that I was a bit too harsh in my previous post.

It's just that it was the way Lonnie wrote his post that made me a bit annoyed, to say the least.
I understood that.
If he really thinks it's a shame that it is displaying the behavior that he describes, he could write a bug report with info about what has happened
instead of just saying all kinds of not-so-nice stuff.
True enough -- writing a bug report with all relevant info would have been the most rational and productive thing to do. But that's easy for you and me to say. It's not as easy when you're angry and frustrated that you can't get a program to work. Having been in that situation numerous times myself, I can easily forgive Lonnie for being rather outspoken this time.

:)
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Martin Thoresen wrote:Sorry but I respectfully disagree.

Stockfish is a solid engine, I have not had 1 single problem running my CPU-
intensive 4-thread gauntlet
and the game count is well over 100 games now.
No problems here with the 32-bit 1CPU version either. Well over 100 games played also for CCRL 40/40 so far.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com