The promised Rybka 3 bugfixes are on the way!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Aaron Becker

Re: The promised Rybka 3 bugfixes are on the way!

Post by Aaron Becker »

Thanks for the info, Miguel. I have the same set of pixmaps as you, so I assume the problem is that I need to use a newer xboard.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Aaron Becker wrote:Thanks for the info, Miguel. I have the same set of pixmaps as you, so I assume the problem is that I need to use a newer xboard.
I found the discussion. One year ago, xboard was broken about it and it was fixed. Most likely it is the version you are using:

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... ps#p189202

Miguel
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Christopher Conkie wrote:No one anywhere ever wanted a GUI that was able to be viewed fullscreen?

What are you... "thought police"?

Hehe :)
I just stated a fact: I never received a request for implementing non-square Chess boards that would fill a full screen. Is that too difficult to understand for you? I don't see how even warped logic could assocate that with "thought police".
I have seen many square Arena's. I have seen Arena's that looked like Winboard, but I have never seen a Winboard that looks like Arena. Maybe square is all it will be.
Why, instead of incoherently rambling about this, don't you just show us a screenshot of an Arena with a non-square full-screen Chess board, so that we can all have a good laugh... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am quite sure it would be ugly beyond belief.
hgm

Post by hgm »

michiguel wrote:This is what you have in mind for Chessbase?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ChessBase.PNG

You can have the same pieces and quality from the links I provided.

Miguel
I understand that XBoard even comes with a utility (zic2xpm) that allows you to import the ChessBase piece bitmaps, so that you can have identically the same pieces.

Never used it, of course, because I don't have ChessBase.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

hgm wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:No one anywhere ever wanted a GUI that was able to be viewed fullscreen?

What are you... "thought police"?

Hehe :)
I just stated a fact: I never received a request for implementing non-square Chess boards that would fill a full screen. Is that too difficult to understand for you? I don't see how even warped logic could assocate that with "thought police".
I have seen many square Arena's. I have seen Arena's that looked like Winboard, but I have never seen a Winboard that looks like Arena. Maybe square is all it will be.
Why, instead of incoherently rambling about this, don't you just show us a screenshot of an Arena with a non-square full-screen Chess board, so that we can all have a good laugh... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am quite sure it would be ugly beyond belief.
That is not what I meant. I meant a GUI that has no floating windows than can be maximised so that it is fullscreen.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, floating windows are obviously superior to a single one, as you can do anything with them that you could do with a single window, including creating a full-screen display. In fact, most WinBoard users do use WinBoard full screen, it seems.

So, no, we are not going to degrade WinBoard to suffer from the same limitations as Arena... The whole purpose of WinBoard is to give the user absolute control, so that he can do whatever he wants. Like a full-screen display, or tiling two WinBoards to fill the full screen, or just use a partial screen because he wants to keep something else in view, or switch off display elements that he is not interested in.
hgm

Post by hgm »

This fills enough of the screen for me (a full-screen capture demagnified 2 times for more user-friendly rendering in this forum):

And when I am playing two engines in an on-line tourney, I put them like this:

Now try that with a one-window GUI like Arena... :roll: